Oil filter relocator?

bolus

Oil filter relocator?

Post by bolus » Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:49 am

Anyone have any idea if this would actually work?  I might just order it to test it out since it is only $30
http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/searc ... 65399+6007

DarthChicken

Re: Oil filter relocator?

Post by DarthChicken » Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:01 am

No doubt it will work, but its just part of the puzzle.  You'll need lines made up, the adapter that the oil filter screws on to, brackets, etc....

That part is just the beginning.

bolus

Post by bolus » Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:32 am

I ordered it.  I have a feeling it wont fit but what the hell. 

Lane

Post by Lane » Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:45 am

[quote="bolus"]
Anyone have any idea if this would actually work?  I might just order it to test it out since it is only $30
http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/searc ... 65399+6007
[/quote]

Would be a nice option if it was useable.  But I have trouble imagining how a pair of 90 degree elbows would fit in the top of this thing and be oriented the correct direction, along with being able to attach hoses to them after the adapter is screwed in place in the block.  Knowing how hard it is to get the filter wrench to that tight location.....  What did the brammo kit look like prior to it being installed - anyone install it themselves and have a photo?
Image 300hp Ecotec Atom that is driven.  Visit my website.

Terry Kennedy

Post by Terry Kennedy » Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:52 am

[quote="Lane"]
Would be a nice option if it was useable.  But I have trouble imagining how a pair of 90 degree elbows would fit in the top of this thing and be oriented the correct direction, along with being able to attach hoses to them after the adapter is screwed in place in the block.  Knowing how hard it is to get the filter wrench to that tight location.....  What did the brammo kit look like prior to it being installed - anyone install it themselves and have a photo?
[/quote]

The Brammo kit connects where the stock oil cooler mounts. The kit includes a spring to replace the oil filter, but you keep the original oil filter cap.
Attachments
DSC03451.JPG
DSC03451.JPG (59.34 KiB) Viewed 544 times

maverick1

Post by maverick1 » Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:58 pm

When it's time to change the oil is about the same time I start wishing I had opted for Brammo's remote oil filter option... :doh:
Hopefully someone will come up with a solution since Brammo is not out of business.
cheers

Terry Kennedy

Post by Terry Kennedy » Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:06 pm

[quote="maverick1"]
When it's time to change the oil is about the same time I start wishing I had opted for Brammo's remote oil filter option... :doh:
Hopefully someone will come up with a solution since Brammo is not out of business.
[/quote]

You should be able to purchase all of the parts from TMI. Brammo never created a customer installation manual for this kit, so TMI may prefer to sell it with installation. Why don't you contact them to see how they want to handle it?

I think the only custom part was the billet aluminum mounting plate that replaces the engine-mounted oil cooler. The other parts were stock or made-to-length flex hoses.

bolus

Post by bolus » Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:23 pm

I'm looking into this part mainly because of price.  If it fits and I can put together a list of parts that others could fashion their own remote filter apparatus then I'm sure it would be a much cheeper option

silver

Post by silver » Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:52 pm

[quote="Terry Kennedy"]

I think the only custom part was the billet aluminum mounting plate that replaces the engine-mounted oil cooler. The other parts were stock or made-to-length flex hoses.
[/quote]

If that's the case then all the more reason for someone who like to make things themselves to attempt to put a working design together, especially if that person is interested in saving about 1,000 versus the retail price of the Brammo kit.

p.s. that specific part Bolus posted is under $20 at this link

http://www.car-stuff.com/carparts/chevr ... 4a7e90676a

bolus

Post by bolus » Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:54 pm

[quote="DarthChicken"]
No doubt it will work, but its just part of the puzzle.  You'll need lines made up, the adapter that the oil filter screws on to, brackets, etc....

That part is just the beginning.
[/quote]

Actually, here is the whole kit.  If this works you would just need to mount it somewhere and buy a filter
Attachments
7682[1].gif
7682[1].gif (36.84 KiB) Viewed 513 times
Last edited by bolus on Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

silver

Post by silver » Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:00 pm

in addition so far Bolus is only talking about oil filter relocation not oil cooling too....that thread is here

http://forum.atomclub.com/index.php/topic,3679.0.html

Heywood-Yablowme

Post by Heywood-Yablowme » Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:07 pm

Watch the poor quality hose that comes in those kits!! It is NOT up to racing standards.

The stuff blows up like a balloon when it gets good and hot.   And we all have seen what happens next to a fat balloon.....

Ask me how I know... ;D
Last edited by Heywood-Yablowme on Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

silver

Post by silver » Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:08 pm

how do you know ;D

well you told me to ask hahaha

Heywood-Yablowme

Post by Heywood-Yablowme » Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:13 pm

I though I blew my clutch one day at the A/X course, when all that had actually happened was 5 quarts of 20w-50 synthetic motor oil had pumped onto my rf tire...of my fwd vehicle.  What a mess. Had to relocate the course that stuff was so slippery. OOps...so sorry.

Trust me,the hose is crapola.

silver

Post by silver » Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:19 pm

that's the whole reason for stainless steel braided...it's the same hose inside but the stainless steel prevents it from expanding and making a bubble right?  Isnt' that why you can go buy SS kits at the local auto parts store to add to your existing rubber hoses.