I'm hatching an idea.....Do you hate heel and toe? Purists, don't read this!

apollyon25

Re: I'm hatching an idea.....Do you hate heel and toe? Purists, don't read this!

Post by apollyon25 » Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:51 am

[quote="bolus"]
My brain says "dont lift" my foot says "F-U, I'm braking"   
That's what I get for driving 20 some odd years before ever getting on a track.  I know how to drive the track, where to brake, where to accelerate, how to manage oversteer and understeer, toe and heel, entry-apex-exit, left foot braking techniques, in slow out fast and all that stuff. 

I just dont have it encoded in my reflexes yet. 

But I've never been off track and the only spin I had was on purpose on an autoX track.  I respect the car and know my ability level. 
[/quote]

My brain clearly works a little differently...
Brain> Dont lift
Right Foot> F.U. I'm braking!!
Brain> You little F.er!
Left Foot> Dont worry about it Brain - Ive got it sorted.
Arms> Left Face!!
Brain> RightFoot, get your fat ass off that F.n pedal NOW!
Right Foot> Woohoo! More GAS!!!
Eyes> What, what, what <watching the armco barrier go round and round>
Stomach> I think I'm going to be sick
Sphincter> Um... Excuse me for a second...

;D

apollyon25

Re: I'm hatching an idea.....Do you hate heel and toe? Purists, don't read this!

Post by apollyon25 » Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:53 am

[quote="unknown"]
Hmm...five wires.... :P
[/quote]

Piece of cake, differential o/p amplifier, some switching and some electrickery magic.

Alec

Post by Alec » Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:56 am

In my case I was overtaking, probably at about 80/90mph, then hit the brakes to pull into a gap just before a series of bends.

I was already hard on the brakes when I realised the throttle was stuck open and I had to avoid the rear of the MPV in front, so keeping the brake applied seemed appropriate at the time.

I then shot past the MPV and had to negotiate the left-hand bend immediately while getting back onto my side of the road, in between the bends, to avoid a car coming the other way.

A second later I was hurtling round a right-hand bend which caused me to stray onto the wrong side of the road again giving me my next problem, which was to avoid a motorcycle coming up the pass.

Once I was back on the correct side of the road, missing the motorcycle, the car was a bit out of shape and heading for the rock face on the left when the throttle released itself and I continued down at a reasonable pace.

I'm not really sure that doing anything different would have been helpful but then I'll never know. It worked out OK anyway.  :tu:
Atom 245, (Atom 160 - SOLD), Yamaha XVZ1300 Royal Star, Ford Sierra 4X4 Ghia Estate, Skoda Octavia vRS Estate, VW Golf 2.0 TSI GTI (Nadine's)

bolus

Post by bolus » Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:01 am

yeah, in that situation I dont think my instinct would be to hit the ingition switch.  My hands would be white knuckled on the steering wheel. 

Alec

Post by Alec » Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:20 am

[quote="bolus"]
yeah, in that situation I dont think my instinct would be to hit the ingition switch.  My hands would be white knuckled on the steering wheel.   
[/quote]

My hands weren't quite white knuckled but taking one off the steering wheel wasn't really an option.

And as for dipping the clutch, for all the thought I gave to that idea I may as well been this guy.  Image

Atom 245, (Atom 160 - SOLD), Yamaha XVZ1300 Royal Star, Ford Sierra 4X4 Ghia Estate, Skoda Octavia vRS Estate, VW Golf 2.0 TSI GTI (Nadine's)

Heywood-Yablowme

Post by Heywood-Yablowme » Fri Feb 13, 2009 3:02 am

Alec,that sounds like it was a scary moment. However,you did not panic.

People who panic behind the wheel have no control in an emergency situation,because there is no available solution.So they crash.

The mind uses everything it has available to survive.It is resourceful.
The more imformation available,the better to survive any scenario.
Nobody wakes up one day and has the skills of a race car driver.
It come from hours and hours of seat time,and playing with the edge of control.
One of the reasons I love the track is all the things I can do out there that I can't do on public roads.
I plan on becoming a better driver every time I am behind the wheel.

You never know when you might need those skills  ;D
Last edited by Heywood-Yablowme on Fri Feb 13, 2009 3:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

dub2shoe

Post by dub2shoe » Sat May 16, 2009 1:37 am

it's just something you have to get used to.  If you were to take all the time to actually make this system work, it would act like more of a crutch than something that actually makes you drive faster.  Give it a chance and practice with it until you are proficient.  I hated it when I first started, then after mastering it I can't even drive around town without doing it.  or just get bigger shoes  ;D