Stock Ecotec Muffler Replacement

rfmarz@frontiernet

Stock Ecotec Muffler Replacement

Post by rfmarz@frontiernet » Sat Dec 29, 2007 3:52 pm

I have the "300"hp Ecotec and have just replaced the exhaust pipe with the slippy pipe supplied by Brammo. I am not likely to invest in a completely new exhaust system anytime soon. My muffler is quite ineffective at reducing the noise level at anything other than steady throttle. Does anyone know of where to get a cost effective muffler that will bolt onto my pipe w/o modification?

I am looking to reduce noise level significantly without increasing backpressure to a level where it will reduce engine performance. I don't know if this is a pipe dream or is easily attainable. Can someone please advise me? Thanks.

MadMaxedAtom

Re: Stock Ecotec Muffler Replacement

Post by MadMaxedAtom » Sat Dec 29, 2007 4:04 pm

Correct 2.5 inlet muffler...  http://store.summitracing.com/partdetai ... toview=sku

Buy a 2.25" to 2.5" pipe adaptor (cut it shorter) and an extra pack of 12, 3" Supertrapp discs.(it only comes with 12)

Weld it to the end of the stock muffler outlet,right at the very end.Easily reversible with a Sawsall with minimal impact to the stock appearance. ;D

You could clamp it on,but I wanted the most minimalistic approach. :tu:

89db@50' with 24 discs and NO backpressure(well, almost zero w/24 discs)Image
Last edited by MadMaxedAtom on Sat Dec 29, 2007 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rfmarz@frontiernet

Post by rfmarz@frontiernet » Sat Dec 29, 2007 4:06 pm

Thank you for that idea MadMax! What is the db rating of the stock fart can?

MadMaxedAtom

Post by MadMaxedAtom » Sat Dec 29, 2007 4:08 pm

101db @ 50'! I was told not to return till I did something about it.

So,being a cheap SOB,I started to dig.... ;) and came up with a perfect solution that installed in about 1hr. with no loss of power.

I did not want to invest in a new exhaust I would have to discard during turbo installation in the future ; :tu:
Last edited by MadMaxedAtom on Sat Dec 29, 2007 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rfmarz@frontiernet

Post by rfmarz@frontiernet » Sat Dec 29, 2007 4:10 pm

So, what kind of investment does it require? Oops, just have to look at the website. ::)

MadMaxedAtom

Post by MadMaxedAtom » Sat Dec 29, 2007 4:16 pm

2.25 to 2.5 " exhaust pipe adaptor...  $17 bucks  (usually cheaper locally)

Muffler is $72 bucks   http://store.summitracing.com/partdetai ... toview=sku

and extra discs are $27 bucks....   
                                               http://store.summitracing.com/partdetai ... P-504-6512

Total cost  about $120/shipped.

Very simple to weld it on the end of the tp,or clamp it, Jed! ;)

In all honesty,I swear my car is faster.Might just be it's SO much quieter it surprises you a bit more :laugh:
Last edited by MadMaxedAtom on Sat Dec 29, 2007 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rfmarz@frontiernet

Post by rfmarz@frontiernet » Sat Dec 29, 2007 4:27 pm

I assume the adaptor is necessary to go from the stock exhaust diameter to that of the Supertrapp inlet? Also, I would assume that they make only one diameter? Or shall I say that they don't make a diameter to exactly fit our stock muffler pipe.
Last edited by rfmarz@frontiernet on Sat Dec 29, 2007 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MadMaxedAtom

Post by MadMaxedAtom » Sat Dec 29, 2007 6:10 pm

MY BAD! It's been a while since I did this.You will need this muffler;  http://store.summitracing.com/partdetai ... toview=sku

which has a 2.5" inlet.Our stock tailpipe outlet is 2.25",so you will need a 2.5" to 2.25" adaptor.. :doh:

foobar12345

Post by foobar12345 » Wed Jan 02, 2008 8:35 pm

Thanks for the info MadMax.  I just ordered one+adapter and will either weld it myself or take it down to the local muffler shop.  I also recommended this to one of my friends who has a shannon race car since he is running straight pipe and had been looking at some sort of easy muffler/silencer solution.

I have never welded anything before, is it a pretty straightforward process?  I wanted to learn how to do it. I noticed my adapter is aluminized finish but steel and the muffler is steel, so is that considered a straight steel-steel weld?  Btw, there are adapters for $5.99 at summit:

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=WLK%2D41961&N=700+4294923429+4294820497+4294846842+115&autoview=sku

Any welding pointers would be appreciated.  One of my friends has a lincoln set I can borrow where the wire is fed out automatically.

-Brad

silver

Post by silver » Wed Jan 02, 2008 8:43 pm

yeah....where a welding mask :o  haha good luck Brad!!!  hopefully someday I'll have my car back with a new exhaust to show off to everybody!

MadMaxedAtom

Post by MadMaxedAtom » Wed Jan 02, 2008 9:44 pm

Brad,welding with a MIG wire feed welder is almost as easy as drawing a line with a pen.

The alu finish will not bother the welding process. (galvinized coatings do,but we won't discuss that.. :P)

Practice a little bit on the same thickness material you will be welding to find the ideal heat range and wire feed speed.

The arc should be consistent and sound like bacon frying when you are doing it correctly.

Watch the puddle and not the arc.The puddle is where it all happens. ;)

It really is very easy.

The most difficult jobs encountered welding require you to fill gaps or weld dissimilar or dirty materials.

Once you run a bead or two,you will be hooked ;D ;D ;D ;D

You can start with a .024 wire,115v wire feed mig welder (around $450) with gas shield and unless you start to get into thick stuff will never need a bigger machine.

Flux core mig is OK,but not as clean as gas shield mig.

Gas shielded mig requires you buy/rent a gas cyl, but it is worth it.

CO2 gas will be fine unless you plan on welding alu or stainless.  I use Argoshield,which is a mix of Argon and CO2.

I use a 115v .024 wire size MIG for lightweight welding and a 220v .030 wire MIG for more serious stuff.

Next thing you will want is a plasma cutter ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D :tu: :tu:

rfmarz@frontiernet

Post by rfmarz@frontiernet » Fri Jan 04, 2008 5:08 pm

Mad, I just got my pancake muffler from Summit. Since this is a muffler by itself, what do you think of getting a short piece to bolt onto the pipe before the existing muffler, then removing the muffler and replace it with the pancake?

MadMaxedAtom

Post by MadMaxedAtom » Fri Jan 04, 2008 5:56 pm

Interesting,but I think it's going to be too loud.

Then again,with 12 discs,it may be OK.

You may have to....experiment.          hehehe... :tu: