Another Turbo build up

Gage

Re: Another Turbo build up

Post by Gage » Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:10 pm

So you decided not to install an air to air intercooler into the set up working in tandem with the stock cooling system,  correct?    Why?  Overkill?  Cost?  Works as is?

DarthChicken

Post by DarthChicken » Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:25 pm

I could give you a bunch or reasons, but basically... cost vs. necessity.  AIT2 temps aren't an issue.

silver

Post by silver » Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:38 am

[quote="DarthChicken"]
I could give you a bunch or reasons, but basically... cost vs. necessity.  AIT2 temps aren't an issue.
[/quote]

I have a beginner question, but it's never been explained so I'm curious.

If turbo's use exhaust gas to go IN the air intake, how are they not too hot?

does the turbo cool it down?

Kempo

Post by Kempo » Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:47 am

[quote="silver"]
[quote="DarthChicken"]
[/quote]

I have a beginner question, but it's never been explained so I'm curious.

If turbo's use exhaust gas to go IN the air intake, how are they not too hot?

does the turbo cool it down?
[/quote]

Exhaust gas never goes to the intake. It spins a turbine that has a shaft that has the compressor on the other side. After that the exhaust gas goes down the exhaust system and out the back. The compressor being moved by the shaft moved by the turbine forces clean air into the engine. the center section is usually cooled with oil and coolant from the engine. That way the compressor side stays cooler than the turbine side. The color on this picture represents the "hot" and "cold" side on the turbo.
Attachments
swap_turbo_cutaway.jpg

silver

Post by silver » Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:49 am

and now it makes sense...thanks!

maverick1

Post by maverick1 » Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:59 am

For those of us who are not as mechanically proficient as others, does anyone offer a turbo kit complete with install, and if so what kind of HP do they put out, and what if any engine modifications are required....ie pistons, rods, cams, injectors etc.
My car dynoed at the wheels around 227hp with the Brammo 245 Atom.
I'd be more than happy with 325hp at the wheels.

Gage

Post by Gage » Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:25 am

[quote="maverick1"]
does anyone offer a turbo kit complete with install, and if so what kind of HP do they put out, and what if any engine modifications are required....ie pistons, rods, cams, injectors etc. [/quote]

I asked Darth if I could just copy his installation and he said... "Mine is too grown up for you."   ;)  

However, I'm sure there are guys here like D. Chicken who would be very happy to help you get all the hardware together.   Then off to a fabricator and a tuner.  
Last edited by Gage on Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

DarthChicken

Post by DarthChicken » Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:48 am

I've pretty much layer it all out for everybody in this thread.  You will need somebody that can weld.  Beyond that, it's just collecting parts.

Honestly the reason I don't build 10 of these and sell them is the customer service side of things.  Some of you would never be happy - you are exactly like me, the only way to be satisfied 100% is to do it yourself.

silver

Post by silver » Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:06 am

[quote="Gage"]
[quote="maverick1"]
does anyone offer a turbo kit complete with install, and if so what kind of HP do they put out, and what if any engine modifications are required....ie pistons, rods, cams, injectors etc. [/quote]

I asked Darth if I could just copy his installation and he said... "Mine is too grown up for you."   ;)  

However, I'm sure there are guys here like D. Chicken who would be very happy to help you get all the hardware together.   Then off to a fabricator and a tuner.  

[/quote]

def too grown up for me!

DarthChicken

Post by DarthChicken » Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:32 am

Definitely too grown up for you silver.  You have to get your drivers license first.  I can only assume that's why you haven't driven your car all summer  ::)

Kempo

Post by Kempo » Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:13 am

An update on my turbo build. After many many track days with my turbo installed on the Atom my stock clutch finally gave up on me. I decided to go with a clutch masters twin disc kit and the difference is night and day. After testing the new one on the street I'm quite sure the stock clutch was slipping since day one after the turbo went in. At the beginning I noticed the slippage on the stock one on hard up shifts.  When up shifting an releasing the clutch pedal the the revs would stay quite high and then in fractions of a second go down. With the new clutch when I release the pedal I feel the solid clamping power from the clutch and the car leaps forward.  The pedal  effort only went up a little bit. Pedal effort was my main reason for going with the twin disc over the exedy hyper single. Weight was the secondary factor on my decision. The twin disc is about half the weight of the stock. TD is 16.5 lbs vs 31 lbs on the stock clutch assembly. The engine now revs a LOT quicker than before. The car definitely feels faster on the street. I will have to wait until next weekend to see how it works on the track. All of you guys thinking about going turbo or who have the turbo already installed should think about upgrading the clutch. Darth have you noticed any of this slippage on your car? Here are some pictures of the Clutch Masters TD.  If the link doesn't work copy and paste it on your browser.

https://cid-1ac6f2642272029d.skydrive.l ... uPRdTls%24
Last edited by Kempo on Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

DarthChicken

Post by DarthChicken » Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:22 am

No, but I don't run slicks, my tires slip, LOL.

Actually, I could smell my clutch on the dyno a few times.  I figure it will give out on me next year, with the larger tires.

silver

Post by silver » Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:43 am

[quote="Kempo"]
An update on my turbo build. After many many track days with my turbo installed on the Atom my stock clutch finally gave up on me. I decided to go with a clutch masters twin disc kit and the difference is night and day. After testing the new one on the street I'm quite sure the stock clutch was slipping since day one after the turbo went in. At the beginning I noticed the slippage on the stock one on hard up shifts.  When up shifting an releasing the clutch pedal the the revs would stay quite high and then in fractions of a second go down. With the new clutch when I release the pedal I feel the solid clamping power from the clutch and the car leaps forward.  The pedal  effort only went up a little bit. Pedal effort was my main reason for going with the twin disc over the exedy hyper single. Weight was the secondary factor on my decision. The twin disc is about half the weight of the stock. TD is 16.5 lbs vs 31 lbs on the stock clutch assembly. The engine now revs a LOT quicker than before. The car definitely feels faster on the street. I will have to wait until next weekend to see how it works on the track. All of you guys thinking about going turbo or who have the turbo already installed should think about upgrading the clutch. Darth have you noticed any of this slippage on your car? Here are some pictures of the Clutch Masters TD.  If the link doesn't work copy and paste it on your browser.

[/quote]

are you still running stock pistons and stock internals?

Kempo

Post by Kempo » Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:02 am

[quote="silver"]
[quote="Kempo"]

[/quote]

are you still running stock pistons and stock internals?
[/quote]

Yes I am and still running strong.  :tu: