Another Turbo build up

DarthChicken

Re: Another Turbo build up

Post by DarthChicken » Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:12 am

Went for a drive this afternoon.  Was following a friend in his STi, and I wanted to see how well the turbo spooled up, so I left the car in 4th gear most of the time.  And stayed right on his butt  :laugh:, through the mountains, up hills, around corners.  This is with wastegate pressure (7-11psi). 

This thing is going to make me a very lazy driver, there is very little need to shift most of the time  ;D

bolus

Post by bolus » Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:40 pm

when's the dyno?  we should get some video of you doing some pulls since I forgot my camera with mine

Kempo

Post by Kempo » Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:51 pm

[quote="DarthChicken"]
This thing is going to make me a very lazy driver, there is very little need to shift most of the time  ;D
[/quote]

Yeah right!!!!! most of the time in the streets in 4Th gear you won't have to shift. Wait until you hit the track. That thing will ask for an up shift in half the time it used to. First,second and third gear will seem sooooooo short.

BTW the project is looking really good. :tu:
Last edited by Kempo on Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NormLarson

Post by NormLarson » Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:53 pm

[quote="DarthChicken"]
Went for a drive this afternoon.  Was following a friend in his STi, and I wanted to see how well the turbo spooled up, so I left the car in 4th gear most of the time.  And stayed right on his butt  :laugh:, through the mountains, up hills, around corners.  This is with wastegate pressure (7-11psi). 

[/quote]

Darth, you car looks great! Excellent work.  Can't wait for this rain to stop ...

Looks like I might be dyno'ing next week myself

bolus

Post by bolus » Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:55 pm

is your car back norm?  You should post some pics.  well, more than what Tom has up on his site. 

http://www.unique-fabricating.com/galle ... pecific=23

NormLarson

Post by NormLarson » Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:58 pm

I am hoping to get it Saturday.  Tom is going to do the initial shake down after he gets the exhaust back.  FedEx says that is tomorrow

silver

Post by silver » Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:00 pm

best part is....it's only going to take 8 minutes to install the complete exhaust including headers. :D :tu:

DarthChicken

Post by DarthChicken » Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:11 pm

[quote="bolus"]
when's the dyno?  we should get some video of you doing some pulls since I forgot my camera with mine
[/quote]

No idea honestly.  Sometime soon I hope!

DarthChicken

Post by DarthChicken » Sat Apr 11, 2009 4:56 am

Little bit of an update here.

Leaned it out some more (11.8 to 12.0 AFRs with water injection).. turned up the boost some more (up to 18psi).... holy mother of god.  2nd gear spins the tires at any rpm.  3rd feels like 2nd used to.  It sounds like a bike reving, it revs SO fast now.  It's just flat out scary.  You floor it.. you're committed, and it feels like getting punched in the head.  It's disorienting. 

I love it. 

I got home tonight, tuned out a little bit of knock in my map, and turned the boost up some more.  I'll stop at 20psi (mostly because I think I've reached my target hp, and also I'm running out of MAF again.... Max is 11,100hz I'm at 10,300 right now... I'll have to start over from scratch on the tuning if it goes much higher).

In addition to all of that.. I have 221 miles on this tank of gas, and STILL have a 1/4 bar of fuel left in the tank.  About half of that is moderate driving.. some highway, and obviously 50 or so pulls to redline just because I enjoy the sound.  It'll work out to something like 28mph driving like a pirate with a lead peg leg... I'll be able to get 250-275 miles per tank driving it cross country.  That is the difference between a supercharger and a turbocharger (I'm sure running 10.5:1 compression pistons helps too).

Driver

Post by Driver » Sat Apr 11, 2009 5:06 am

Sounds great! You going to give me my first smile plastered ride at AtomFest again this year Darth? ;D

DarthChicken

Post by DarthChicken » Sat Apr 11, 2009 5:17 am

I won't be at atomfest this time.  My wife is due July 23rd with out daughter, and so all vacation time is being used there.

Driver

Post by Driver » Sat Apr 11, 2009 6:48 am

Daughter, that's right you mentioned it before. Congrats! So what's the leading contender for a name? Do I see Ariel somewhere in the running? :)

DarthChicken

Post by DarthChicken » Sat Apr 11, 2009 3:08 pm

I had Ariel worked into it.. the disneyland connection.  I was home free.  And then one of her cousins went and got married to an Ariel.  So I'm trying to work that into the middle name now.  I go by my middle name, so if I can pull it off, I can still work it.

(I'm not sure if I want my daughter named after something so FAST though, ya know?  :D )

bolus

Post by bolus » Sat Apr 11, 2009 5:22 pm

[quote="DarthChicken"]
Little bit of an update here.

Leaned it out some more (11.8 to 12.0 AFRs with water injection).. turned up the boost some more (up to 18psi).... holy mother of god.  2nd gear spins the tires at any rpm.  3rd feels like 2nd used to.  It sounds like a bike reving, it revs SO fast now.  It's just flat out scary.  You floor it.. you're committed, and it feels like getting punched in the head.  It's disorienting. 

I love it. 

I got home tonight, tuned out a little bit of knock in my map, and turned the boost up some more.  I'll stop at 20psi (mostly because I think I've reached my target hp, and also I'm running out of MAF again.... Max is 11,100hz I'm at 10,300 right now... I'll have to start over from scratch on the tuning if it goes much higher).

In addition to all of that.. I have 221 miles on this tank of gas, and STILL have a 1/4 bar of fuel left in the tank.  About half of that is moderate driving.. some highway, and obviously 50 or so pulls to redline just because I enjoy the sound.  It'll work out to something like 28mph driving like a pirate with a lead peg leg... I'll be able to get 250-275 miles per tank driving it cross country.  That is the difference between a supercharger and a turbocharger (I'm sure running 10.5:1 compression pistons helps too).

[/quote]

This post makes me want to go turn up my boost but then I realize I redline 2nd gear in about 0.5 seconds and redline 3rd gear in about 1 second.  I cant shift fast enough for my damn car even with the paddle shifters.  I shift into second and then immediately hit the paddle so when I hit redline I just depress the clutch.  I still seem to spend more time between shifts than accelerating.  Literally pushing the clutch in and out as fast as I can takes longer than going from 2000 to 7000 RPM in second gear.  Plus the car is half sideways when I do that too. 

I need the old Nintendo reflexes that I had when I was 18. 

I can see your daughter now at 18 on a date:  "Ariel is a pretty name,  is that your grandmother's name of something?"  "No, my dad named me after his car...  ::)  ::)  ::) "

Driver

Post by Driver » Sat Apr 11, 2009 7:53 pm

It could be worse. He could be considering Mercedes or Porsche which would be fine if you were from Spain or the like but is entirely different when your named that in Middle America. Or any of a plethora of other stripper names. ;D