car died on highway.....again

silver

car died on highway.....again

Post by silver » Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:46 pm

So the car went into limp mode on the highway again....this time with the updated Brammo stage 2 tune.  The MIL turned off before I could get it on the code reader but the code still showed up.

p0068 was the code, and it says "correlation between MAP/MAF and throttle position sensor.

I read on a few places about this......and some folks out there have increased the parameters through Hp tuners by 25% to 50% in order to make this less likely to occur.

Just thought I'd post this as it has been a problem that has occurred to several of us but I don't know of anyone who's caught the code as of yet.

I'm not sure it has anything to do with the tune, however, others might know better.....obviously if it's not caused by the tune, it looks like it can be solved with an adjustment to a custom tune for those interested.

nickpoore

Re: car died on highway.....again

Post by nickpoore » Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:56 pm

Definately interested....

I only had limp mode happen to me once - and it was at the track, and I was able to exit safely...

When I spoke to Tom, he said that this was a protection on the engine if I high-reved it, but that was not the case...

Oh well.

benyeats

Post by benyeats » Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:00 pm

On Rovers you can reset the throttle position sensor (TPS) by putting the key in position 2 and pumping the throttle 5 times (or something like that) is there a published way to do this on Honda / Ecotec cars ?  Might be worth a go

Ben

positron

Post by positron » Tue Apr 29, 2008 1:29 am

Did it happen during/between a spirited shift?

silver

Post by silver » Tue Apr 29, 2008 1:45 am

I was in 3rd gear going 70, I was off the gas, as soon as I hit the accelerator (only going to about 10% throttle mind u) the MIL went on (since I have one I can see it now) and the car was instantly in limp mode.

it had absolutely nothing to do with hard acceleration, or hitting a bump or anything....just a quirk in the software is my opinion, otherwise it would happen more often.

someone else had this problems ALL the time was it slowcharles?

Well all I can say is if it hasn't happened to you it's probably nothing to worry about as long as you have a level head on you'll have no problem just putting on your emergency lights and pulling over.

Also just to state it....all you have to do to get on the road again is turn the ignition switch off......wait about 2-5 minutes and try starting the car after the wait period, then you should be good to go.

positron

Post by positron » Tue Apr 29, 2008 2:18 am

Okie dokey then... that poo poo's my data... guess it's time for me to change my user name..

3rd at 70 with 10% throttle what kind of revs is that? You must get like 200 mpg.. or 230 mph in 5th?

silver

Post by silver » Tue Apr 29, 2008 2:32 am

I don't remember what revs it was at.....I usually cruise in 3rd on the highway.......what does everyone else cruise at?

Terry Kennedy

Post by Terry Kennedy » Tue Apr 29, 2008 3:02 am

[quote="silver"]
I was in 3rd gear going 70, I was off the gas, as soon as I hit the accelerator (only going to about 10% throttle mind u) the MIL went on (since I have one I can see it now) and the car was instantly in limp mode.

it had absolutely nothing to do with hard acceleration, or hitting a bump or anything....just a quirk in the software is my opinion, otherwise it would happen more often.

someone else had this problems ALL the time was it slowcharles?[/quote]

I have (had?) a limp mode problem with a P0238 code (accelerator reference mismatch). I changed the accelerator pedal assembly and haven't seen it since - not sure if that's the cure, though, as I haven't driven it much since.

rfmarz@frontiernet

Post by rfmarz@frontiernet » Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:49 am

I cruise in fifth.

slowcharles

Post by slowcharles » Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:25 pm

I am pretty knowledgeable about the limp mode problem as my atom went into limp mode continuously in the beginning. Then Brammo spent $5,000 with 2 different mechanics and with Chevrolet Performance Division trying to fix it. They never fixed it 100% and once in a while I would still go into limp mode. They basically took the engine apart.

Now the interesting part. After my atom crashed they saved the engine and electrics to put into my new atom. I took my new atom on a 3,000 mile trip from Oregon. And guess what- not one limp mode and not one bad code ( ie throttle out parameters.. or whatever the code I was getting) So maybe there was a simple issue of installation which they eventually resolved. Because my engine and electrics are the same and I am no longer going into limp mode or getting any bad codes at all. And by the way it rained and snowed continuously during the trip

slowcharles

Post by slowcharles » Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:28 pm

And by the way I often used to get the p0068 code- sometimes I went into LM and sometimes not

Also don't minimize the problem as it is potentially lethal- I once stopped around the corner from a blind hairpin on a mountain road and once on a railway crossing :'(
Last edited by slowcharles on Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

1965Cobra427

Post by 1965Cobra427 » Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:49 pm

[quote="rfmarz"]
I cruise in fifth.
[/quote]

me too  :tu: :tu:

Alec

Post by Alec » Wed Apr 30, 2008 1:13 am

[quote="I don't know Jack"]
Okie dokey then... that poo poo's my data... guess it's time for me to change my user name..

[/quote]

Posi IdkJ,

I wondered why you'd changed your name until I read that and it fell into place.

You're not going to keep changing it like Breakaway500/MadMaxedAtom/QQQQ/Dilligaf are you?  ::)
Atom 245, (Atom 160 - SOLD), Yamaha XVZ1300 Royal Star, Ford Sierra 4X4 Ghia Estate, Skoda Octavia vRS Estate, VW Golf 2.0 TSI GTI (Nadine's)

Alec

Post by Alec » Wed Apr 30, 2008 1:15 am

[quote="silver"]
I don't remember what revs it was at.....I usually cruise in 3rd on the highway.......what does everyone else cruise at?
[/quote]

I cruise in 6th with the Honda engine.  ;)
Atom 245, (Atom 160 - SOLD), Yamaha XVZ1300 Royal Star, Ford Sierra 4X4 Ghia Estate, Skoda Octavia vRS Estate, VW Golf 2.0 TSI GTI (Nadine's)

positron

Post by positron » Wed Apr 30, 2008 2:48 am

Thanks Alec, your the only one who got it..  :tu: