Turbo build journal

bolus

Turbo build journal

Post by bolus » Mon Dec 03, 2007 5:45 am

nnn
Last edited by bolus on Sat Aug 29, 2009 5:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

wisp

Re: Turbo build journal

Post by wisp » Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:12 am

[quote="bolus"]
First of all, I got a new set of BRG panels in case the intake has to be cut to fit the turbo. 
[/quote]

That's not BRG. This is car is BRG....  :laugh: -> click here

[quote="bolus"]
I thought I would start a thread to keep track of my engine build and turbo installation.
[/quote]

And if it's up to your usual standard it will be excellent. Can we move it to the general technical section for all readers future benifit? Pleeease  ;D

wisp

Post by wisp » Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:30 pm

Have you selected a turbo unit yet? Any pictures?

bolus

Post by bolus » Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:49 pm

The sun is out now but yesterday was crazy rain. 

I have not picked out the turbo yet.  I'm going to leave that to the person who designs my exhaust.  I was this close || to ordering engine internals but after speaking with my engine builder I'm going to wait for them to tear down the engine to decide on parts.  I hope to have the engine out this weekend. 

I got my engine lift yesterday and was working on assembling it last night with non-existing directions.  It is now officially the biggest tool I have,  I had to demote the thor's torque wrench to second place. 

After buying some tools I'll get the axles off tonight and have some more pics. 

I have all the parts laid out on a big tarp in my living room.  (obviously, I'm not married otherwise I'd be dead now).

Probably going to keep my header, chop it off at the 3" diameter mark, sand blast the now ruined ceramic coating and have it re-coated. 

MadMaxedAtom

Post by MadMaxedAtom » Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:03 pm

:pop: best thread going... :pop:  (wish I lived closer... :tu:)

bolus

Post by bolus » Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:06 am

I just need a 5/8" hex to get the top bolt off the upright to get the shafts off.  I need a spark plug socket (I was sure I had one but cant find it) and a couple of other things.  Always need a reason to buy more tools  :tu:

bolus

Post by bolus » Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:51 am

ooh, thanks,  I must have read that wrong somewhere. 

I should buy a whole new hex set just in case  ;)

Oh, I need some safety wire and safety wire pliers too

FourFather

Post by FourFather » Wed Dec 05, 2007 3:07 am

Thank you for this thread!! :tu:

Eddie ;D

bolus

Post by bolus » Wed Dec 05, 2007 5:39 am

Some more work today.

I got the axles out of each upright.  This tiny little nut holds on the wheel (my poor rusty rotors :( )

Unscrew the top bolt on the upright and it rotates outward allowing the axle to be pried out

I'm stuck getting the axle out of the transmission though.  Anyone have any tricks to get the circlip (or what ever it is called) to release the axle?

I got the coils and catch can off as well.  Does not seem that there is much left to do

Last edited by bolus on Wed Dec 05, 2007 5:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

MadMaxedAtom

Post by MadMaxedAtom » Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:58 am

Bolus,the axles will "pop" out of the transaxle if you pry on them right at the seal area (don't damage the seal) They also make a slide hammer attachment that goes behind the inboard CV joint for easy removal,but it's not really necessary.  You may have to rotate the axle while prying as sometimes they can be....difficult. :tu:

Terry Kennedy

Post by Terry Kennedy » Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:36 am

[quote="Spanky"]
The rear axle nuts are interference thread type, with the last two threads deformed for a tighter hold onto the stud. You may want to replace them as cheap insurance. Put nut back on with anti-sieze paste on the stud. [/quote]

That's good to know. Do you have a part number / source for these (preferably NAPA or similar)? How about the fronts?

Back when Tom was still at Brammo, I talked to him about the backing-off problem a few owners experienced and asked him what he thought of a castle nut + cotter pin solution. He said that he'd use red Loctite on it and didn't think there would be a problem breaking through it when it came time to remove the nuts for service.

I'm interested as I'll have these off for some brake work I'm doing over the winter.

MadMaxedAtom

Post by MadMaxedAtom » Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:31 pm

The frt.axle nut from a 1990 Ford Taurus is the same as the Atoms rears.I double nutted mine and there has been no problems. Fronts on the Atom should never be an issue as there is no torque being transmitted through the "dummy" shaft.

Red Loctite SUCKS to get off.... :-[

bolus

Post by bolus » Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:48 pm

Thanks for the input guys.  Part of the reason to do this project was to learn more about engines.  Amazing how much you learn just taking one a part.

The axle is stuck in there good.  I put my full weight on a 2 foot pry bar and cant pop it out. 

MadMaxedAtom

Post by MadMaxedAtom » Wed Dec 05, 2007 5:43 pm

While you pry,have someone rotate the axle and pry at various locations.Some times it takes the 4' pry bar... >:(

bolus

Post by bolus » Wed Dec 05, 2007 6:33 pm

Turns out I am just a big wuss!  And I forgot all my concepts of leverage too!

The infernals circlips!!

If anyone has the same trouble as I did, here is how I ended up doing it.  I used a 3' pry bar, and leveraged it against the transmission above the axle.  I wrapped the end in a towel to minimize scratching.  the axle is removed here but here is where I put the pry bar:

Water tank removed today as well.