My dumbness knows no bounds

slowcharles

Re: My dumbness knows no bounds

Post by slowcharles » Thu May 22, 2008 11:58 am

[quote="Terry Kennedy"]
[quote="slowcharles"]
Is there anything I should be looking at?
[/quote]

If you can wait until I get back (this weekend), I'll look at it.
[/quote]

I am out of town this upcoming weekend but if you are around the weekend after that it would work out great.

wisp

Post by wisp » Fri May 23, 2008 12:07 am

[quote="Heywood"]
Seriously,check your crank sensor;it tells the ECU the engine is spinning, and then delivers spark and fuel.
[/quote]

Bolus, do you have a photo of the crank sensor for Charles?

bolus

Post by bolus » Fri May 23, 2008 12:42 am

yeah... somewhere.... I have like 1000 atom photos that aren't labeled or categorized...  I do have pics of every sensor and wire when I tore down the engine. 

its under the oil filter way up front and way down low if I remember correctly

Terry Kennedy

Post by Terry Kennedy » Tue May 27, 2008 4:11 am

[quote="slowcharles"]I am out of town this upcoming weekend but if you are around the weekend after that it would work out great.
[/quote]

Sure. I'm back now - just let me know when & where. Since it isn't operable I guess I need to come to it, unless you want to have it trucked here on the assumption I can fix whatever is wrong.

wisp

Post by wisp » Tue May 27, 2008 7:40 am

[quote="slowcharles"]
Is there anything I should be looking at?
[/quote]

I recall you mentioning something Brammo did recently, in the clubroom. Maybe you disturbed whatever the mod was.

slowcharles

Post by slowcharles » Tue May 27, 2008 3:35 pm

[quote="Terry Kennedy"]
[quote="slowcharles"]I am out of town this upcoming weekend but if you are around the weekend after that it would work out great.
[/quote]

Sure. I'm back now - just let me know when & where. Since it isn't operable I guess I need to come to it, unless you want to have it trucked here on the assumption I can fix whatever is wrong.
[/quote]

Hey Terry

Thanks again for the kind offer. One of my neighbours came over and figured out I somehow fried my starter- so we got it fixed and it is running smoothly now. I guess the lesson from this is - don't point a pressure washer at your engine :) By the way I just replaced my oil which you showed me how to do a few months ago. It took me about 15 minutes - so thanks for teaching me how to do it.

bolus

Post by bolus » Tue May 27, 2008 3:38 pm

your engine turned over but your starter was fried?  that's confusing.  any more details?

slowcharles

Post by slowcharles » Tue May 27, 2008 3:41 pm

The engine never turned over I just got the clicking sound. But I ill find out exactly what was going on and post it.

Driver

Post by Driver » Tue May 27, 2008 4:30 pm

Sounds like the solenoid/bendix on the starter.

bolus

Post by bolus » Tue May 27, 2008 5:49 pm

That would make more sense.  I accidentally touched the starter with a tool once and arced a giant bolt of electricity to the chassis.  So I dont go down there anymore.  :D

benyeats

Post by benyeats » Tue May 27, 2008 7:48 pm

[quote="bolus"]
That would make more sense.  I accidentally touched the starter with a tool once and arced a giant bolt of electricity to the chassis.  So I dont go down there anymore.  :D
[/quote]

Yep the starter has a permanent 12v feed so don't use spanners near it if the battery is connected.  If you end up touching ground and the starter 12v you could end up welding the tool to the chassis !

Ben

slowcharles

Post by slowcharles » Tue May 27, 2008 7:53 pm

The bad ground caused my starter to short out.

bolus

Post by bolus » Tue May 27, 2008 7:59 pm

[quote="benyeats"]
[quote="bolus"]
[/quote]

Yep the starter has a permanent 12v feed so don't use spanners near it if the battery is connected.  If you end up touching ground and the starter 12v you could end up welding the tool to the chassis !

Ben
[/quote]

Nothing like shooting bolts of electricity into the fuel tank too.  I'm surprised I did not fry anything on the car after that.