leaking right rear CV boot?

iwantanatom

leaking right rear CV boot?

Post by iwantanatom » Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:44 am

Not sure exactly what happened, but when I got the car back from Brammo, it is now leaking axle grease from under the right rear CV boot clamp. Since I am nearly useless on car repairs, I was hoping to get some thoughts on this. Is this just a matter of re-crimping the boot seal or is this a sign of a bigger problem? I attached a pic of the leak. If its just a matter of re-crimp, what is the right band and crimping tool to use? The up and down play on the left half shaft is similar to the right (leaking) half shaft (maybe +/-3mm). The in and out play is zero on the left and maybe +/-5mm on the right (leaking side). Thanks!
Attachments
DSC00024b.jpg
DSC00024b.jpg (108.49 KiB) Viewed 341 times

Terry Kennedy

Re: leaking right rear CV boot?

Post by Terry Kennedy » Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:29 am

[quote="igotanatom"]
If its just a matter of re-crimp, what is the right band and crimping tool to use?[/quote]

That looks like an Oetiker clamp (info here). I get them from MSC, though I've never ordered that size.

I have both the right-angle and normal crimping tools if you need to borrow them, though normally a pair of diagonal cutters works fine. Crimping just slides the 2 parts of the clamps so other tabs interlock - the crimp itself isn't structural. Drop me a PM or email if you need the tools.

iwantanatom

Post by iwantanatom » Wed Apr 30, 2008 7:06 am

Thanks Terry. I did get a note from Brammo on this after your posting. I will include it below in case this anyone else needs this in the future.

The photos you have sent us show a factory-style large boot clamp. I would recommend replacing it with a better clamp:
1. Cut off the old clamp, after measuring the o.d. of the hub and the boot, so you will have a number to take to the part store (the axle joints are the same size as a 2005 Cobalt SS). Youâ??ll want to buy a joint clamp that will fit the boot, but can be clamped down tighter, so that it will seal better. Buy the clamping tool that is appropriate for that boot as well as a small tube of joint grease. Joint grease is like blood, a tiny bit will make a big mess, so it probably hasnâ??t expelled all that much.
2. Fold back the boot and clean away all traces of the grease with acetone or brake cleaner.
3. Install the new clamp and tighten until the rubber is slightly deformed.

Of course, I didn't read this too closely and wasn't quite able to figure out how to clean the axle grease off of the inner part of the boot and the hub groove. I guess the key is "fold back the boot". The CV joint grease had a warning about not mixing different types, ie you are supposed to fully clean out old CV grease before installing new grease, ugh. Maybe I should just bring it into a shop that knows what they are doing...

iwantanatom

Post by iwantanatom » Fri May 16, 2008 2:30 pm

Okay, in case this comes up for anyone else. Here's what finally solved it.
For the large band clamp, use the 2005 cobolt SS part. This is a wide, high quality clamp and seems to get the job done.
The half shafts are custom to the atom and are a different diameter then the cobolt ss. Cobolt ss is 33mm clamp, for the atom you need something like 30mm. Also, the atom half shafts do not appear to have and groove cut in them to seal unlike the cobolt version. Again, you need a wide, high quality clamp that applies even pressure even under the crimp.