Turbo build journal

Kempo

Re: Turbo build journal

Post by Kempo » Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:32 pm

[quote="Gage"]
[quote="WorkingOnIt"]
Anyone wondering what Bolus has been up to - he just popped into a thread someone else started about his Turbo conversion on exocars.net

http://exocars.net/showthread.php?t=4647

There's also a link in the thread to his photobucket album with pictures that no longer link from this forum.
[/quote]

I value this site (forum.atomclub.com) for all the positive things it has done for the Atom owner community internationally. 

However, I can also say without any doubt that Bolus is one of the best agents of Atom information, enthusiasm, and resourcefulness on the planet.  With his time and money he goes out of his way to help other Atom enthusiasts.  Whatever led to his departure from this site stained and diminished it permanently.         

[/quote]

Totally agree with you. It's a shame he is no longer active here.

NormLarson

Post by NormLarson » Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:57 pm

[quote="Gage"]
[quote="WorkingOnIt"]
Anyone wondering what Bolus has been up to - he just popped into a thread someone else started about his Turbo conversion on exocars.net

http://exocars.net/showthread.php?t=4647

There's also a link in the thread to his photobucket album with pictures that no longer link from this forum.
[/quote]

I value this site (forum.atomclub.com) for all the positive things it has done for the Atom owner community internationally. 

However, I can also say without any doubt that Bolus is one of the best agents of Atom information, enthusiasm, and resourcefulness on the planet.  With his time and money he goes out of his way to help other Atom enthusiasts.  Whatever led to his departure from this site stained and diminished it permanently.         

[/quote]

I will third that sentiment!  I still marvel at his ability to find the most obscure thing ...

Hedge

Post by Hedge » Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:12 pm

I can't remember what drove him away. Though I can recall sending him a PM to try to persuade him to change his mind. Someone wound him up, can't bloody remember what/ who/ whom it was  :doh:

Cheers,
Hedge

John Scherrer
Global Moderator

Post by John Scherrer » Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:32 pm

Aug 27 2009 - Bolus stated he'd been trying some new vectoring software and had made a likeness of the Atom Logo
Aug 28 2009 - After legal arguements offered by elders of this forum, Bolus removed the link to his vectored log and deleted all his posts and pictures and was gone.

His parting words were "I think this is a good time to take a break from contributing here anyway."

I still hope and pray he'll forgive, forget and return.
Atom 3 310 Supercharged (2011), Now Sold

silver

Post by silver » Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:26 am

"SOMEONE" threatened to sue him.

whoever that someone is, I truly do not know, but you sir, are an !@#$....sue me >:D

apollyon25

Post by apollyon25 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:16 am

Yes, Bolus (aka Eric) is missed by nearly all here.
I went to look for the Brammo manual he'd scanned and uploaded... of course that too was gone.

He was always full of encouragement and enthusiasm, and never really had a bad thing to say to anyone, about anything.

I recall that his motion sickness was also preventing him from enjoying his car - Darth would know more details.

Darth, do you still stay in touch with him?

DarthChicken

Post by DarthChicken » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:43 am

Of course, as do several others on this forum... Just not here.

Hedge

Post by Hedge » Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:41 am

Ahhhh yes I remember now. Two UK guys digging him out about copyright or something. All got ridiculously out of control, from nothing. Can't believe he was threatened with being sued.

I know the two guys well enough. One's keyboard demeanour is nothing like what he's like in real life; I really struggled with him until I met him for instance. The other is very meek and mild and was uncharacteristically punchy at the time as I recall. Back then the argument appeared to be the straw that broke the camels back; he'd clearly been unhappy about certain people/ things and this particular incident just tipped him over the edge.

Still I don't believe either of the two UK guys concerned would have foreseen the outcome and hopefully - maybe - feel an ounce of regret over it now. Bolus was (is) unique; as I say I did write to him - I think he replied - but the damage was done. Shame for all involved.

Cheers,
Hedge

benyeats

Post by benyeats » Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:33 am

[quote="Hedge"]
Ahhhh yes I remember now. Two UK guys digging him out about copyright or something. All got ridiculously out of control, from nothing. Can't believe he was threatened with being sued.

