Spark plugs for ECOTEC

04Redline

Re: Spark plugs for ECOTEC

Post by 04Redline » Sat Mar 29, 2008 6:42 am

We can usually safely drop to 1 stage colder plugs which is the brk7
For smaller pullied gents (2.8 and below) you would wanna drop to 2 steps colder to bkr8.
Those are iridiums.
If you like Copper plugs, Intense-racing.com sells autolite coppers for 1.99 a pop. 1 stage colder as well, if im not mistaken.

silver

Post by silver » Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:15 pm

[quote="Terry Kennedy"]
[quote="RyanD"]
What do you guys think?
[/quote]

There's an interesting article here. In part, it says:

The stock spark plugs for the LSJ motor are NGK PFR6T-10G platinum plugs. Platinum and iridium plugs are much harder and more expensive metals that can last up to 100,000 miles however they are not the best metal for heat dissipation. In our experience copper based plugs are far superior in supercharged applications and while they may not last as long as platinum or iridium plugs they will offer better performance. In addition to being copper based these plugs are also one heat range cooler than stock which helps reduce the possibily of detonation and the resulting knock retard.

New spark plugs should always be gapped prior to installation. The stock LSJ spark plug gap setting is .045", and that works fine for the lower boost settings. As the boost increase, smaller plug gaps are required to prevent spark blow-out. Following are our dyno-proven LSJ spark plug gap recommendations:

Stage 1 - 3.30" to 3.20" supercharger pulley - .045" gap
Stage 2 - 3.10" to 3.00" supercharger pulley - .045" gap
Stage 3 - 2.90" to 2.80" supercharger pulley - .040" gap
Stage 4 - 2.70" to 2.60" supercharger pulley - .035" gap
Stage 5 - 2.50" supercharger pulley - .035" gap

[/quote]

which size is the Brammo 300hp pulley? I'm going to change my spark plugs now and wanted to gap them corretly...but it's either the .45 or .40 gap, not sure if the pulley is a 2.9 or 3.0 " pulley

Bottoz

Post by Bottoz » Wed Dec 03, 2008 2:59 pm

The Original GM Stage 3 pulley is 76mm or 2.99 inches.
Original GM Stage 2 is 77.9 or 3.06 inches
Stock pulley is 3.35 iinches.

I ran a 2.8 at 6000 feet... and a 2.9 at Atom Fest using the NGK BKR7E @ .040
Last edited by Bottoz on Wed Dec 03, 2008 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

silver

Post by silver » Wed Dec 03, 2008 3:15 pm

Thanks...I gapped for .045 since that's what info I could find and since I have a bigger pulley then you were running it makes sense.

Gage

Post by Gage » Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:46 pm

Useful old thread.  I'm changing my spark plugs tonight.  If any of you guys read this, have there been any updates on this information that my search didn't find? 

DarthChicken

Post by DarthChicken » Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:45 pm

Still using BKR7s

They come under some other part number now, can't remember it off the top of my head, but most shops still call them BKR7

Gage

Post by Gage » Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:47 pm

[quote="DarthChicken"]
Still using BKR7s

They come under some other part number now, can't remember it off the top of my head, but most shops still call them BKR7
[/quote]

Yea, no local shop can find the part number NGK BK7RE.  Maybe no one around here carries them.  I'll see if Google can give me another name for them. 

Gage

Post by Gage » Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:52 pm

Wow.  After trying every autoparts dealer in the city I finally found them at a Polaris dealer thanks to an Internet tip on a Cobalt forum.

silver

Post by silver » Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:57 pm

so weird when I bought mine they were a dime a dozen using

NGK BK7RE

guess not any more?

Gage

Post by Gage » Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:00 pm

[quote="silver"]
so weird when I bought mine they were a dime a dozen using

NGK BK7RE

guess not any more?
[/quote]

I found them under the same name, but no regular autoparts store carried them.

DarthChicken

Post by DarthChicken » Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:36 pm

how about NGK 4644 or 6097?  Those are the two NGK part numbers for BKR7E.. try them both.

positron

Post by positron » Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:57 pm

Try Summit for 4644. I throw in several sets every time I make an order because no one stocks them locally.

Gage

Post by Gage » Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:10 pm

[quote="Positron"]
Try Summit for 4644. I throw in several sets every time I make an order because no one stocks them locally.
[/quote]

That definitely works.  They also usually deliver to my house in 1 day..which is amazing.  Thanks Positron.

Terry Kennedy

Post by Terry Kennedy » Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:51 am

[quote="DarthChicken"]
how about NGK 4644 or 6097?  Those are the two NGK part numbers for BKR7E.. try them both.
[/quote]

Yup - 6097 is the current part number for the BKR7E. I'm running BKR7EIX-11 / 6988 gapped down to .040 (the IX isn't available in that size, so the choices are to order wider and gap down, or narrower and spread. The former is better for the plug.

Gage

Post by Gage » Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:51 am

The BKR78 - 4644 set of 4 that I have are all pre gapped to a perfect .032 as far as I can tell.