Exhaust removal

wisp

Re: Exhaust removal

Post by wisp » Mon Oct 06, 2008 5:22 am

You might want to add a swivel joint to you combination. It looks like the pipe will be in the way of getting directly on the nut with a straight extension bar.

I would go: ratchet wrench/extension bar/universal swivel joint/thin wall medium deep socket.

edit:
[quote="maverick1"]
Here is a pic of that wonderful tool.
[/quote]

Oh I see you have worked that out while I was posting.  :tu:

maverick1

Post by maverick1 » Mon Oct 06, 2008 5:51 am

Wisp, it was a struggle but not too bad if you have the right tool.

Does anyone know if the bottom hose is a standard hose, or is it specific to the Atom. When I took a look at the hose it looked to be a little toasted by the exhaust leak and I think it would be wise to replace it.
If anyone knows the part number I would be grateful.
cheers
Attachments
015 [640x480].JPG
015 [640x480].JPG (68.16 KiB) Viewed 269 times

bolus

Post by bolus » Mon Oct 06, 2008 5:54 am

looks like a "gates rubber company" hose :)  It's probably be the same on the cobalt.  Brammo didn't make too many changes to the engine parts

maverick1

Post by maverick1 » Mon Oct 06, 2008 5:38 pm

[quote="bolus"]
looks like a "gates rubber company" hose :)  It's probably be the same on the cobalt.  Brammo didn't make too many changes to the engine parts
[/quote]
Thank you sir... any idea on the part number? What is that an upper rad hose? Hard to tell when it's in another application.
Are you still thinking about Hawaii?
cheers

bolus

Post by bolus » Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:00 pm

Not sure, I was just reading the name on the hose in your picture. :)  try a GM dealer parts department though probably any ol hose would work their assuming it is the right diameter. 

John H

Post by John H » Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:47 pm

[quote="Heywood"]
Is Hi-Tech building you a custom exhaust,or do they have a system for the Ecotec?  I went to their website,but nothing about the Atom there.
At least the majority of the Brammo Atom is a sound,solid unit.With a few tweaks,it can be a world beater. ;)
[/quote]
talk to Calscot about this...he is well up on Hi-tec........I believe he has had a couple of systems built for him
cheers
JH

maverick1

Post by maverick1 » Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:02 pm

I thought I would share this story with you guys.
One day I went over to Calscot's place with my Atom and he noticed that I had an exhaust leak, that one of my gaskets had blown out.
Well, since we did not have another gasket to replace the old one, Peter or should I say MacGyver decided to fabricate one for me using a tin can...no kidding.
Well I thought I'd tell this story since I took apart my exhaust the other day and his tin can gasket was still going strong. How about that...Brammo's piece of crap exhaust blew up but the tin can gasket held up perfectly.
Here is a pic of Peter's masterpiece.
cheers
Attachments
001 [640x480].JPG
001 [640x480].JPG (99.6 KiB) Viewed 245 times

silver

Post by silver » Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:07 pm

maybe had you used the regular gaskets....You're exhaust wouldn't have blown the flex pipe so horribly bad......did you ever think about that  :D

maverick1

Post by maverick1 » Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:28 pm

[quote="silver"]
maybe had you used the regular gaskets....You're exhaust wouldn't have blown the flex pipe so horribly bad......did you ever think about that  :D
[/quote]
Silver my friend....nothing would have prevented my exhaust from blowing out....very poor design as all of us know. When you look at the Hi-tech exhaust you can see quality all over it, some might say it's a work of art.
IMHO Brammo really should be ashamed of themselves putting that crap exhaust on a $50,000+ automobile.
cheers

silver

Post by silver » Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:30 pm

hahahah I know....mine blew out too!  now you're part of the club

at least mine only melted my $1400 powder coat, rear laser shifter, back up camera, reverse light and my license plate........

bolus

Post by bolus » Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:03 pm

blowin' an exhaust is just a part of the overall Atom experience.  Most of us havn't worked on a car before.  We blow and exhaust and put in new gaskets ourselves and go "holy crapy, that was easy, I think I'll pull my own engine and slap on a turbo"

See how that works :)  Blowing an exhausts builds character. 

maverick1

Post by maverick1 » Tue Oct 07, 2008 4:45 am

[quote="bolus"]
blowin' an exhaust is just a part of the overall Atom experience.  Most of us havn't worked on a car before.  We blow and exhaust and put in new gaskets ourselves and go "holy crapy, that was easy, I think I'll pull my own engine and slap on a turbo"

See how that works :)  Blowing an exhausts builds character. 
[/quote]
So True....
I must admit I've learned a lot about how cars work...
cheers

positron

Post by positron » Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:01 pm

Much like a Colonoscopy, necessary but not looked forward to...

John H

Post by John H » Tue Oct 07, 2008 3:07 pm

[quote="Positron"]
Much like a Colonoscopy, necessary but not looked forward to...
[/quote]
or a Special Brew enema......ask Peter, he's had plenty

positron

Post by positron » Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:06 am

la.. la... la.. covering ears and eyes.. TOO MUCH INFORMATION...