Got a alignment... WOW (after doing rodends)

DarthChicken

Got a alignment... WOW (after doing rodends)

Post by DarthChicken » Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:32 pm

I was WAY off after doing my rodends.  I thought I did a really good job of keeping everything pretty close, but I had 1.2 degrees toe OUT in the back (on EACH SIDE).  You wanna talk about a nervous ride, at 60mph you think about changing lanes and you were nearly in the ditch.  I knew it was bad, but I didn't realize how bad  :laugh:

What I found interesting, was that on the rear, they set the camber.. then set the toe, and we watched the camber go from -1.5 to -2.0.   ???  So went back and redid the camber... and it affected the toe.  At that point, they left everything loose, and adjusted each, back and forth until they got the toe and camber set.  So... lesson there is, if you're doing your own alignments, go back and check everything after you're done - you're probably not.

Also interesting - My caster on the right side is less than the left, by about a half degree.  I asked the alignment guy about this, and he said normally you want the right side with slightly more caster.  I'm guessing one of two things are causing this, either when they welded up my frame, things weren't perfect, or that Brammo is copying the UK frame a little too closely in that location (ie right hand drive, left should have slightly more caster, as is my case).

My settings as I picked up the car from Brammo a year ago:

Front
camber - (L) -1.0 (R) -1.0
caster - (L) 4.0 (R) 2.7
Toe - (L) 0.00 (R) 0.00
Total Toe - 0.00

Rear
camber - (L) -1.2 (R) -1.2
Toe - (L) 0.01 (R) 0.01
Total toe .02 (in)

With new settings, measured by lasers attached to each wheel:

Front
camber - (L) -.98 (R) -1.02
caster - (L) 4.0 (R) 3.5 (why this has changed, I have no idea... but I trust these guys a lot more than les swab, and the change is in my favor so I'll take it  ;))
Toe - (L) 0.16 (R) 0.15
Total Toe - 0.31 (out)

Rear
camber - (L) -1.48 (R) -1.52
Toe - (L) 0.22 (R) 0.19
Total toe - 0.41 (in)

Total cost $79.95, and I got to hang out in the shop and watch them do the work, which took a little over an hour.

Best $79.95 I've ever spent.  The car drives like a dream now.  Can't wait till the autox on April 20th!
Last edited by DarthChicken on Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

MadMaxedAtom

Re: Got a alignment... WOW (after doing endlinks)

Post by MadMaxedAtom » Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:43 pm

Yep,I always recheck camber and toe after each adjustment.It is a bit of give and take.

After a while,you learn just how much changing each will affect the other. :tu:

What tires are you going to run at the A/X?

....and I believe you have left a zero out of your final toe readings!

.31 out in frt and .41 in at the back will really keep you awake in the saddle

(.031 and .041 is more like it :tu:)  I like zero toe out back.  Less oversteer. Try it some time.
Last edited by MadMaxedAtom on Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DarthChicken

Post by DarthChicken » Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:46 pm

Just the A048s.

Yes.. I know... get some real tires.... and I would if I was going for points, or was competitive (the car is, and as a driver I'm sure I could be... but I don't care to be).  8)

And nope... -0.3 and +0.4 total (ie .15 and .2 each side).  No extra zero.  Brammo's specs are -.09 to .11 each side on the front, I went with -0.15.  Rear spec is -.12 to .09, I went with +0.20.  Drives like a dream, and is the recommendation I found on this forum a number of places.
Last edited by DarthChicken on Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bolus

Post by bolus » Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:55 pm

must... resist... making... joke about...$1000 alignment.... ;D

MadMaxedAtom

Post by MadMaxedAtom » Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:05 pm

Be prepared to HATE your tires after the event :td:

You MUST have sticky tires to do A/X.

My first event will be the 12th. (7th and 8th road course event cancelled due to snow still on the course... >:( >:()

I will be trying out the secret weapons in real combat. I expect nothing less than FTD! ;)

DarthChicken

Post by DarthChicken » Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:14 pm

Oh, I'm not especially happy with the tires, but I don't know about "hate".  I'm just not willing to spend $500 on tires (plus probably wheels as well) so I can be more competitive driving around in a parking lot.

bolus

Post by bolus » Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:15 pm

Darth has mad autox skillz
Attachments
mad_skillz.JPG
mad_skillz.JPG (12.48 KiB) Viewed 429 times

DarthChicken

Post by DarthChicken » Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:19 pm

What you can't see in that picture is the latte in one hand, and the cell phone in the other. 

