Steering bushing is here and installed

DarthChicken

Re: Steering bushing is here and installed

Post by DarthChicken » Sat Jan 12, 2008 6:21 pm

The one piece one has a spiral cut race in it, with a hole in the side of it for putting in a zirc fitting.  So its setup for lubricating if you feel the need (maybe higher RPM use or load).  The graphite based part (the ~$60) is self lubricating. 

That said, I just put a couple little dabs of silicon based grease on the shaft and slid it in.  If it starts to get sticky, I'll worry about it then, but I honestly don't see it happening.

shinoo

Post by shinoo » Sat Jan 19, 2008 5:08 am

Nice work Darth!  :tu:

dingo

Post by dingo » Mon Feb 18, 2008 4:46 pm

I've got wobble.

So, I bought the cheaper bushing. ~ $26.50 
Thanks for the link Darth.

One thought on the press.

You can use a bolt,
pop a couple of sturdy washers on the top,
pass it through the assembly with the bushing in position to go in perpendicular
fasten a nut with a couple of sturdy washers at bottom end and slowly tighten

Like a swage tool works. 

Yes there may be an issue keeping the entire assemly aligned perpendicular.
Maybe on 2nd thought a combo of heating \ cooling plus this method as handy household backup method in
case the hydraulic press is out of order.  Just a thought.

DarthChicken

Post by DarthChicken » Mon Feb 18, 2008 6:09 pm

I was going to do this, but didn't have a long enough bolt laying around to tell the truth.  And if you do this, make sure you put lots of anti-sieze on the threads of the bolt, and probably should use a grade 8 bolt and nut.  You get the nut cross threaded from doing this, and you're in for a world of hurt. 

dingo

Post by dingo » Mon Feb 18, 2008 6:20 pm

All good points. I have anti sieze (two containers). So it would be a REAL shame to miss one step and balls up the entire project. 
Thanks again for the link.

I had thought of using two off the shelf flanged bushings, pressed in from either end, but realized that maybe the
bottom one might work itself loose over time.  So I'm adopting your solution.

Another term for Oilite -  sintered bronze

dingo

Post by dingo » Tue Mar 11, 2008 6:00 pm

OK, I have the bracket dismounted and the allen lockkey pin backed out, but how can I pry the steering input splined shaft out from the universal joint knuckle ?

Also, for later.  My bracket (picture once it's off the car) is asymmetrical as yours is, but in place of two of the circular holes, has slots. 
Which orientation ? 

The longer of the flanges pointing inboard or outboard?  I should have paid attention, but was overly concerned with not dropping a washer.
Silly me.  Fussing over a washer that would fall into the tub vs paying attention to the important stuff. 

dingo

Post by dingo » Tue Mar 11, 2008 6:25 pm

Mysterious second allen key lock pin discovered! 

Ah ha!
Slipped right orf.

bolus

Post by bolus » Tue Mar 11, 2008 6:34 pm

Darth. do you have a link to the bushing?  The last link you posted does not work anymore

dingo

Post by dingo » Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:30 pm

http://www.reidsupply.com/detail.aspx?R=SLB-466&ST=

Observations
My bushing OD must be a bee's dick smaller than Darth's.
I was surprised that once it was lubed up, it dropped pretty much right into the bracket, no press required.
I will use a brake hone on the inside bore of the bushing to permit easy passage of the steering shaft. It was binding (as Darth had suggested might be the case).

So the way my new arrangement might work is that the bushing and the steering shaft are free to rotate.  Doesn't much matter to me which, but less chance of seizing.   
Last edited by dingo on Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DarthChicken

Post by DarthChicken » Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:19 pm

And as for bracket orientation - it'll only go back together one way.  If you try to put it together the wrong way, you'll find that it looks like the bushing is too thick, that the shaft seems to have gotten shorter.

The correct orientation is to have the "long" side towards the outside of the car.

Driver

Post by Driver » Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:29 am

[quote="dingo"]
My bushing OD must be a bee's dick smaller than Darth's.[/quote]

Never would'a thunk it. Here we get a anatomy lessons on Bees as a benefit of the Atom Forum. Consider it a perk ya'll.  ;D
Attachments
BeeSmiley.gif
BeeSmiley.gif (37.28 KiB) Viewed 784 times

dingo

Post by dingo » Wed Mar 12, 2008 1:00 am

Many thanks. Y'all.

Now debate is whether to use some bonding agent on outside of bushing as that's where the tiniest movement can be felt. I am pleased to report that the steering tube is as smooth as a rifle bolt with nary a hint of wobble. White lithium grease from bicycling days might be the ticket. Looking forward to this. 

Wow. 
Kitchen counter is splattered with cutting oil and so I guess I might just as well wash the rims \ tires in the sink before I get to clean it all up. 
(put new Yokos on rear rims but the installer left them grotty with brake dust).  It would not be a first. 

DarthChicken

Post by DarthChicken » Wed Mar 12, 2008 1:22 am

Tires/rims in the sink?  That sounds like a Bolus move!  If I tried that, I would be dead before they dried.  :pop:

dingo

Post by dingo » Wed Mar 12, 2008 2:49 am

It's decided then. 

A liberal spanking of RTV then on outside of oilite bushing at the top flange end. Press it and let set o'night.
Enough to let a wee bead squeeze out at top.  Might smear some throughout the length of the housing to try to reduce rate of rusting. I don't want to lube it.

Will RTV hold oilite?  I shall find out. 

DarthChicken

Post by DarthChicken » Wed Mar 12, 2008 5:15 am

I don't see why it wouldn't.  Especially with the non-existant friction of the shaft running through it.