Oil filter relocator?

Heywood-Yablowme

Re: Oil filter relocator?

Post by Heywood-Yablowme » Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:11 pm

You can get good quality oil pressure line that is not braided stainless. That stuff sucks to work with.  :P

bolus

Post by bolus » Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:22 pm

I'll see if it even fits.  If it fits I'll get some braided lines to match the rest of the engine.  $20 is a lot better start than $1200.  I can buy a lot of braided lines for $1180

Driver

Post by Driver » Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:00 pm

[quote="silver"]
that's the whole reason for stainless steel braided...it's the same hose inside but the stainless steel prevents it from expanding and making a bubble right?  Isnt' that why you can go buy SS kits at the local auto parts store to add to your existing rubber hoses.[/quote]

Stay away from that cr@p Silver. The add-on sleeving is NOT the same stuff used in critical situations on race prepped vehicles!  Purely a dress up/poser item for the wanna-be's in most situations unless you have a proper speed shop at your local auto parts store.

silver

Post by silver » Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:01 pm

Dually noted

Driver

Post by Driver » Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:34 pm

Dually?
Chevy, Ford or Dodge?  ;D

Seriously though.. I've seen those "stainless hoses" burst on more than one occasion. Usually the first time the owners start pushing hard.

silver

Post by silver » Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:53 am

Dually because you and Mark made the same point.......Dually hehe

bolus

Post by bolus » Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:01 am

Here is another one though substantially more expensive. 

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetai ... 4294925232
Attachments
ham-3322.jpg
ham-3322.jpg (12.41 KiB) Viewed 285 times

silver

Post by silver » Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:04 am

so, does the piece on the left replace the oil filter cap, then you add your tubes, and connect to the piece on the right, then screw in a normal looking can style oil filter to the piece on the right?

is that right?

bolus

Post by bolus » Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:06 am

Yeah I guess.  But I'm worried that the part that supposed to attach to the engine is designed to fit a typical canister style oil filter connection with the threads on the outside.  I cant find any pics of any of these with them actually flipped over.  Even though it says it is for a cobalt. 

My part's shipped already so we'll see I guess. 
Last edited by bolus on Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Driver

Post by Driver » Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:54 am

No, the red adapter is the same piece, 2 different views. You'll have a piece usually that attaches in place of the stock filter, such as that pictured, then a inlet and outlet port (as shown on the left) that goes to a outboard filter mount (not pictured) and possibly a oil cooler as well.

Here's a pict for a kit with two filters:
Attachments
9691122.jpg
9691122.jpg (8.95 KiB) Viewed 280 times

bolus

Post by bolus » Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:29 am

As suspected it wont fit.  No threads to attach to anything.  Move along, nothing to see
Attachments
IMG_0047.jpg
IMG_0047.jpg (33.81 KiB) Viewed 263 times

Heywood-Yablowme

Post by Heywood-Yablowme » Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:50 am

You are better off with the Hamburger's. That is quality stuff.

bolus

Post by bolus » Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:54 am

not going to spend $100 to find out that one wont fit either

Heywood-Yablowme

Post by Heywood-Yablowme » Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:00 am

There's will.They don't do rinky-dink. Besides,it's from Summit;they are the BEST company I have ever dealt with for problems.Returns,no fits..whatever,they WILL make it right.

bolus

Post by bolus » Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:06 am

Well, in order to fit it woud have to have threads just like the cap.  I dont see how it is going to fit on this

[img width=800 height=450]http://bolus.shackspace.com/atom/oil_filter_loc1.jpg[/img]
[img width=800 height=450]http://bolus.shackspace.com/atom/oil_filter_loc2.jpg[/img]