MadMaxedAtom

Post by MadMaxedAtom » Fri Apr 04, 2008 9:18 pm

I hear you about the parking lot.  :P

I am blessed with an autocross course that allows LOTS of seat time. Our "track" is 2.5 MILES long and I enjoy every minute being there.

The events fill up two days after registration opens and it is 80% the same addicted people.

It's more like cross country autocross ;D

I have learned a LOT about car control on this course as there is no rules about spins and off track excursions. :o

Finding the edge requires you to cross it on occasion...

DarthChicken

Post by DarthChicken » Fri Apr 04, 2008 9:28 pm

Now see... if I had a 2.5 mile autox course, I'd be dropping money into it like no tomorrow.  But literally, its a parking lot.  Sometimes the north paddoc of PIR, sometimes the south.  Sometimes its big enough that its takes over a minute to go through it... generally not though. 

Consider yourself very lucky to have that kind of playground.  Yes... I know its covered in snow right now, but still  :tu:

MadMaxedAtom

Post by MadMaxedAtom » Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:29 pm

Well,  no...the autocross "track" is clear. ;D ;D ;D ;D   Next Saturday is opening day.

It's the road track at New Hampshire Motor Speedway in Loudon NH that is still snow/ice covered,and they have cancelled most of Aprils dates. :td:

They don't believe in plowing the track surface all winter,so mother nature has to do all the removal,and this "spring" is SLOW in coming.

It actually SNOWED today!

I gotta move.... >:( >:( >:( >:(

Wichita Falls is looking mighty tempting ;)  Wonder if Eddy could use a hand 8) :tu:
Last edited by MadMaxedAtom on Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MadMaxedAtom

Post by MadMaxedAtom » Sat Apr 05, 2008 12:06 am

I was a big fan of Winston Cup racing in the late 70's,80's.Been to many of the races.

After DE's death in '01 I only glanced at results. :'(

I have recently started watching again,but not with the same passion.

I like how safe the cars have become,but a lot of the unique personality of the original series is gone.

It's still better than most of the sh1t on TV today.

Most NASCAR fans don't have a clue. Just my opinion.

dp

Post by dp » Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:34 am

[quote="DarthChicken"]
Now see... if I had a 2.5 mile autox course, I'd be dropping money into it like no tomorrow.  But literally, its a parking lot.  Sometimes the north paddoc of PIR, sometimes the south.  Sometimes its big enough that its takes over a minute to go through it... generally not though. 

Consider yourself very lucky to have that kind of playground.  Yes... I know its covered in snow right now, but still  :tu:
[/quote]

uhm, there IS a 2.0 mile road course attached to that parking lot... :)  you can run at least a dozen times a year, 120 miles per event on the average.  my '06 mini has 31 trackdays on it.

Caroline

Post by Caroline » Tue Aug 05, 2008 3:57 am

[quote="DarthChicken"]
What you can't see in that picture is the latte in one hand, and the cell phone in the other. 
[/quote]

So what were you steering with?

DarthChicken

Re: Got a alignment... WOW (after doing rodends)

Post by DarthChicken » Tue Aug 05, 2008 4:01 am

with my left knee of course  ;)

[quote="dp"]

uhm, there IS a 2.0 mile road course attached to that parking lot... :)  you can run at least a dozen times a year, 120 miles per event on the average.  my '06 mini has 31 trackdays on it.
[/quote]

Yes, but the road course is... well pretty boring honestly DP.  I thought PIR was pretty cool, until I went to Hallett and Fernley.  I know.. its home track, and I need to get my ass out there and get some time in.  I just wish there was some elevation change.. some blind corners.. something more exciting!
Last edited by DarthChicken on Tue Aug 05, 2008 4:07 am, edited 1 time in total.