supercharger belt layout

Speedytec

supercharger belt layout

Post by Speedytec » Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:11 pm

I have some questions to the SC belt pulleys for my Speedster RWD- LSJ conversion.
The Ecotec Atom does not have an AC compressor, and therefore obviously no AC compressor pulley. Is there an idler pulley installed so the original LSj belt could be used?
Or has the Atom a different belt layout than the "standard LSJ" as found in the Cobalt SS or Ion redline?

A good pic of the SC /alternator layout woulld explain a lot, but could not find anything suitable yet.

Thxs

bolus

Re: supercharger belt layout

Post by bolus » Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:16 pm

this is about the best pic I have:

Speedytec

Post by Speedytec » Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:23 pm

I saw another one from the top in your build threat which looked already different than the standard LSJ belt.
Now its clear that you do not use an AC idler pulley.

A clearer pic, or schematic drawing of the pulleys would be nice. Any info on the belt type? Is this a double sided rib belt (LSJ) or single sided?

Thxs sofar.

bolus

Post by bolus » Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:43 pm

single sided with ribs.  I dont know anything else about it though

Speedytec

Post by Speedytec » Thu Jun 12, 2008 4:59 pm

Yeah, I understand that you are not so into supercharger belts anymore...  :D

Looked a bit closer to the other top pic and it's now clear that the Atom LSJ has a different belt (1-sided rib) and a different pulley system. The spanner and alternator is like or similar to the 2,2 layout:

Only the atom Eco has no the AC compressor pulley and uses an extra idler pulley close/above to the alternator. I can use a piture of that idler pulley. Or a manufacturer...  :)

bolus

Post by bolus » Thu Jun 12, 2008 5:22 pm

A couple of other pics I found.

[img width=450 height=600]http://bolus.shackspace.com/atom/cable_guide1.jpg[/img]
[img width=559 height=600]http://bolus.shackspace.com/atom/cable_guide2.jpg[/img]

Speedytec

Post by Speedytec » Thu Jun 12, 2008 5:38 pm

Also found this one from your project where the sc pulley and idler pulley are visible:

Thxs.

bolus

Post by bolus » Thu Jun 12, 2008 5:42 pm

If I remember correctly (its been 7 months since I disassembled the engine) that extra idler pulley is attached with a custom bracket where it looks like Brammo made it.  So it is probably a pretty custom setup.

I have not seen my completed turbo engine yet but if that pulley is not being used I would be willing to give it to you.  Though
shipping to europe would probably be crazy expensive
Last edited by bolus on Thu Jun 12, 2008 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Speedytec

Post by Speedytec » Thu Jun 12, 2008 5:46 pm

The close up from your spanner pulley reveal to me that the Atom uses a standard 2,2 ecotec spanner. And I think also the 2,2  alternator (turns clockwise, LSJ standard turns anticlockwise) Good info! 8)
The Normal LSJ has a very different spanner and a double sided belt layout:

bolus

Post by bolus » Thu Jun 12, 2008 5:48 pm

By the way, what engine are you replacing?  If it is a 2.2L ecotec, why not just throw on a supercharger (I have one for sale :) ) rather than replacing the whole engine. 

Speedytec

Post by Speedytec » Thu Jun 12, 2008 5:50 pm

[quote="bolus"]
If I remember correctly (its been 7 months since I disassembled the engine) that extra idler pulley is attached with a custom bracket where it looks like Brammo made it.  So it is probably a pretty custom setup.

I have not seen my completed turbo engine yet but if that pulley is not being used I would be willing to give it to you.  Though
shipping to europe would probably be crazy expensive
[/quote]

Well.. If you can find it, a picture will already be great.  :tu:
(Small post package to Europe is not that expensive. I just received an alternator + PCM from the US for around $30,- shipping.)

Speedytec

Post by Speedytec » Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:05 pm

I have an Opel Speedster (AKA Vauxhall VX220), but is like an GM dressed Elise/Exige with a 2,2 Ecotec engine.
The problem with these is that this European (known as Z22SE) engine uses a different ECU than the US version and is not really tunable. Of course I can trow the SC onto it (SC kits are sold here with a decompression plate and piggyback solution), but I still need to upgrade the rods above 250HP. And for my 850kg car i like a bit higher revving engine. Short stroke is better... Like the LSJ has (+ stronger + oil squirters +...)

And I happen to have now a complete LSJ with ECU standing in my garage. So when I get HP tuners I'm in bussiness.
It will be a project, but you know all about that..  ;D
Not an Atom, but still a lot of fun:
[img width=800 height=533]http://autofoto.4muller.com/images/spee ... ewa2af.jpg[/img]
Last edited by Speedytec on Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bolus

Post by bolus » Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:17 pm

it will be another week or two before I get my car back.  if the belt and pulley are not being used I'll send them to you

Heywood-Yablowme

Post by Heywood-Yablowme » Thu Jun 12, 2008 7:19 pm

That Opel speedster is a very sharp looking car!!! It is a pity GM does not sell them here in the States.Instead,we have the Solstice and the Saturn version.I would rather the Opel :tu:  What fun it would be with the 2.4 turbo motor out of the Solstice!

bolus

Post by bolus » Thu Jun 12, 2008 7:41 pm

I'd take a Solstice with Hahn's 447hp turbo kit
http://www.turbosystem.com/ProjectVehic ... ge3pdf.htm