I/C experiment

silver

Re: I/C experiment

Post by silver » Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:28 pm

[quote="bolus"]
Eddie, I bet that is the best Darth is going to get without your car.  The fine tuning really requires a dyno or some seat time in the car tuning based on actual numbers the car is putting out.  In only takes the car to run a little lean to ruin your day

I found these guys recommended on the cobalt forum.  Looks like it is North Texas
http://www.sscartuning.com/
[/quote]

I just found out.....this is the guy that was supposed to tune mine....he isn't responding to emails and his phone number on the website is not working anymore.....the person who originally got in contact with him filled me in and said he's waiting on Brian to call him back too.

Boo.

****EDIT*** just got a response...thank god, I was about to go to a dyno shop and cross my fingers they could figure it out...now I don't have to.  His number has changed, and he's just in the middle of moving  houses and jobs.  Calling him this afternoon to make an appt.
Last edited by silver on Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FourFather

Post by FourFather » Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:24 pm

Thank you for that update! Please keep me informed-

Eddie ;D

positron

Post by positron » Sun Aug 03, 2008 3:42 pm

Update on I/C experiment, I've complicated matters (too much idle time between track days..) by installing the GM Stage 3 ecm. So far AFR is spot on and throttle response is very crisp.. This may have been the way to go.  I'll be data logging at BW next weekend..

Now I'm trying to figure out how to get the provision for the 50 shot to work and where to mount the bottle...  ;D

bolus

Post by bolus » Sun Aug 03, 2008 4:53 pm

haha, dont tell Eddie that he can add NOS. 

positron

Post by positron » Sun Aug 03, 2008 5:12 pm

Isn't this about the size of our fire extinguisher bottle?  I wonder if I can mount it next to it... heck if I go fast enough the wind will put out the flames and I won't need an extinguisher...

"Why no Mr. Track inspector.. THAT is the fire extinguisher bottle..don't let the Naaaws stickers fool you.."

5lb bottle
Last edited by positron on Sun Aug 03, 2008 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bolus

Post by bolus » Sun Aug 03, 2008 5:17 pm

you can put it right between the seats like where I have my fire extinguisher installed.  Everyone thinks it is nos already :)

positron

Post by positron » Sun Aug 03, 2008 5:19 pm

Lots of pipe places to mount on to...

link
Last edited by positron on Sun Aug 03, 2008 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bolus

Post by bolus » Sun Aug 03, 2008 5:28 pm

Tom made these which I think look great to mount on the exhaust and meth tank

positron

Post by positron » Sun Aug 03, 2008 6:46 pm

[quote="bolus"]
haha, dont tell Eddie that he can add NOS. 
[/quote]

Don't tell Silver it may have been that easy...  :-X

FourFather

Post by FourFather » Tue Aug 12, 2008 3:01 pm

silver-

Seven days without updates on tuning makes one weak! :laugh:

Eddie ;D

positron

Post by positron » Fri Nov 14, 2008 4:32 am

Last trip out, IAT2 temps averaged 132*F with frontal configuration, top sustained speed 124. Will be testing next at Fontana. Stage 3 ECM AFR much better than what we had.

silver

Post by silver » Sat Jun 06, 2009 10:07 pm

[quote="FourFather"]
Because this may be of some interest to others, here is a public answer to some PM's.

Intercooler filler/sight glass in stock configuration-

And this is what I replaced it with-

From Summit Racing Equipment:
Radiator surge tank, horizontal, aluminum, 6 in. length, 3 in. dia., 4.375 in. overall height, part # HRE 3424, ; and
Radiator cap, Steel, octagon,24 psi., part #HRE 3427
It is not a direct replacement and requires its own bracket and some plumbing and fittings and some time to make it all work out, but it works well for me.

I also replaced the 50/50 mixture of Dexcool/water, with water treated with the reccommended amount of Redline Water Wetter.
This setup was on the car a few days ago at Hallett, where my lap times on my best session was 1:24.0 on lap 11, 1:24.3 on lap 12, and 1:23.3 on the last lap, lucky 13. So, since the car got consistently quicker for 13 laps, I feel that intake temps did NOT get too high.

But there's a huge disclaimer here, and I'll put it in my next post.

Eddie ;D
[/quote]

Just wanted to add that I completed this project today, it was a huge pain to get that darn thing to fit, and to find the right fittings, but I got it to work. 

Per my convo with Eddie he recommended to bleed the intercooler, I jacked the front of the car up as high as I could (about 18" - 24" I didn't measure how high it was) and removed the plug from the intercooler, Dex cool came squirting out as soon as I got the plug off which per what Eddie was describing when he performed the same test, nothing came out of his and he was able to fill much more coolant.

So I'm thinking mine didn't have air in the line and his did......So, I put the plug back in then filled the tank back up from what drained out.

Did I do that right?

positron

Post by positron » Sat Jun 06, 2009 10:15 pm

Isn't 24 psi kinda (alot) high?

silver

Post by silver » Sat Jun 06, 2009 10:17 pm

I just copied Eddie I have no idea..... :o

I thought that was the max pressure the cap would hold, obviously by your comment I'm wrong.

What I can say is Eddie's been running this way for months and no issues at all....and plenty of track days, so seems like a solid change.

Time will tell...maybe my car will splode who knows.

positron

Post by positron » Sat Jun 06, 2009 10:23 pm

Any system is as only strong as the weakest link so if the rad is 20 and the cap is 24 the rad will yield.. I thought the little cap was like 9psi? Don't remember.. I'm in your neck of the woods.. in the heat..