Another Turbo build up

DarthChicken

Another Turbo build up

Post by DarthChicken » Tue Dec 30, 2008 5:36 pm

Today, I'm starting my build.

I've started by doing the hard part - getting out the visa and ordering parts.    :-\

GT2871R turbo
Vulcan Turbo exhaust manifold
60lb injectors
SC delete kit from ATP turbo
Hahn Racing oiling kit (feed and return)

My intent is to use the stock intake manifold, and relocate the throttle body on to it.  So it will be facing forwards, instead of off to the side as it is on the supercharger.  I'm going to have Perrin Performance build me an intercooler, that sits in the same place Bolus' does.  So, I will have dual charge cooling - air to air, and then air to water.  Should be pretty effective.

I chose the GT2871R turbo after doing some research, and seeing some others results.  20G - too laggy for me.  GT3071R - better, but still a little laggy, and I'm not looking for 400whp+.  My goal is little to no lag, 350-375whp... and the GT2871R turbo should fit the bill nicely.

This also keeps me from having to do anything too crazy with the fueling.  No return fuel line, no change in pump should be needed (I HOPE!), etc...  And with any luck, the stock clutch will hold up at that power level as well.

As parts start to arrive over the next couple weeks, I'll be putting up pictures.  I'll also have some parts for sale as well, and will be putting them up (2 different sets of injectors, my exhaust setup that's on the car now, supercharger, 2.9" pulley, stock Atom ECU, etc...).

Tentative build date is set at Jan 24th and 25th.  The exhaust manifold has to be built, but I've been in contact with Vulcan turbo, and he's going to work with me to make sure I'm happy with his manifold.

Heywood-Yablowme

Re: Another Turbo build up

Post by Heywood-Yablowme » Tue Dec 30, 2008 5:41 pm

:pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop:

DarthChicken

Post by DarthChicken » Tue Dec 30, 2008 5:45 pm

One of the questions I've been asked by a number of people is "why"?

- price for hp.  I intend on doing this full buildup for less than $1900.  Exhaust work, intercooler work, turbo... everything.  Obviously that includes selling some parts off to recoupe some expenses.  One of the big pluses for me is that I don't have to pay for labor - just parts (and a case of beer).  By my calcs, I'll pick up 80whp, for $1900 = $23.75 per HP.

- I don't believe the Harrop solution is a great solution.  I haven't seen any dyno results worth talking about yet.  330whp.. and total cost out the door is close to $3000 (injectors, charger, custom fab work needed to make it work on the atom).  I can get 270whp out of my car day in and day out with the stock supercharger - so you're going to pay $50 per horsepower for that upgrade... double the turbo.

Turbos have another great feature - more mid range power.  By a superchargers very nature, you're not hitting full boost until redline.  The faster you rev the engine, the faster the pulley turns.  With a GT2871R turbo, I can hit 20psi of boost by 3500rpm!

bolus

Post by bolus » Tue Dec 30, 2008 5:59 pm

Wooo!

Bottoz

Post by Bottoz » Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:07 pm

Awesome! Have fun!

bolus

Post by bolus » Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:19 pm

so is the manifold going to be custom?  One issue with mine is getting the turbo to fit in front of the frame components. 

DarthChicken

Post by DarthChicken » Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:33 pm

I've spoken to the guy who runs Vulcan, and he assures me it'll fit.  The turbo flange is angled down at 45 degrees, and after doing some measurements, we figure it'll fit fine.  If it doesn't... I'll show him where it doesn't fit, and he'll build me a new one.  His words are that its designed to put a turbo in a car with a firewall 9 to 10 inches away from the head of the engine.  Well... I meausured the atom, and came in at 9 3/4" from head to frame rail.

Here is a pic of the manifolds.. he also offers an external wastegate option for an additional (minimal cost), but I'm not interested in spending the money on an external wastegate (another $225 or so).

We know there's a possibility it won't fit, but he's willing to work with me, on the short time frame I'm talking about getting this done in, so he's got my business.  :tu:

bolus

Post by bolus » Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:53 pm

Here is the fitting problem the stock hahn  cobalt manifold had.  It is very similar in shape to the one you are getting.
Attachments
IMG_3585.JPG
IMG_3585.JPG (123.43 KiB) Viewed 1406 times

bolus

Post by bolus » Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:53 pm

another
Attachments
IMG_3586.JPG
IMG_3586.JPG (108.5 KiB) Viewed 1400 times

bolus

Post by bolus » Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:54 pm

one more
Attachments
IMG_3587.JPG
IMG_3587.JPG (124.08 KiB) Viewed 1382 times

Heywood-Yablowme

Post by Heywood-Yablowme » Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:08 pm

Just cut that bar out of the way.. :o

DarthChicken

Post by DarthChicken » Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:16 pm

Thanks for those pictures Bolus.  I've sent them along to Vulcan, so maybe we can head off any problems ahead of time.  He's estimating shipment to me on Friday or Monday.  :tu:

bolus

Post by bolus » Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:22 pm

Yeah, it will be hard to know the fit without the turbo right in there
Attachments
detail_106_Garrett_GT2871RS_Turbo[1].jpg
detail_106_Garrett_GT2871RS_Turbo[1].jpg (9.39 KiB) Viewed 1379 times

DarthChicken

Post by DarthChicken » Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:50 pm

Actually, this one  ;D

bolus

Post by bolus » Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:32 am

google images failed me.  Looks like the housing is the same shape as mine so it is just a matter of if it fits in that space. 

Since you are going to have the intercooler, have you thought about porting the intake manifold wide open to improve airflow?  The cobalt guys are seeing some gains by porting suggesting some restrition from the manifold itself.