My muffler Xsploded :(

forcesevens

My muffler Xsploded :(

Post by forcesevens » Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:51 am

I noticed this today :(

I called brammo and they quoted me $850 :(
Does anyone have one sitting around they can sell me?

Bottoz

Re: My muffler Xsploded :(

Post by Bottoz » Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:05 am

LOL, that's only an $800 mark-up! ;)

There's a recent thread here. I know Silver is getting a nice new exhaust done... perhaps you could talk to him? And Darth along with Positron both have non-stock mufflers too.

bolus

Post by bolus » Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:12 am

looks like half the cars at Atomfest :)

CalScot

Post by CalScot » Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:23 am

He got off easy, the lights are not melted :D

Nobody means to be a smart ass Forcesevens. Its a very typical problem many have had. From melted lights and license plates to melted wiring.

fiestycolumbian

Post by fiestycolumbian » Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:36 am

Why are they charging you for a new muffler?? Is the car fairly new? 850 is way too much, you can have much better designed one for about the same. Id sell you mine, but it is full of crap, and maybe starting to fail. My entire exhaust is already a ticking time bomb, justing waiting on a fellow atom owner to hurry up and get done with his rebuild ;). My suggestion is to forget Brammo and see what others on the forum are doing.

Fiesty

silver

Post by silver » Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:50 am

forcesevens....I can't be of much help yet as far as a new total exhaust, however, I do believe that muffler goes for $35 out of the Summitt catalog....if you really want an easy solution, just take the car to your local muffler shop (not midas but more like a Joe's muffler's) and they'll be able to put a new muffler on there, probably get you some decent options and keep it probably under $200 installed.

forcesevens

Post by forcesevens » Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:14 am

[quote="fiestycolumbian"]
Why are they charging you for a new muffler?? Is the car fairly new? 850 is way too much, you can have much better designed one for about the same. Id sell you mine, but it is full of crap, and maybe starting to fail. My entire exhaust is already a ticking time bomb, justing waiting on a fellow atom owner to hurry up and get done with his rebuild ;). My suggestion is to forget Brammo and see what others on the forum are doing.
Fiesty
[/quote]Yeah I have 2k miles on it. :(
[quote="silver"]
forcesevens....I can't be of much help yet as far as a new total exhaust, however, I do believe that muffler goes for $35 out of the Summitt catalog....if you really want an easy solution, just take the car to your local muffler shop (not midas but more like a Joe's muffler's) and they'll be able to put a new muffler on there, probably get you some decent options and keep it probably under $200 installed.
[/quote]Thanks silver!  I'll give that a try.
What can I do to drive it in the mean time?  Drive is slow?

shinoo

Post by shinoo » Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:22 am

[quote="forcesevens"]
What can I do to drive it in the mean time?  Drive is slow?
[/quote]

Don't drive it as hot exhaust will spew out and damage more of your Atom.  Trailer it or tow it to your shop.

forcesevens

Post by forcesevens » Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:29 am

shinoo - got it.  it's grounded :p
Silver, do you have a part number for the muffler?

Gage

Post by Gage » Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:36 am

[quote="bolus"]
looks like half the cars at Atomfest :)
[/quote]

Truth.

positron

Post by positron » Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:46 am

Your lucky you got 2k miles...

rfmarz@frontiernet

Post by rfmarz@frontiernet » Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:15 pm

At AtomFest, I had the flex's blow out (twice) and the license, backup and FIA rain light melted (along with the wiring) due to exhaust leaks. That muffler (like Bottoz says) is cheap. I just purchased the add on from Summit to make it quieter- but haven't installed it yet. Incidentally, when I replaced my flex pipe with the slippy pipe, I emptied out a slug of aluminum from the muffler. It's junk. :td:

forcesevens

Post by forcesevens » Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:45 pm

Heres the trouble... we're going to take it to a trade show in about a week.
We're holding drawings for a ride so it's got to be ready.
What do you guys think of JB weld?

Mr.Woolery

Post by Mr.Woolery » Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:18 pm

Take it to a muffler shop and have them fab something up.  Just about any muffler shop worth their salt can make a decent replacement.

For what it's worth, I recently discovered that my muffler isn't much of a muffler anymore.  I think, over time, I've managed to blow out most of its innards.  It's a mostly hollow shell now...so I guess I shouldn't call it a muffler anymore.  I think it's now a resonator.  :laugh:

rfmarz@frontiernet

Post by rfmarz@frontiernet » Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:42 pm

I think it's always been a resonator. :laugh: