need a little assistance........again

silver

need a little assistance........again

Post by silver » Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:10 pm

Ok so I went for my re-inspection today, and failed.  BUT, I think I failed (according to the inspector) because of how recently I put on my catalytic converter.

I did NOT fail because of the code being thrown from the immobilizer, SO I'm completely done with that project.

My car showed NOT READY on 3 items

Evaporater monitor NOT READY
02 Sensor NOT READY
02 Sensor Heater NOT READY

So the inspector said I need to put 150-200 miles on the car without disconnecting the battery in order for the computer system to show ready on those components.  Does that sound like a good theory, or does it sound like the Atom doesn't even have those Monitors on the car in the first place therefore they will never show ready?

There is a way someone here could help me out.  If anyone has an OBDII reader, that has not recently disconnected their battery, can you run a test really quickly and see if your car shows ready on all the monitors please.  I recently had an OBDII reader, and I remember seeing these monitors show up as Not Ready but at the time I didn't know what that meant, now I do....any help is appreciated.

I'm taking the car out right now to get some miles on it, and I have 15 days to reinspect for free, so hopefully someone out there knows the answer, thanks!!

bolus

Re: need a little assistance........again

Post by bolus » Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:22 pm

what codes were they?

Karl

Post by Karl » Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:26 pm

If it's anything like the Hondas, you will be missing the post-cat O2 sensor.  That will probably throw codes, unless (like on the Honda) you disable checking of the secondary O2 sensor - whether that is possible is entirely up to your ECU.

MadMaxedAtom

Post by MadMaxedAtom » Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:48 am

He did not have any codes. The monitors are tests that the ECM runs periodically when conditions are proper.

The evap can never run successfully as we don't have an evap system.It won't throw a code,but will never satisfy the evap monitor to ready condition.

The  O2 test will wait forever to run as well as I don't believe the Atom has a secondary O2 sensor.

However,I believe these tests can be programmed out of the system to not show up on a monitor run check.

bolus

Post by bolus » Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:59 am

how are they tested for if they dont show up on a code reader?

MadMaxedAtom

Post by MadMaxedAtom » Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:03 am

The "code reader" looks at the available tests and only sees if they are ready (have ben run) or not.  It does not care if they pass or fail,only if they have run.

You cannot force a test to run. It is part of the ECM's program,which will have to be....modified.

silver

Post by silver » Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:06 am

they do show up on the code reader....they don't show up as "codes" rather they show up as "monitors" that aren't ready yet, like Mad was saying.

Darth can HP tuners take these and erase them....there were others that show up as N/A and that doesn't count against me such as Air Cond, Heated Cat and EGR sys....but you can't have more than 2 show not ready, and I had 3....so if I can at least get 1 more to show ready, then I pass another year.

So just to reiterate, is there anyone possibly Darth, or anyone else that has an OBD II reader that can run out to there car real quick and check the status of the monitors?  Obviously I should be specific and state for the Ecotec model just in case someone who doesn't know is reading this thread, thanks all!!!!

bolus

Post by bolus » Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:08 am

Looking through the logs of one of my code reader dumps I see them now
http://bolus.shackspace.com/atom/atom_codes.xls

O2 Sensor Monitoring Status(NO UNITS) Incomplete
Evaporative System Monitoring Status(NO UNITS) Incomplete
O2 Sensor Heater Monitoring Status(NO UNITS) Incomplete

MadMaxedAtom

Post by MadMaxedAtom » Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:09 am

Some inexpensive "code readers" will not tell you if the monitors are ready or not. You need a scanner tool that shows more than just simple codes.

silver

Post by silver » Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:17 am

[quote="bolus"]
Looking through the logs of one of my code reader dumps I see them now
http://bolus.shackspace.com/atom/atom_codes.xls

O2 Sensor Monitoring Status(NO UNITS) Incomplete
Evaporative System Monitoring Status(NO UNITS) Incomplete
O2 Sensor Heater Monitoring Status(NO UNITS) Incomplete

[/quote]

fu$% that's NOT GOOD, that means that the likely-hood of my ECU ever running those is now lower...however, I'm sure you don't remember if you ran this within a few hundred miles of disconnecting your battery, and if so, then it's not really an indicator..............do you remember?

MadMaxedAtom

Post by MadMaxedAtom » Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:22 am

I had the secondary O2 "turned off" on my Focus program altogether.No codes, no monitor status activity.

There must be a way for the HP tuner to do the same thing to the GM ECM.

bolus

Post by bolus » Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:23 am

I cant really test (my car wont turn on for some reason).  I'll ask darth since he still have my computer and hptuners.  Hptuners comes with its own code reader

MadMaxedAtom

Post by MadMaxedAtom » Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:27 am

The HPTuner software should be able to tell which tests have run.It is more than a simple "code reader".

silver

Post by silver » Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:42 am

thanks bolus, maybe Darth can just make a new tune that eliminates those monitors as well.....email it to me on top of his current tune...then when I get my new ECU in the mail in a week or so, I'll be able to install it, and never look back!

Driver

Post by Driver » Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:29 am

At a dealership, if any work is done requiring the battery be disconnected or replaced prior to doing a state inspection customers are told to bring their car back a week or so later so the PCM can run it's monitors.  Any good dealer will decline to do the inspection outright as it's a waste of the customers time. It doesn't exhibit as a visible code but will flunk the car when the State's computer is hooked up to the OBDII port is connected up and polled.

It's not a problem go put a couple of hundred miles on the car and have it (re)tested.