Another Turbo build up

J_Edwards

Re: Another Turbo build up

Post by J_Edwards » Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:02 pm

bolus

Post by bolus » Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:22 pm

[quote="DarthChicken"]
Jeff has some metal grating material he's used to put inside MAF tubes before to help "straighten" the air.  I think we're gonna try that first, if it works great, easy fix.  If not.. more cutting and welding. 
[/quote]

I was just thinking, I still have that LS4 MAF I forgot to return.  It has the honeycomb grating material in it.  If you need some more material you can have that and gut it for the grating.  It is a 3" housing too so you could just chop off the MAF side and use the rest o the tube with the grating in it

It looks a little like this. 
Attachments
578038[1].jpg
578038[1].jpg (26.03 KiB) Viewed 836 times
Last edited by bolus on Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DarthChicken

Post by DarthChicken » Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:48 pm

I have the day off.. so I've been out playing in the sun.

Looks like we missed the length by 4".  That's all I needed to add.. 4".  :doh: 

I'll be replacing the silicon coupler added into this picture with hard pipe welded to the existing pipe

[img width=800 height=450]http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh12 ... C00171.jpg[/img]

For future reference, that's 18" from the turbo to the MAF, measured on the outside of the bend.  And somewhere, that 18" number rings a bell...

J_Edwards

Post by J_Edwards » Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:55 pm

That is much cleaner looking than the previous Refueling Nozzle esque intake setup.

Seems logical that simply adding a bit of length should cut down on the turbulence and give you a lot more accurate MAF readings.

Man I love your frame color... sweet.

Kempo

Post by Kempo » Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:10 pm

[quote="DarthChicken"]
It was actually quiet with that plate on... a little raspy, but not bad.

This is much better  ;D

[img width=800 height=450]http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh12 ... C00141.jpg[/img]

[img width=800 height=450]http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh12 ... C00142.jpg[/img]

[img width=800 height=450]http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh12 ... C00143.jpg[/img]
[/quote]

Hey Darth,

On a different subject. I was looking at some of your pictures and noticed you don't have a "T" on your oil return line from the turbo. I was told by tech support from Hahn that I needed to use a "T" to put a hose from the return line to the cover in front of the water pump. This had to be done in order to have good oil return using the crank plug fitting. I will post a pic soon.

Kempo

Post by Kempo » Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:23 pm

Pictures
Attachments
return.jpg
return.jpg (25.06 KiB) Viewed 825 times
return2.jpg
return2.jpg (22.73 KiB) Viewed 810 times

bolus

Post by bolus » Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:25 pm

I'm confused.  what is that again? 

I just have the oil drain straight from the bottom of the turbo to the pan

DarthChicken

Post by DarthChicken » Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:23 am

I think that "T" is there because the drain is only about 1/2" or so through the oil drain.  However, on garrett turbos, you have to use a restrictor to reduce the oil pressure/flow, otherwise the seals leak and you end up with a smokescrean.  Result is a lot less oil flowing through the turbo.

On Eric's car with the 20g, he's using a big enough drain it won't be a problem.  My car has a restrictor.  Your car.. I can see it POSSIBLY being a problem (but it is a 20G which are pretty bulletproof.. so who knows).

AustrianAtom

Post by AustrianAtom » Sat Feb 21, 2009 1:45 am

Hy

ONLY the Garret BALL BEARING Turbos need that rstrictor, the normal journal bearing Turbos need the Pressure!!

Kempo

Post by Kempo » Sat Feb 21, 2009 4:13 am

I assumed it was to help the oil flow easier to the crank case by allowing any excess oil to go trough the second hose back to the crank case, since the primary one connects well below the oil level. You are right about the restrictor in your BB turbo. You should be ok. Just wanted to give you a heads up on that just in case you get some smoke on the exhaust when you start  boosting up to the red line.

Kempo

Post by Kempo » Sat Feb 21, 2009 4:20 am

[quote="bolus"]
I'm confused.  what is that again? 

I just have the oil drain straight from the bottom of the turbo to the pan

[/quote]

Darth's turbo oil return drain and mine are on the oil plug on the deepest part of the crank case well bellow oil level. That may lead to the need of that second hose the Hahn sent for my application. Not necessarily the same case for Darth's application due to the restrictor he mentioned

DarthChicken

Post by DarthChicken » Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:07 am

Also in our favor Kempo is that the oil pickup is fairly close to the plug.

DarthChicken

Post by DarthChicken » Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:14 am

New intake is made.  Here are the mockups I did, followed by the finished pieces.  I'm probably going to powdercoat all the intercooler and intake piping black.

mockup
[img width=800 height=450]http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh12 ... C00179.jpg[/img]

finished piece
[img width=800 height=450]http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh12 ... C00180.jpg[/img]

Rev'd the car, AFRs looked good.. right up until the car went into limp mode and threw a P2176, P1516, and P2119 codes.  Not sure what to make of all those codes at the same time, looks like the throttle plate got stuck almost or something.  :-\ 

bolus

Post by bolus » Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:44 am

Looks good..  Yeah, is your throttle blade catching on that angled bracket somehow?

silver

Post by silver » Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:45 am

Yay progress....intake looks great is it aluminum?