Sway Bar

foobar12345

Sway Bar

Post by foobar12345 » Thu May 08, 2008 2:32 pm

When I took my atom in for alignment, the techs asked why it did not have sway bars.  I didnt know the answer, but I do notice the car rolling a bit in certain situations.  It looks like a front sway bar would be easier than a rear sway bar but they said both would be able to be fabricated.  I dont know much about it, so I was wondering if someone here had experience. 

-Brad

1965Cobra427

Re: Sway Bar

Post by 1965Cobra427 » Thu May 08, 2008 2:40 pm

Generally speaking the Atoms wishbones are much longer that those of most production cars, so the effect of roll on camber is much less. Being a "track oriented street car" this may be considered as good as is needed. Twebb and I discussed adding sway bars last summer. Our thought thought is that with a sway bar, the spring rates could be reduced allowing a lighter "feel" and more contact with a rough track. I have noticed that the factory "race" springs have a higher rate, suggesting they might be countering some of the sway with stiffer springs. (just conjecture). I visited with some of the tech types I've run into associated with Formula racing and inspected their sway bar setups. Adjustability is a regular feature so they can tune for different tracks.

John Lloyd

Post by John Lloyd » Thu May 08, 2008 4:51 pm

Photo of a sway bar please.

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Thu May 08, 2008 5:10 pm

One of my favourite sway bars:

http://www.theshadowlounge.co.uk/index2.html
Ariel Atom Owners Club founder, based in Central London

silver

Post by silver » Thu May 08, 2008 5:14 pm

WTF

dp

Post by dp » Thu May 08, 2008 5:24 pm

a 'sway bar' (also known as anti-roll bar) can be a useful way to tune a car's front/rear roll stiffness and therefore affect its handling balance.  same thing can be done by varying spring rates but it's less convenient.  for a given roll stiffness, using a bar will allow softer main spring rates for a bit better ride comfort.  to achieve the same ride/roll stiffness combo without a bar one can use progressive rate springs but again it's less tunable.  it's all about tradeoffs and what you're trying to achieve.  if you like the car's handling as-is then a bar is not necessary.  if you know exactly how you want to change the balance then a pair of $60 springs is easier than fabricating a bar.  but if you want to experiment with various settings then an adjustable a/r bar can be a good tool.

CalScot

Post by CalScot » Thu May 08, 2008 5:31 pm

[quote="Bruce Fielding"]
One of my favourite sway bars:

http://www.theshadowlounge.co.uk/index2.html

[/quote]

That puts a whole new meaning to a "long hard sway bar" Bruce.
Do you go there often?
I am sure you would be a hit in the Atom rolling onstage in a G string. The crowd would go wild :o :laugh:

dingo

Post by dingo » Thu May 08, 2008 5:36 pm

Only a front sway bar was tried on track by the factory in a race prep and created undesirable results, understeer if I recall.
So it was eliminated. 

foobar12345

Post by foobar12345 » Thu May 08, 2008 5:45 pm

Bruce,

You may need a 3" exhaust at that bar for improved flow.

-Brad

CalScot

Post by CalScot » Thu May 08, 2008 5:49 pm

Pretty sure most of those guys would prefer the "more restrictive" narrower tail pipe. I am sure it's a rare commodity in that bar

benyeats

Post by benyeats » Thu May 08, 2008 8:09 pm

[quote="dingo"]
Only a front sway bar was tried on track by the factory in a race prep and created undesirable results, understeer if I recall.
So it was eliminated. 
[/quote]

I think mc tried front and rear anti roll bars with the factory and found they did not benefit so they were left off.  Definatly a thread on it here but probably on Pistonheads

Ben

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Thu May 08, 2008 8:37 pm

[quote="CalScot"]
Pretty sure most of those guys would prefer the "more restrictive" narrower tail pipe. I am sure it's a rare commodity in that bar
[/quote]

They're all really nice. I know the manager and there's never any trouble.

As for MC , iirc it was robb gravett who suggested the roll bar. But there was a discussion about roll offs or roll ons or some such which went way over my head.

What deodorant has to with handling I have no idea.
Ariel Atom Owners Club founder, based in Central London