Putting my car back together......

benyeats

Re: Putting my car back together......

Post by benyeats » Sun Dec 14, 2008 5:48 pm

Alec wrote:
benyeats wrote:
dingo wrote: Sodor

from http://www.sodor-island.net/thomasthetankengineman.html

"Wilbert Awdry was approaching 82 when I first met him. I had gone along because my mother, who lived not far away in Wiltshire,
had been asked to write a profile for a regular column in The Oldie magazine that was titled 'Still With Us' The Reverend was an ideal topic for this page. I wanted to meet the author of my childhood.

His modest home was better known by its name, "Sodor".
Inside, the hallway behind the front door was hung with pictures of Wilbert as a handsome young man, in one of which he was part of a pre-war Oxford rowing team."
I met him when I was very young ( <5 years probably) I think he has a Cambridgeshire connection as well, specifically the village of Elsworth near here wher I think he may have been reverend.
You have a good memory Ben, to be able to remember meeting someone from when you were so young (although you only have to think back half as far as I do  ;) ).

No wonder you can recall all the strange facts that earns you the 'Anorak Award' every year.

I did a quick search and you were spot on about him having a Cambridgeshire connection. (first point toward next year's award :tu: )
He subsequently moved to Cambridgeshire, serving as Rector of Elsworth with Knapwell, 1946-53, and Vicar of Emneth, 1953-65. He retired from full-time ministry in 1965, and moved to Stroud, Gloucestershire.
Just trying to establish when the Bluebell visit was as some web sites say stepney moved to the railway in 1960 but am sure the event was his introduction, perhaps after restoration or something.  Will ask mother later.

Ben

AtomMadStew

Post by AtomMadStew » Sun Dec 14, 2008 7:27 pm

After reading all that i think i'll start a geek of the week thread

Alec

Post by Alec » Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:20 am

[quote="benyeats"]
Just trying to establish when the Bluebell visit was as some web sites say stepney moved to the railway in 1960 but am sure the event was his introduction, perhaps after restoration or something.  Will ask mother later.

Ben
[/quote]

If you mean the 'real' Bluebell Railway in East Sussex, then that was opened in 1960 and the 'real' engine Stepney was the first engines they acquired which arrived there on 17th May 1960.

But if you mean the book, 'Stepney, the "Bluebell" Engine', that was first published on 15th August 1963 and Stepney's visit was in the first of the four stories contained within it (There was a signed 1st edition of this book at auction in 2000).

[quote="AtomStew"]
After reading all that i think i'll start a geek of the week thread
[/quote]

If you did so then Ben would deservedly win hands down as most of his information comes from memory.

Mine is mainly from searches.

Atom 245, (Atom 160 - SOLD), Yamaha XVZ1300 Royal Star, Ford Sierra 4X4 Ghia Estate, Skoda Octavia vRS Estate, VW Golf 2.0 TSI GTI (Nadine's)

benyeats

Post by benyeats » Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:10 am

[quote="Alec"]
[quote="benyeats"]

Ben
[/quote]

If you mean the 'real' Bluebell Railway in East Sussex, then that was opened in 1960 and the 'real' engine Stepney was the first engines they acquired which arrived there on 17th May 1960.

But if you mean the book, 'Stepney, the "Bluebell" Engine', that was first published on 15th August 1963 and Stepney's visit was in the first of the four stories contained within it (There was a signed 1st edition of this book at auction in 2000).

[/quote]

Yes I mean the 'real' Bluebell railway which runs from Horsted Keynes to Sheffield Park (and now to a third station somewhere near East Grinstead but it didn't when I were a lad)

However I suspect that the event I went to was the first time that Stepney was decorated with a Thomas the tank engine face, was also around the time the TV programme first appeared narrated by Ringo Starr (just to make a Scouse connection for you Alec) so all makes sense.

No time to goto the Bluebell when I am home for Christmas but will make the effort during '09 as it is a really good day out.

Ben