Turbo build journal

MadMaxedAtom

Re: Turbo build journal

Post by MadMaxedAtom » Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:26 pm

The stock pistons are not going to be forged,as I seriously doubt Brammo installed forged pistons or had GM install them.

If,IF your tune is good,the stock pistons should live at 300hp.BUT,ther is NO room for error.. :P

bolus

Post by bolus » Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:31 pm

Im getting Mordor pistons forged in the heart of mount doom.  They take a while to ship though and only a hobbit can install them

(sloooow friday)

dingo

Post by dingo » Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:47 pm

The world has changed. 

I feel it in the water, I feel it in the earth, I smell it in the air.
Much of what once was, is lost.
For none now live who remember it....

But they were all of them deceived, for another ring (Atom) was made.

In the land of Mordor, (Portland), in the fires of Mount Doom, (Dr. Bolus's lair), the dark Lord Sauron (YKW)
forged in secret, a master ring to control all others and into this ring,
he poured his cruelty, his malice and his will to dominate all life

One Atom to rule them all.........
Last edited by dingo on Sat Dec 08, 2007 2:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

positron

Post by positron » Sat Dec 08, 2007 2:21 am

Curious to know if we have the smooth "10" hp balance shaft..

bolus

Post by bolus » Sat Dec 08, 2007 5:45 am

Woohoo!  Engine is out.  Thanks to Darth for all the help

Tried it this way first but ended up having to use a load leveler to point the transmission side down at almost a 30 degree angle to get the engine out.

Here she is hanging free

Darth got tired of me slowly cranking on the crane and lifted it out himself

I can finally clean the top of the fuel tank.  It was filthy!

The car is now powered by ROCK AND ROLL!!

Only one small scratch on the frame (actually it was already there when Brammo put the engine in,  I just made it a little worse)

Now the plan is to strip off as much as possible and then bring it to the engine builder next friday. 
Last edited by bolus on Sat Dec 08, 2007 5:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

DarthChicken

Post by DarthChicken » Sat Dec 08, 2007 6:08 am

Golum.... Golum.... my precious, yes!

MadMaxedAtom

Post by MadMaxedAtom » Sat Dec 08, 2007 12:41 pm

You now officially have a glider. :tu:    :pop: :pop: :pop: ;D ;D ;D :pop: :pop:

I have been wondering if a GT40 drivetrain would fit in there... :laugh:

Alec

Post by Alec » Sat Dec 08, 2007 1:40 pm

The phrase 'Like A Pig In Sh*t' came to mind when I saw that photo, but then, you'd have polished that as well I imagine.  ;D

Atom 245, (Atom 160 - SOLD), Yamaha XVZ1300 Royal Star, Ford Sierra 4X4 Ghia Estate, Skoda Octavia vRS Estate, VW Golf 2.0 TSI GTI (Nadine's)

Bottoz

Post by Bottoz » Sat Dec 08, 2007 1:50 pm

Haha, what a stud.

[img width=337 height=600]http://bolus.shackspace.com/atom/turbo/day5_4.jpg[/img]

dial911

Post by dial911 » Sat Dec 08, 2007 4:48 pm

Bolus- Sorry I came late to the show. Who's car is this you're tearing apart? I thought your car had black panels? You buy a second one ;D?

bolus

Post by bolus » Sat Dec 08, 2007 5:40 pm

[quote="Alec"]
The phrase 'Like A Pig In Sh*t' came to mind when I saw that photo, but then, you'd have polished that as well I imagine.  ;D

[/quote]

Haha, actually, I'm really pulling the engine so I can clean the car better... you found out my secret :)

[quote="dial911"]
Bolus- Sorry I came late to the show. Who's car is this you're tearing apart? I thought your car had black panels? You buy a second one ;D?
[/quote]

Its my car.  I decided at Atomfest that I wanted to do something fun with the engine.  I thought it would be a great project to do as much as I could by myself to learn about engines and tuning.  The goal is to build up the engine so that it could withstand quite a bit (500hp).  Then this year I'll go with a turbo solution that will hopefully end up around 350hp.  Then over the next few years watch the technology and see if I can bump up the HP past 400 and still make the car reasonably drivable.  so it is much more a project about the journey (learning all about engines) than the final result. 

I got the green panels because I bought the same intercooler than calscot has.  It may very well require that I cut up the airbox to get it in (like he had to do on his car) so I did not want to chop up my carbon fiber airbox.  I asked brammo for green and since they have never made a "standard green" panel for a car they said I could have any color I wanted.  So I went with BRG. 

[img width=450 height=600]http://bolus.shackspace.com/atom/turbo/Turbo1.jpg[/img]

bolus

Post by bolus » Sun Dec 09, 2007 9:49 pm

I got the transmission off.  fly wheel bolts were a pain in the ass. 

For anyone who has the external oil cooler and filter, how is everything hooked up by the original location of the filter?  If I wanted to hook up a better oil cooler this is probably where I would put it.  There is an oil pressure sensor that goes at the end of the oil cooler too.  I would need to relocated it as well.  Any ideas?

Sensor location

The next big question is what upgrade clutch should I go with?  Reading through the cobalt and redline forums today it looks like the most highly recommended one is the Exedy.  Anyone have a sense if this would be a good clutch for the Atom?

http://www.exedyusa.com/race/GH02SD
Attachments
315EA5P1RNL._AA252_.jpg
315EA5P1RNL._AA252_.jpg (14.63 KiB) Viewed 298 times

MadMaxedAtom

Post by MadMaxedAtom » Sun Dec 09, 2007 10:01 pm

Exedy stage 4 with the light flywheel should do the trick :tu:   That clutch looks big...can you measure it for me?Looks about 10" .Good to see GM put some stout stuff in there stock. Flywheel bolts probably had red Loctite on 'em. :o
Last edited by MadMaxedAtom on Sun Dec 09, 2007 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bolus

Post by bolus » Sun Dec 09, 2007 10:13 pm

Yeah, diameter is 9.5"  Image

According to the Exedy site, the only clutches that will fit (cobalt search) are the Stage 1 organic, exedy hyper single clutch (linked above) and the multiplate clutch kit.

Besides being a $1000 more, the multiplate kit says it is not for street use and would probably be overly harsh in the Atom and can take up to 500 ft-lbs of torque.  So that is quite the overkill.  The hyper single seemed the better choice.

I've got recommendations both ways on the flywheel.  I'll probably stay stock and spend the money on internals. 

AustrianAtom

Post by AustrianAtom » Sun Dec 09, 2007 11:18 pm

Bolus

when the engine is open dont save the money for a light flywheel as it will make the car quicker because of the faster rev build up.
I have a fully build Subaru Impreza (450hp) and with the lightened flywheel and the light pullys it revs up like a motorcycle engine. Big improvement over stock!
The only drawback light flywheels and pulleys have is that you sometimes can stall the car if you start from a standstill, but with the little weight of the Atom i dont see the same problem here. Go for it.

Markus