Another Turbo build up

McFred

Re: Another Turbo build up

Post by McFred » Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:41 am

Way cool!  Where did you get that piece custom bent like that?  Or is it some U-bends cut and welded?

DarthChicken

Post by DarthChicken » Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:48 am

Its some aluminum welded up - a couple 90s and some straight pipe.

bolus

Post by bolus » Sun Mar 08, 2009 4:51 am

is it wrapped?  Or does the camera just make the intake look really white

DarthChicken

Post by DarthChicken » Sun Mar 08, 2009 6:16 am

It just looks really white because somebody switched out the bead blast media in Jeff's plaster with something really gritty.  So its not smooth at all, and what you're seeing is aluminum with a sandpaper finish.  Its pretty crappy looking to be honest, but it'll be covered soon enough.

As for the codes.. thinking back on it, I think what happened was that when it did it's thing, I shut the car off, turned it back on, and I could hear the throttle body going "click click click".  So I took all the covers off, took the intercooler pipe off, and pushed a little with my finger on the throttle body.  And it felt like it was barely hung up on something.. like a piece of grit or aluminum was stuck along the wall trapped between the inside of the body and the throttle plate. Once I moved it by hand a couple of times, it seemed to be fine, and the car started right up. So I'm thinking with all of the welding/polishing/grinding, something might have gotten sucked up when I rev'd the engine hard.  I'll try it again tomorrow, after taking my shop vac to the inside of the intake manifold, just to make sure there isn't something bouncing around in there.

DarthChicken

Post by DarthChicken » Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:02 pm

Sometimes I work from home.. today its 56 degrees outside, the sun is shining, and a perfect day to do some 3rd gear pulls on my favorite little stretch of straight road.  I did forget about the big bump about halfway down and got a little airborn though  :o

The throttle body thing must have been a fluke.  Its never happened again.  The car is responding well to tuning, and I've got the wastegate tune down.  I'm definitely getting some boost creep, so I'll have to keep an eye on that, but I think the turbo just wants to GO, LOL (creeping from 7psi up to 11psi at redline).  Time to put the manual boost controller on it though, and crank up the power.  At redline (11psi) you can feel it starting to definitely pick up some speed.  At 20psi, its going to be a handful, no doubt about it.

AIT2 temps (post turbo and intercooler) are about 45-50 degrees higher than ambient at these boost levels.  They are also dropping as the RPMs climb, so I know my water injection is doing its job.  I'm glad I went with the simple solution of using the stock intercooler setup.

Injector duty cycle at redline - 40%  :laugh:  I'm also only running at a calculated cyl airmass of 1.01gram at redline - max is 1.36, so plenty of of room for more boost.

:tu: :tu: :tu:

Heywood-Yablowme

Post by Heywood-Yablowme » Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:11 pm

You running 60lb injectors?

DarthChicken

Post by DarthChicken » Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:20 pm

yes, 60s with the walboro pump.

bolus

Post by bolus » Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:31 pm

what's the max boost on that turbo?

hey, do you ever throw out any heads up displays?  I was wondering if I could retro fit on into the dash. 

DarthChicken

Post by DarthChicken » Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:43 pm

Max boost that I should run with this turbo is something like 25psi.  WAY more than I intend on running.

I think our "low end" HUD is something like $150k.  And you'd have no place to put it on the atom, you need something (like a roof) to hang the overhead from  :D.  And 24V power, and sensors to hook up to it and ......

bolus

Post by bolus » Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:59 pm

you dont have any used ones?  or ones that have a scartch so you throw it in a dumpster?    or maybe just 'misplace' one in the back of your car

DarthChicken

Post by DarthChicken » Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:21 am

I think you need to take a couple hours off and come down to Wilsonville for a tour.  :laugh:

DarthChicken

Post by DarthChicken » Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:23 pm

Got the intercooler tubes back.. they are BEAUTIFUL, especially if you like black  8)

More of a satin crinkle finish, that matches the panels perfectly.  The tube inside the intake just disappears, except for my "white" (clear) water injection hose... might have to get some black hose there, just because. 

[img width=800 height=450]http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh12 ... C00201.jpg[/img]

[img width=800 height=450]http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh12 ... C00203.jpg[/img]

[img width=800 height=450]http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh12 ... C00204.jpg[/img]

[img width=800 height=450]http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh12 ... C00206.jpg[/img]

[img width=800 height=450]http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh12 ... C00207.jpg[/img]

Now if the weather would just behave for more than 2 or 3 hours at a time, I could get some driving in!

1965Cobra427

Post by 1965Cobra427 » Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:30 am

Very nice - packaging and finish.  :tu: :tu:

positron

Post by positron » Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:59 am

Very nice..    *cough* time for some videos... *cough*

Gage

Post by Gage » Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:53 am

I'm inspired and drooling with envy.  It looks great!