Turbo build journal

Driver

Re: Turbo build journal

Post by Driver » Fri Dec 07, 2007 2:41 am

Aww man! There I go painting a picture, you could've at least let them wonder for a half day or so if there was even a sliver of truth to it... :)

bolus

Post by bolus » Fri Dec 07, 2007 2:43 am

Im trying to change my image from a loopy detailer to a crazed motorhead  :D

Driver

Post by Driver » Fri Dec 07, 2007 2:48 am

Why? When you could be both! The crazed, loopy, detailing motorhead

bolus

Post by bolus » Fri Dec 07, 2007 2:58 am

I like the sound of that

wisp

Post by wisp » Fri Dec 07, 2007 4:30 am

[quote="CalScot"]
[quote="wisp"]
Any idea what sort of boost you will have to run yet?

[/quote]

Figure 12HP per 1 PSI of boost. Base motor output at say 190. looking for 400hp=17.5psi needed. It's a decent rule of thumb. It's cocktail hour here, so I may be wrong, ..HIC.. :P
[/quote]

[quote="bolus"]
so then 100 = 1200hp.  that sounds about right
[/quote]

Ha ha, If Pete's right it's 1390 (you forgot to add the base figure)  :laugh:

Hmm.. 120 + 10.5PSI is about 245  :-\ ........  ;D  ;)

Hey you crazed, loopy, detailing motorhead.. nice room.  :laugh:

bolus

Post by bolus » Fri Dec 07, 2007 5:35 am

Look at this little guy I found when I came home.  Isn't he cute?  I think I'll keep him

(by the way, you can remove the supercharger with the engine still in the car.  For those of you interested, there is roughly 6.5" of clearance in front of the intake manifold for something like a twin screw).

My intake manifold had a good 1/2" of water on the inside as well

All that is left are the shifter cables and the clutch line. 

Lane

Post by Lane » Fri Dec 07, 2007 6:30 am

[quote="Spanky"]
I think the next photo we would all like to see is the photo of a single man's living room with parts laid out everywhere on the tarp.  Good for you, making practical use of all that un-used open floor space. :D  One of the many benefits of being un-restrained by a marrage.
[/quote]

I second that.  :tu:

Lane
(has degreased engine parts in the bathtub)
Image 300hp Ecotec Atom that is driven.  Visit my website.

MadMaxedAtom

Post by MadMaxedAtom » Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:03 pm

Where do you thing that water came from?The water injection system leaking somehow?

cranius

Post by cranius » Fri Dec 07, 2007 4:11 pm

Those are humongous injectors! Are you sure you'll be needing that much fuel. And if you don't, wouldn't it be better to run smaller injectors at say 70% duty cycle than humongo injectors at 20% duty cycle? Just curious, I am no definitely not an expert.

bolus

Post by bolus » Fri Dec 07, 2007 4:32 pm

Not sure where the water came from.  Last thing I did was wash.  Perhaps some water got in the intake and then when I drove it into the garage was just enough to pull some into the manifold.  the WI should not do that. 

I guess we'll find out on the injectors.  :)

dingo

Post by dingo » Fri Dec 07, 2007 5:26 pm

Wheels have been cleaned repeatedly in our kitchen sink.
It's deep.

I'm still married.

Must be some mitigating factor(s) then? 

Oh, wait, wife #1 has never actually SEEN it happen, nor evidence, so perhaps the secret's wrapped up in the secret.
i.e. when she finds out, I'm toast.

bolus

Post by bolus » Fri Dec 07, 2007 5:55 pm

Ill get pictures off the old parts.  I want to keep them for sentimental reasons too.  Not too sure if I'll get to see the new parts since the engine builder will be ordering them.  I'll try though. 

The build book does recommend replacing the stock alluminum pistons when going up to 300hp.  The rods are forged though (page 103)
http://tunersource.gmblogs.com/Racer-Te ... Chap_6.pdf

DarthChicken

Post by DarthChicken » Fri Dec 07, 2007 6:13 pm

[quote="cranius"]
Those are humongous injectors! Are you sure you'll be needing that much fuel. And if you don't, wouldn't it be better to run smaller injectors at say 70% duty cycle than humongo injectors at 20% duty cycle? Just curious, I am no definitely not an expert.
[/quote]

They are big, but not HUGE.  The GM stage 3 kit comes with 60s I've heard, and I've also heard they are getting close to maxed out.  Thats at a MUCH lower HP figure than what we are trying to get to.

I would imagine those injectors Bolus is getting will be running in the mid-70s IDC.  Gas mileage doesnt' suffer if you can control the injectors at idle and cruise, but on the track he's gonna be filling up after every session  ;D

bolus

Post by bolus » Fri Dec 07, 2007 6:21 pm

\m/  :D  \m/

DarthChicken

Post by DarthChicken » Fri Dec 07, 2007 6:30 pm

[quote="bolus"]
Ill get pictures off the old parts.  I want to keep them for sentimental reasons too.  Not too sure if I'll get to see the new parts since the engine builder will be ordering them.  I'll try though. 

The build book does recommend replacing the stock alluminum pistons when going up to 300hp.  The rods are forged though (page 103)
http://tunersource.gmblogs.com/Racer-Te ... Chap_6.pdf
[/quote]

stock pistons to 300hp...  ::)... I'm gonna test that, and if they DO go, I'll put some 10.5:1 pistons in there, run the M62 supercharger at 12psi (so its not blowing hot air) and get more power out of it.