Steering wheel is "turned"

rfmarz@frontiernet

Steering wheel is "turned"

Post by rfmarz@frontiernet » Sat May 03, 2008 9:29 pm

Now that I've adjusted the toe in, my steering wheel needs to be about 30 degrees to the right to go straight :-\. Is there any way to simply correct this OR is this evidence that further adjustment is necessary? Also, where can I go to get a four wheel alignment (other than back to Hallett)? :laugh:

1965Cobra427

Re: Steering wheel is "turned"

Post by 1965Cobra427 » Sat May 03, 2008 10:20 pm

[quote="rfmarz"]
... back to Hallett)? :laugh:
[/quote]
:tu: :tu: :tu:

I would think most alignment shops could do it these days, since 4 wheel independent setups are so common. My Vettes, Mustang Cobra and Lincoln LS all require 4 wheel alignment.

If your steering wheel is off by that much, removing it and re-indexing it to a different set of mounting bolts will take up most or all of the misalignment. For smaller amounts, I extend one tie rod and retract the other by the same amount.

rfmarz@frontiernet

Post by rfmarz@frontiernet » Sat May 03, 2008 11:18 pm

Thanks, Randy. The problem is that I can't re-index it from the steering wheel itself. I looked at the steering shaft as it mounts to the steering rack, but I don't know if I dare remove it to index it differently. It's off by about 30 degrees. I just got back from a ride and the car is much less darty but I think I simply got things "in the ballpark". Are you saying I could show up at the local Cherolet dealer and they'd know what to do with an Ariel Atom- as far as alignment and toe-in vs toe-out is comcerned? What would I ask them to do as far as the toe in. Currently I'm at somewhere around 3/16" at the front and just a tad toe out at the rear.

1965Cobra427

Post by 1965Cobra427 » Sun May 04, 2008 1:52 am

If I went to the Chevy dealer (or a tire and alignment shop) I'd go in with the specs I wanted them to use- Camber and toe. I think any decent mechanic with proper alignment measurement tools could do it. For street use I would run 1 degree negative camber in front and 1/2 neg at the rear. Tow in the front would be 1/8" out and rear toe 1/8" in. For track, I'd set the toe the same and increase the negative by 1 degree, font and rear. The setting part is really easy compared to most cars as long as the measuring is done well. (Twebb and I have done it a few times in my shop).

Terry Kennedy

Post by Terry Kennedy » Tue May 06, 2008 4:02 am

[quote="rfmarz"]Also, where can I go to get a four wheel alignment (other than back to Hallett)?[/quote]

If you anticipate doing more alignment work (say, after changing rod ends or to experiment with different setups), consider getting the tools and doing it yourself:

This is an easier-to-use version of one of the tools Hallett uses (instead of taking the wheel center cap off this uses the edge of the rim) and this is the exact same toe tool they use.

If you opt for a less expesive caster/camber tool like this, you can get everything for under $200.

rfmarz@frontiernet

Post by rfmarz@frontiernet » Tue May 06, 2008 6:06 pm

Thanks, Terry! Is there any inexpensive way to line up the fronts and rears so that you're starting off with a "clean slate" and not going down the road crooked?

twebb

Post by twebb » Tue May 06, 2008 6:39 pm

Give me a call.  There is a quick and easy way to do this.  It might be easier on the phone.

Tim Webb
479-973-9138
479-236-7606

twebb

Post by twebb » Thu May 08, 2008 2:13 pm

Rich,

Those numbers are for work hours.  If you want to talk after 6:00 pm CST try 479-846-4186.

Thanks

Tim