Rod ends - I think Brammo wanted to use the 10Ts on the uprights

DarthChicken

Rod ends - I think Brammo wanted to use the 10Ts on the uprights

Post by DarthChicken » Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:45 pm

The small 6T heim joints on the uprights have been a concern with a number of us - they seem too small, and several folks have had them break.

I was cleaning my desk in my garage, and found my box of old rod ends.  For some reason, I thought to see if they would fit on the uprights.  HOLY MOLY they do!

On the a-arm side of things, the opening is  0.750", but there is a should washer pressed into each side.  So you'd have to remove the shoulder washers, but that should not be a big deal.  The point is.. the opening is exactly the same as the ball bore width on the 10T Heim joints.. exactly the same ones that are used on the rest of the car.  And better yet, there is plenty of depth to the "pocket" these sit in, so there is no danger of the new heim joint bottoming out in it.

Sorry for the crappy pics, all I have is my camera phone.  Here is a photo of the shoulder washers

And here is a pic of my micrometer, confirming the measurement

Here are the specs for the heim joints we use - the 6Ts and 10Ts.

http://aurora.thomasnet.com/viewitems/ll-products-commercial-male-rod-ends-english-units/prm-t-prb-b-series-male-rod-ends-ptfe-lined?&bc=100|1064|1066|1067|1072|3001111&forward=1

On the top, up by the shock, there is no shoulder washers - just normal plain jane washers.  So, I was able to slide the 10T right in.  Its a snug, wobble free fit.

The 10Ts are about 1/2" longer... so you'd have to have custom turnbuckle bodies made that are 15" for the front, and 9.5" on the rear (ie 1" shorter).  I have a friend that does these kind of parts for a living, I'm gonna see if I can talk him into make 2 of each as prototypes.

The ONLY hangup I can see is sleeving the inside of the ball bore.  The bore on the 6T part is 0.375" (ie 3/8"), the bore on the 10T part is 0.625" ie 5/8")... but this really shouldn't pose a problem (heck, here are some right here that are even the right length http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/hapages/bushings.php).  I wouldn't want to drill out the existing brackets to use a .625" bolt, there would be very little metal holding things together.

I can only think either Brammo or Ariel wanted to go this direction at some point, and changed their mind for some reason.
Last edited by DarthChicken on Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DarthChicken

Re: Rod ends - I think Brammo wanted to use the 10Ts on the uprights

Post by DarthChicken » Sun Apr 27, 2008 10:15 pm

Hell... he may already build them, check out these lateral links for the subaru legacy

MadMaxedAtom

Re: Rod ends - I think Brammo wanted to use the 10Ts on the uprights

Post by MadMaxedAtom » Sun Apr 27, 2008 10:34 pm

:tu: :tu: Nice score DC!! Those pushrods have always seemed a bit puny to me as well.

Maybe Brammo had a bunch of the 3/8" made,found the error and said WTF,they'll work anyways,and we don't really care.... :doh:

If you do decide to have them made,put me down for a full set.Don't forget about having the flats on the collars. :tu:

While he is at it,maybe he can machine the bushings too (5/8" to 3/8") Or not..as the ones you found already seem fine.

Might be a little overkill but that's OK in my book.
Last edited by MadMaxedAtom on Sun Apr 27, 2008 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.