My muffler Xsploded :(

DarthChicken

Re: My muffler Xsploded :(

Post by DarthChicken » Fri Jan 18, 2008 3:10 pm

Even my setup is like that now (you tap the muffler and it rings nice and clear... when you first start the car up, its like Thor himself just arrived).  I'm searching for either a rebuildable muffler or one that won't blow out on the track.

silver

Post by silver » Fri Jan 18, 2008 3:46 pm

Force, I don't have the part number, I wasn't the one to find it in the catalog.....I'd really recommend just taking it to the local muffler shop and having them replace it with a new one, I love "local muffler shops" they never rip you off, they charge very little for their work and in general employ some great welders, when I had my gaskets blow out that's what I did.

maverick1

Post by maverick1 » Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:37 pm

Guys, what we should have done is ask the people who run the AAE who were at Atomfest where we can get the mufflers they use for the AAE Atoms. I took a look but didn't think to ask. My muffler had not blown out at that point. They use a smaller more round muffler that is re-packable, and use slip joints on all the bends.
Do you guys think Brammo would know anything about these mufflers?
Cheersâ?¢

maverick1

Post by maverick1 » Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:57 pm

[quote="rfmarz"]
At AtomFest, I had the flex's blow out (twice) and the license, backup and FIA rain light melted (along with the wiring) due to exhaust leaks. That muffler (like Bottoz says) is cheap. I just purchased the add on from Summit to make it quieter- but haven't installed it yet. Incidentally, when I replaced my flex pipe with the slippy pipe, I emptied out a slug of aluminum from the muffler. It's junk. :td:
[/quote]
Hello Rich. Is there any way you could post some pics of your modified exhaust with those new slip joints? Do you have 1 or 2 slip joints with your new system?
I'm not sure just how long Calscots jimmy rigged tin can gasket will last.
Cheersâ?¢

rfmarz@frontiernet

Post by rfmarz@frontiernet » Sat Jan 19, 2008 3:45 pm

Hi Mavrick. I have only one slip joint (right behind the license plate). Its' overlap on the male was slightly too long requiring me to take, i think, 3/32'' off of the pipe. My primary worry about this is that, I feel, I might need a little more flex in the system- likely by way of a rubber washer with the bolts not cinched down tight. I hear and feel a little bit of resonance in the frame at certain rpm's. Also, I had to modify some of the bracketry to allow the pipe to be fitted.
In spite of the small issues, I applaud Brammo for doing this repair for me.

positron

Post by positron » Sat Jan 26, 2008 3:55 am

[quote="rfmarz"]
I might need a little more flex in the system- likely by way of a rubber washer with the bolts not cinched down tight. I hear and feel a little bit of resonance in the frame at certain rpm's.
[/quote]

Your spot on here. You can file the mounting hole a bit out of round and loosen the lock nut's a bit so that it will have some range of motion. The can should not be affixed rigid at the mounting points. I did this early on.

forcesevens

Post by forcesevens » Sat Jan 26, 2008 4:02 am

I took the muffler to a local meinikie and they spot wielded it back for $20
which also included a gasket.  Not to shabby.

I also noticed that the back of the muffler has a huge wield in the shape of a rectangle
almost the size of the entire muffler.  Do you guys have stock mufflers like that?
If not, perhaps the previous owner took out the baffles.  Anyway, the back looked terrible.

positron

Post by positron » Sat Jan 26, 2008 4:06 am

Indications of too much inside trying to get outside...