I know the two guys well enough. One's keyboard demeanour is nothing like what he's like in real life; I really struggled with him until I met him for instance. The other is very meek and mild and was uncharacteristically punchy at the time as I recall. Back then the argument appeared to be the straw that broke the camels back; he'd clearly been unhappy about certain people/ things and this particular incident just tipped him over the edge.

Still I don't believe either of the two UK guys concerned would have foreseen the outcome and hopefully - maybe - feel an ounce of regret over it now. Bolus was (is) unique; as I say I did write to him - I think he replied - but the damage was done. Shame for all involved.

Cheers,
Hedge
[/quote]

I don't recall anyone threatening to sue anyone but yes it was an argument / comments over copyright.  The two UK guys involved both work in industries where copyright has to be sacrosanct or they can't make money so take it somewhat seriously. 

My recollection is it was a big fuss about nothing and a shame it ended how it did.

Ben

Heywood-Yablowme

Post by Heywood-Yablowme » Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:15 pm

I just bought 6 of these patches off Ebay. Copyright indeed!  Image

Steve Gibson
Administrator

Post by Steve Gibson » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:12 pm

There is some distortion here.

Bolus posted a vector file of the Ariel logo. We very politely told him that it was copyrighted and trademarked in the UK, and that it would be better to take it down for that reason. No more than that. There's no point pissing off Ariel unnecessarily.

He wasn't hounded, threatened with being sued, persecuted or driven off the forum.

I don't doubt he's a lovely guy, but there's nothing to regret, Hedge. His reaction was over the top.
First Atomised 2001.
Atom (165) > Atom 2 (220) > Atom 3 (300) > Atom 3.5 (310) > Atom 4 (350).
There is no cure.

Hedge

Post by Hedge » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:52 pm

I do still believe a lot of this was down to it not being a face to face discussion. I often read things on here from people I know and simply cannot rationalise how their comments come across, given what I know about them having met them. Happens all the time, everywhere. I'm sure people think the same about me for instance.

I remember thinking at the time some of the tone was a bit Headmaster-ish/ borderline patronising. Even if the same words had been used face to face I sincerely doubt whether events would have unfolded in quite the same way. Dare I say sometimes people using such prose don't even know how it reads/ can be perceived? And that area of doubt can be more easily reconciled or considered if you can put a face to the name/ keyboard...

Whatever you say, Steve, about regret/ Bolus being OTT at the end of the day it's resulted in a member leaving and the Fourm being a poorer place for it. Whether you care or not is your perogative; that's just my opinion.

Like you, I've never met him. Not likely to either.

Cheers, Hedge

deepdiver

Post by deepdiver » Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:15 pm

[quote="MadMaxAtom and company"]
I just bought 6 of these patches off Ebay. Copyright indeed!  Image
[/quote]

eBay is great, my mrs got me a sterling silver key ring for Xmas for my fob, im chuffed to bits with it as well,

George.

silver

Post by silver » Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:17 pm

[quote="Steve Gibson"]
There is some distortion here.

Bolus posted a vector file of the Ariel logo. We very politely told him that it was copyrighted and trademarked in the UK, and that it would be better to take it down for that reason. No more than that. There's no point pissing off Ariel unnecessarily.

He wasn't hounded, threatened with being sued, persecuted or driven off the forum.

I don't doubt he's a lovely guy, but there's nothing to regret, Hedge. His reaction was over the top.
[/quote]

my mistake it wasn't a self ban HE WAS BANNED.

you may not have threatened to sue him but someone did.

if it was a polite conversation asking him to take it down then why was he banned.

please don't respond, this is a rhetorical post.

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:42 pm

[quote="RS4 George"]
eBay is great, my mrs got me a sterling silver key ring for Xmas for my fob, im chuffed to bits with it as well
[/quote]

For clarity, just in case anyone isn't aware, the logo that George bought is the one for the Ariel company that built the motorcycle pre-war. That company went out of business some time ago and that design is probably not protected. The only thing wrong with it is that it should be baby blue not red.

You can buy all sorts of Ariel merchandise relating to the bike company:

Also for clarity, I only ever banned annoying trolls from the forum when it was under my auspices. I will always defend anyone's property from theft, but not by banning them from a forum or throwing lawyers at them. T'wasn't me that done it.
Last edited by Bruce Fielding on Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ariel Atom Owners Club founder, based in Central London