I/C experiment

bolus

Re: I/C experiment

Post by bolus » Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:10 pm

If you push the button at idle it will eventually stall the car, but at speed you wont notice a difference.  It cools the charge and you see a boost in octane and your engine smiles a little and that's it :)  And if your water to methanol mix is less than 50% methanol it is not flammable.  So no flames out the back.

When I was at hallet, I could tell the difference when I was on the track if my water was on or not.  A few laps in the car would get slower and slower as the heat built up.

silver

Post by silver » Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:10 pm

[quote="DarthChicken"]
It depends on your pump and water jet size.  I'm using a .8mm jet running 100% duty starting at 7psi.

Eddie's setup runs a duty cycle based on injector pulse width.

Your setup Silver is a completely different pump and not a aquamist nozzle.  So, you're probably running a LOT more water, and as a result you're down on power (ie running rich).
[/quote]

Mine is set up to work based on how much voltage the maf is showing , on a 2.5 volts 100% cycle at 4.5volts....I might need to move up the 2.5volt to a higher voltage.

FourFather

Post by FourFather » Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:27 pm

FWIW-

My first test of my system showed a maximum output of 275 cc/minute, using my smallest nozzle, .6mm, and pure water.

I started a stopwatch when I pressed the 100% test button, and discharged the mist into a graduated cc bottle, and stopped the flow at 60 seconds.

I'm guessing the system flow is now more than that, since I am using a 50-50 mix of water and methanol, but I haven't checked it again.

Eddie ;D
Last edited by FourFather on Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rfmarz@frontiernet

Post by rfmarz@frontiernet » Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:00 pm

Eddie, do you have any 0-60 or (esp.) 0-100 times on your car?

bolus

Post by bolus » Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:06 pm

Eddie, the methanol probably wont help much (except make it even less likely to knock) unless you tune for it.  I dont think darth has done any tuning for meth on your tune.  It is basically like running race fuel.  no real benefit until you tune for it.  another good reason to get a local tuner. 

FourFather

Post by FourFather » Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:43 pm

[quote="rfmarz"]
Eddie, do you have any 0-60 or (esp.) 0-100 times on your car?
[/quote]

The worst I have in my notes is yesterday, in ~95 degree ambient, AO48s on Team Dynamics, rural (not excellent traction) asphalt, 4.1 and 9.1 seconds.
The best in my notes is 3.6 and 8.4.

silver

Post by silver » Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:45 pm

do you use a trackmate or other device for timing?

FourFather

Post by FourFather » Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:03 pm

[quote="silver"]
do you use a trackmate or other device for timing?
[/quote]

Here is yesterday's TraqMate printout-

[img width=450 height=600]http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j169/ ... 508002.jpg[/img]

silver

Post by silver » Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:34 am

[quote="FourFather"]

FWIW-

My first test of my system showed a maximum output of 275 cc/minute, using my smallest nozzle, .6mm, and pure water.

I started a stopwatch when I pressed the 100% test button, and discharged the mist into a graduated cc bottle, and stopped the flow at 60 seconds.

I'm guessing the system flow is now more than that, since I am using a 50-50 mix of water and methanol, but I haven't checked it again.

Eddie ;D
[/quote]

I just checked mine...the nozzle was rated at 375ml/min.....not sure what that means, but I had another one which was 175ml/min....The pump is a 150psi pump

any thoughts.....at least to compare what y'all have.....if it indeed shows that the 375ml/min was WAY TOO MUCH with the 150psi pump?
Last edited by silver on Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

DarthChicken

Post by DarthChicken » Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:42 am

I would do exactly what Eddie did... start the pump for 1 minute, and measure how much water you're getting. 

FourFather

Post by FourFather » Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:14 am

Roger that-- check and see what you are getting, and I'd bet that your best starting amount should be a nozzle halfway in between what you listed. Around 275 cc (or ml, same thing) per minute , at MAXIMUM  flow. I'm assuming your system starts slow flow at medium throttle/load/rpm and increases flow to max at max rpm/boost?

Since mine is working so good, with no downside that I can see, at 275 cc/min-- it should at least be a good place to start on yours, wouldn't you think?

If the test proceedure is not clear, ask questions-- no secrets here.

Eddie ;D

silver

Post by silver » Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:19 am

well at least you cleared up the math that ml / min equals cc/min so we know that If I use my 175 nozzle, then at max it's 175....and the same for the 375.

I have a fully variable load...I can make it full flow at no throttle....all the way to never full flow.

I'm thinking i'll bring both nozzles to the dyno tune, start with the 175 since I just installed it (and I used goop sealant) then if it starts to retard the timing during the runs, and if I run out of tuning in the variable flow controller....then I'll go to the bigger nozzle.

Thanks for the heads up on the relationship between the two measurements...I know I could have looked it up on the net but you made it much easier.

FourFather

Post by FourFather » Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:48 am

:tu:

FourFather

Post by FourFather » Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:32 pm

silver--Are you tuned yet?

Inquiring minds want to know-- ???

silver

Post by silver » Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:04 pm

Unfortunately I can't get a hold of the tuner I've emailed him a couple of times but no response