Turbo build journal

Kempo

Re: Turbo build journal

Post by Kempo » Sat Aug 23, 2008 11:48 pm

What HP did you got this time and at what boost?

bolus

Post by bolus » Sat Aug 23, 2008 11:54 pm

Peak was at 309WHP I think at 15lbs, (the boost controller is still off)  But the gain was though the mid section of the pull so overall the curve is a lot better. 

Like Jeff said today, the car is just begging for more boost.  But the "significant others" called us home right as we were going to start cranking it up.  next time :)

DarthChicken

Post by DarthChicken » Sun Aug 24, 2008 12:02 am

Even before we tuned it (just put in the stock maf curve and set the injector sizing so the car would hit A/F at idle and reving in the garage), the car was fast.  Floor it in second gear, and the car just FLYS.  Sure, it spins the tires like no tomorrow, but it's still moving pretty good.  Might want to put some sandbags in in Eric, that might help traction :p

Set the injector size down to about 48lb.. which allowed me to lower the MAF curive down a long ways, so now we're not falling off of the Advance curve anymore (gram/sec is at 1.07 the way we have the MAF curve set... before it was 1.74.  Max is 1.36).  Max MAF voltage as 10.2k hz... so we have another 1k hertz left to play with before we run out.  Considering we put down basically the same HP on a warmer day with a broader power envelope, I'm pretty happy.  We may still run out of MAF, but if we do, we'll jut put on an even bigger pipe!

In about half the time of last time, we got the A/F dialed in so the car is hitting the PE targets, and got to work a bit on advance, removing the dip in power that existed between 4500rpm and 5800rpm.  Before where I was chasing my tail, every pull made the same more power.  Every pull the car ran a little better.  Every pull I was  ;D

BOV still works fine after the MAF sensor.. no issues there at all btw.  So no reason to have the MAF in the boost tubes.

Time to get my car tuned now!

Speedytec

Post by Speedytec » Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:30 am

[quote="bolus"]

I thought, stand alone ECU would be a fun project.  To completely rewire the car and build a custom tune from scratch.   But, in the end it would not give the car any huge advantages from what it has now.  but a twin charge would be a interesting challenge with a lot of potential benefits in the end. 

So far I'm thinking that I can keep everything on the turbo the same, then put in a Harrop supercharger and original intake manifold and then run a similar water to air intercooler for the supercharger.  I'd either put that intercooler behind the turbo intercooler in the scoop, or run one out to the side with a scoop like the atom 500.  Everything already almost lines up.  So a cooling solution for the supercharger would be the main thing

The main benefit to twin charging is I could run 20 lbs of boost from 2000 RPM all the way up.  Then I could put in a larger turbo because I would not have to worry about turbo lag.  AND I could get the whine back.   
[/quote]

I don't think you need the Harrop VTS for twincharging, as you will only use the SC for the low end and then bypass it to let the turbo boost in. The Harrop alone will make more air/power than the M62, but at that point you already switched it off. More money, more weight, no gains...
Look at the twin charge results from ZZP. (And ZZP also say the Harrop makes no sense for twin charging.)

Better spend your money in a good SC manifold when doing this. At higher flows/power this will become a bottleneck!

bolus

Post by bolus » Mon Aug 25, 2008 4:18 pm

yeah, I'm reconsidering the twin charge idea seeing how much power the SC is robbing on darths car compared to mine.  40hp to spin that thing up seems ridiculous.

I'll just need to figure out some other sort of winter project for the car.  (like making it 4 wheel drive)

DarthChicken

Post by DarthChicken » Mon Aug 25, 2008 4:39 pm

I don't think Jeff was looking at that right Bolus.  I had more power than your car up to 4000rpm, then your car blew past mine.  Just because your car is faster past 4000rpm doesn't mean it takes 40hp to turn the supercharger.... I was already topped out in torque by then, thats all.

bolus

Post by bolus » Mon Aug 25, 2008 4:47 pm

was that at peak boost then?  Either way, it sounds like a bigger project than I probably will want to do. 

DarthChicken

Post by DarthChicken » Mon Aug 25, 2008 5:49 pm

Yeah, on the dyno, in 3rd gear, with just the wastegate controlling boost, you were hitting full boost at 4000rpm.  I just checked the log.. its right in that area.

bolus

Post by bolus » Mon Aug 25, 2008 5:51 pm

oh yeah, I think I want to pass on any more full throttle 2nd gear pulls on the street while holding a laptop and trying to see the knock sensor reading especially with the back end all over the place.  lol  :D 

Speedytec

Post by Speedytec » Mon Aug 25, 2008 5:55 pm

[quote="bolus"]
yeah, I'm reconsidering the twin charge idea seeing how much power the SC is robbing on darths car compared to mine.  40hp to spin that thing up seems ridiculous.

I'll just need to figure out some other sort of winter project for the car.  (like making it 4 wheel drive)
[/quote]

When the SC is bypassed for the turbo it will not take much HP to spin...

4wd Atom sounds like an easy winter project.  ;D

Lane

Post by Lane » Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:03 pm

[quote="Speedytec"]
4wd Atom sounds like an easy winter project.  ;D
[/quote]

Ooh, now we're talkin.  :pop:
Image 300hp Ecotec Atom that is driven.  Visit my website.

Kempo

Post by Kempo » Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:19 am

My turbo build is almost done. Only a few details remain to be done.
Attachments
turbo atom 2.jpg
turbo atom 2.jpg (49.75 KiB) Viewed 833 times
turbo atom1.jpg
turbo atom1.jpg (52.86 KiB) Viewed 846 times
Last edited by Kempo on Thu Sep 11, 2008 3:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kempo

Post by Kempo » Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:21 am

A few more. The boost controller under the dash.
Attachments
turbo atom 4.jpg
turbo atom 4.jpg (40.69 KiB) Viewed 842 times
turbo atom 3.jpg
turbo atom 3.jpg (48.45 KiB) Viewed 844 times
Last edited by Kempo on Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kempo

Post by Kempo » Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:27 am

Attachments
turbo atom 6.jpg
turbo atom 6.jpg (40.38 KiB) Viewed 839 times
turbo atom 5.jpg
turbo atom 5.jpg (34.29 KiB) Viewed 841 times

Kempo

Post by Kempo » Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:29 am

The port fueler module.