need a little assistance........again

silver

Re: need a little assistance........again

Post by silver » Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:49 am

thanks driver, that also confirms what others are saying...obviously  I didn't know that before I went for the inspection..as I disconnected the battery just before going.  Hopefully I'll be able to get some miles on it before it goes back to the shop Monday to finish the exhaust.  I have 15 days to get it retested for free, since you have to pay for it regardless of if you pass or fail.

bolus

Post by bolus » Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:51 am

Do you have a battery switch?  Remember to keep it engaged.  I hope it works out since I'll have to do it in September too

Terry Kennedy

Post by Terry Kennedy » Wed Feb 27, 2008 2:06 am

[quote="silver"]
thanks driver, that also confirms what others are saying...obviously  I didn't know that before I went for the inspection..as I disconnected the battery just before going.  Hopefully I'll be able to get some miles on it before it goes back to the shop Monday to finish the exhaust.  I have 15 days to get it retested for free, since you have to pay for it regardless of if you pass or fail.
[/quote]

A couple things - clearing codes (making the request, even if no codes are actually set) normally sets the test indicators back to "incomplete". This is so people don't clear codes while in line at the DMV and cheat the system. Also, the tests need several drive cycles to complete. The actual definitions are in the GMN service manual. If you like, I can look up the details and post them here.

I do believe that a number of the tests stay at "incomplete" on the Atom. If you need to complete some more tests to pass, let me know and I will look into what it would take to equip some of them on the ECU. Alternatively, the Club could get one of the stock Cobalt SS ECUs and use the tuning software to disable the stuff that isn't present on the Atom. That could then be a loaner that moves around from owner to owner as needed for inspection purposes. That might be easier than setting up another O2 sensor or evaporative emission sensor.

MadMaxedAtom

Post by MadMaxedAtom » Wed Feb 27, 2008 2:24 am

I think it will be easier to  eliminate the tests that do not run  (evap leakdown test and secondary O2 sensor circuit)to show as N/A.

Once eliminated,they will not show as an incompleted test on a monitored system.

I'm pretty sure this can be done with the HPTuner software.

Driver

Post by Driver » Wed Feb 27, 2008 2:25 am

I think in a garage setting, rather than using a cutoff switch, I'd have a booster/charging box I could plug in to add capacity when storing the atom. Especially if electronics and settings are lost every time I flipped the switch. The more extra stuff like GPS, intercom settings and digital gauges the bigger the call for some sort of power staying hooked up. If there's a alarm of any type involved it's a given. Of course I need to actually get one before I can start adding stuff. :) I do use something like this for my current ride though.

bolus

Post by bolus » Wed Feb 27, 2008 2:45 am

Silver, do you have a PC laptop?  I could mail you my OBD scanner and software (if I can find it) and let you test it out.  It needs a laptop to get the data out.  This is the scanner I had before HPtuners so I dont really need it right now.  It is what produced that code file I linked above

Terry Kennedy

Post by Terry Kennedy » Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:33 am

[quote="Driver"]
I think in a garage setting, rather than using a cutoff switch, I'd have a booster/charging box I could plug in to add capacity when storing the atom. [/quote]

That's what I do - I have a Deltran 021-0128 battery tender. It sits on a wall shelf and the cable dangles down to the Atom. I have a quick disconnect cable (comes with the Deltran) hardwired to the battery and the free end tied to the frame near the driver's side steering linkage. It has a protective cap to keep the connector end from being gunked up on the road.

I have a big "Remove before flight" red streamer on the cable that hangs from the tender, so I don't forget to disconnect before I pull out of the garage.

silver

Post by silver » Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:51 am

[quote="bolus"]
Silver, do you have a PC laptop?  I could mail you my OBD scanner and software (if I can find it) and let you test it out.  It needs a laptop to get the data out.  This is the scanner I had before HPtuners so I dont really need it right now.  It is what produced that code file I linked above
[/quote]

I do have a laptop, and I don't have the battery master switch.....since I had been playing with the immobilizer system, I'd disconnected my battery so many times within the last week, and also ran it through a rented code reader, that I know that reset everything.....what I don't 100% for sure, is if any or all 3 of the items will change from not ready to ready.....I only need one, because you still pass with 2 incomplete according to the guy at the inspection place.

MadMaxedAtom

Post by MadMaxedAtom » Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:35 am

Eliminate the secondary O2 sensor from the program and you will take care of two monitor tests,leaving the evap test.

I would eliminate both while you are in there.It should not be difficult to do.

I can't tell you exactly how,as I have only reprogrammed with the Hydra ECM sysytem (Mazda)and the Tweecer ECM(Ford).

Both are capable of removing most parameters that are not required for your specific application.

The HPTuner should be able to do the same thing.

Driver

Post by Driver » Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:02 pm

I believe eliminating the second O2 would have it fail the inspection test. I think it polls both O2's as well as checks for those monitors, just like it checks for the mil light. Eliminating certain tests would only trigger the DMV computer to flunk the test outright... Someone much smarter about what the various state agencys actually look for needs to weigh in on this. I urge caution and further research on what can be eliminated vs what you need to make sure works (or at least shows as successful in the code).

MadMaxedAtom

Post by MadMaxedAtom » Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:56 pm

NO,you are wrong. Eliminating the secondary O2 will not trigger anything. The inspection machine links to the vehicles ECM and looks for any trouble codes and if all the MONITORED tests have run.

But what the %uck do I know.Hell I only do this EVERY FUYGing day of my LIFE!

I have sucussfully eliminated MANY codes  and monitored tests from programs on the Hydra and Tweecer,but I am NOT familiar with HPTuners software and can't tell you exactly how  to do it with their stuff. >:(

Whatever.Good luck. sheesh......
Last edited by MadMaxedAtom on Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bolus

Post by bolus » Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:59 pm

Really Max?  I just thought you stayed at a Holiday inn express :)

Driver

Post by Driver » Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:20 pm

Well, if you have insights into the tests that the DMV's computers run fire away. I KNOW a lot of stuff can be eliminated and cars will run fine, all I'm saying is that one might not be able to eliminate a test that is required to return a specific result.

bolus

Post by bolus » Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:24 pm

Since the Atom ECU isn't accessible by HP tuners anyway, this would have to go away on it's own.  Otherwise you are starting from scratch with a cobalt ECU.  You cant access the Atom ECU with HPtuners software and modify anything. 

MadMaxedAtom

Post by MadMaxedAtom » Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:41 pm

I assumed we were talking about a Cobalt ECM that had already been reflashed with an HPTuner.

Those monitors will never run on the factory Atom/GM stage 3 "off road racing" processor. 

You will have to get a Cobalt ECM and have it reflashed with HPTuners and eliminate any unwanted parameters.

NO state using the aldl to check codes or the monitor conditions is "testing"  anything. >:(    They are merely reading what is in the vehicles ecm history.

The only true tests are done with a tailpipe gas sniffer with the car on rollers (IM240)
Last edited by MadMaxedAtom on Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.