Hens teeth

wisp

Re: Hens teeth

Post by wisp » Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:40 pm

Excellent. What's is made of? Are those soldered or brazed joints?

silver

Post by silver » Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:16 am

[quote="bolus"]
I had a nice forum vacation.  I was so productive.  I'm still erked over what the "owners club" should do to help owners but no need to debate it further. 

Look what I got built with my free time.  a 1:10 scale model of the atom frame.  You brits can feel free to sue me on behalf of Ariel if you like for international copyright violation :)    It isnt painted yet.    I'm working on the suspension and will add shocks out of a RC nitro car.  the panels will be fiberglass or aluminum depending on what I can make work.  I'll try and fit in a nitro RC engine but if that doesn't work I'll just make it a model

[img width=800 height=450]http://bolus.shackspace.com/atom/model/ ... plete2.jpg[/img]
[img width=800 height=450]http://bolus.shackspace.com/atom/model/ ... plete3.jpg[/img]
[img width=800 height=450]http://bolus.shackspace.com/atom/model/ ... plete4.jpg[/img]

[/quote]

HOLY sh1t BOLUS

John Lloyd

Post by John Lloyd » Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:38 am

You could only afford the small pipe bender then?  ;) ;D

Alec

Post by Alec » Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:51 am

Brilliant.  :o  I can't wait to see it finished.

Makes the Argos RC model look pathetic.
Atom 245, (Atom 160 - SOLD), Yamaha XVZ1300 Royal Star, Ford Sierra 4X4 Ghia Estate, Skoda Octavia vRS Estate, VW Golf 2.0 TSI GTI (Nadine's)

tarsman013

Post by tarsman013 » Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:03 am

[quote="bolus"]
I had a nice forum vacation.  I was so productive.  I'm still erked over what the "owners club" should do to help owners but no need to debate it further. 

Look what I got built with my free time.  a 1:10 scale model of the atom frame.  You brits can feel free to sue me on behalf of Ariel if you like for international copyright violation :)    It isnt painted yet.    I'm working on the suspension and will add shocks out of a RC nitro car.  the panels will be fiberglass or aluminum depending on what I can make work.  I'll try and fit in a nitro RC engine but if that doesn't work I'll just make it a model

[img width=800 height=450]http://bolus.shackspace.com/atom/model/ ... plete2.jpg[/img]
[img width=800 height=450]http://bolus.shackspace.com/atom/model/ ... plete3.jpg[/img]
[img width=800 height=450]http://bolus.shackspace.com/atom/model/ ... plete4.jpg[/img]

[/quote]

wow im speechless
just thats freaking amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
i want one  pwease  ;D

y not go brushless, it would fit the atom correctly cause of the power to weight ratio
Last edited by tarsman013 on Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

bolus

Post by bolus » Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:04 am

The hoop is solid aluminum because I could not find a 1/4" tube bender that would do more than 90 degrees.  the others were bent by hand.  the whole thing is just eye-balled.  solder didn't work so I used JB weld.  brilliant stuff.  

I found 1mm wide bolts to use instead of rivets
[img width=800 height=450]http://bolus.shackspace.com/atom/model/ ... plete1.jpg[/img]

Mr.Woolery

Post by Mr.Woolery » Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:35 am

WOW!  That's great.  :tu:

wisp

Post by wisp » Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:40 am

I hope you finish it. You will end up with something very unique (just like the real thing), as scarce as "hens teeth".  ;D

Heywood-Yablowme

Post by Heywood-Yablowme » Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:42 am

HA! And I thought you were off on some sunny beach tanning yourself.  8)   I knew better,really. :tu:

When I was 16 I wanted a 1974 Husqvarna WR250 in the worst way.I even made a model of one out of wire and solder. ;D

Image A year later,I bought one,new.A leftover. Don't have the bike anymore,but I still got the model.

Not as cool as your Atom frame though :tu:
Last edited by Heywood-Yablowme on Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

positron

Post by positron » Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:33 am

Bolus, damn fine job.. now only 5.6 months to go..  :tu:

Please start a thread to show your build, just like the old days when Joe would send us updates.. I really miss those times, it really gave us something to look forward to.

Can you really make CF that small??

CalScot

Post by CalScot » Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:25 am

[quote="ftw  (for the win)"]
HA! And I thought you were off on some sunny beach tanning yourself.  8)   I knew better,really. :tu:

When I was 16 I wanted a 1974 Husqvarna WR250 in the worst way.I even made a model of one out of wire and solder. ;D

Image A year later,I bought one,new.A leftover. Don't have the bike anymore,but I still got the model.

Not as cool as your Atom frame though :tu:
[/quote]
Thats no a Husky Laddie, that's more a Maico or a Bultaco.  :laugh:     

ross

Post by ross » Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:18 am

Looks absolutely fabulous Bolus - nice work!

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:52 am

Looks lovely so far...

I've been trying to get a toy manufacturer to make a model Atom for years. Three things stop it happening.

1. You can't die cast the Atom...

2. Manufacturers who can make the special sort of car you'd need demand a stack of cash for the prototype. Maybe they could use yours as the prototype - and you could get some cash for that - and then they could go into production.

3. There was one company prepared to do a scale model - but at about $10k a pop I thought that was probably a bit steep for most owners!

I can give you the details of the companies I've been talking to. I think with all toy companies these days (UK and USA as well as everywhere else) they do the prototyping and manufacturing in China. To give you an idea, they reckoned that a prototype ready for production would cost at least $25k
Ariel Atom Owners Club founder, based in Central London

benyeats

Post by benyeats » Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:22 pm

Looks absolutely amazing, really good job.  Are you going for individual or separate seats ? 

Ben

bolus

Post by bolus » Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:16 pm

[quote="Bruce Fielding"]
I can give you the details of the companies I've been talking to. I think with all toy companies these days (UK and USA as well as everywhere else) they do the prototyping and manufacturing in China. To give you an idea, they reckoned that a prototype ready for production would cost at least $25k
[/quote]

Nah, this is just a past-time.  And it's not exactly precision work.  I'm just out in the garage holding up bits of aluminum tube up the air with the car behind and making rough guesses as to where to glue. 

It will be a single seat since that will probably be easier to mold out of fiberglass.  I did not add the under seat supports like the Brammo cars had.