Calling all Brammo owners with 4-pot front Alcons and 2-pot rear Alcons

Terry Kennedy

Calling all Brammo owners with 4-pot front Alcons and 2-pot rear Alcons

Post by Terry Kennedy » Sat Jul 12, 2008 4:45 am

I have an early Brammo Atom with the "Race" brake package, which was built with 4-pot Alcons on the front and 2-pot Alcons on the rear. This makes getting brake pads even more of a challenge, as they're both custom sizes - but different.

I had purchased what I thought was the complete kit of parts to upgrade the rears to 4-pot Alcons, which is what the later "Race" brake package included. However, this has been an ongoing issue as Brammo shipped an incomplete set of parts just as the US Atom business was being taken over by TMI.

Beyond that, there have been a number of other issues having to do with changes made by outside vendors which Brammo rolled into production without updating part numbers and drawings, leading to incompatibilities.

What this boils down to is that I will likely be having TMI (or someone else if they can't) order some new Atom-specific brackets to be machined, which will allow the re-use of the old parking brake calipers instead of needing to purchase different ones.

This will likely be a one-time thing, so if you ever contemplate upgrading the rear brakes, I'd like to hear from you so I know what sort of interest there is. In addition to the bracket package, you'll need the calipers (should be available from TMI), possibly new rotor hats (also from TMI), pads (from Sector111 or Hoerr), and new master cylinders if yours aren't both .700". While I can't comment on TMI's pricing, Brammo's pricing was:

Calipers - $369.38 each
Hats      - $  91.00 each

The master cylinders are standard Tilton at around $68.00 each. Pad pricing has been discussed here before.

This is what the bracket assembly will look like (this is a stock one from a current Race package):

I'd like to know a couple things about your car:

Last part of VIN (for example, mine is RAM285)

Do your parking brake mounting bolts look like the bottom ones in this picture (Allen head sockets with Circlips) or are they gold-color hex head bolts?

Do your rear rotor hats have any markings on them (like the "R" in this picture) or are they unmarked?

Hopefully this will give me enough information to determine whether there is more than one style of the 4 x 2 Race package out there. Hopefully there is only one style and I'll only need to commission one type of brackets.
Last edited by Terry Kennedy on Sat Jul 12, 2008 5:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sagen

Re: Calling all Brammo owners with 4-pot front Alcons and 2-pot rear Alcons

Post by Sagen » Sun Jul 13, 2008 5:41 pm

I went out an took a close look at my rear caliper setup.  I'm not sure that I will have the issue you are describing so I am throwing up the requested photos to see if it's helpful to you.

My VIN number ends in 000021.  I think my car was something like #32 off the line at Brammo.

Close up of my Parking Brake caliper (I have an Allen head with circlips):

What my rear brake package looks like (is this a 4-pot or 2-pot rear caliper?):

Close up of the marking on my rotor hat:

My marking is much smaller than what is pictured on your system, but it is a small "R".

Is this the information you need for your quest?  Let me know if I need to get you anything in addition. 

Thanks for your efforts in this and other endeavors.  They are much appreciated.

- Sagen

Terry Kennedy

Post by Terry Kennedy » Sun Jul 13, 2008 8:58 pm

[quote="Sagen"]
What my rear brake package looks like (is this a 4-pot or 2-pot rear caliper?):
[/quote]

That's a 4-pot caliper (2 pistons on each side of the caliper). So you're all set.

Sagen

Post by Sagen » Mon Jul 14, 2008 4:55 am

Thanks!

Just wanted to make sure.

- Sagen