Correct Setup Procedure for US Atoms.

MadMaxedAtom

Re: Correct Setup Procedure for US Atoms.

Post by MadMaxedAtom » Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:06 pm

You are correct in turning the adjusting screw to increase/decrease camber.It has LH and RH threads on it,so it increases or decreases the distance between the spindle and the wishbone.

The best (and only place in my opinion) to measure alignment is at the rim edge.

Don't forget,the further away from the center axle line you are,the greater the actual  toe or camber settings will be. If you measure off the hub,you will have to figure out the correction factor. :tu:

rfmarz@frontiernet

Post by rfmarz@frontiernet » Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:11 pm

It sure would be nice if we had a maintenance manual. ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

1965Cobra427

Post by 1965Cobra427 » Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:05 am

Turning the adjustment sleeves on the upper control arms is the correct way to adjust camber. A similar arrangement adjusts rear toe as well. Adjustments are very fine. I usually turn the sleeve one or two "flats" of the hex, then measure. With enough practice, I'm pretty well able to do these adjustments with standard 15/16" and 1" open-end wrenches, but the rear toe requires removing the wheel/tire.

The early UK cars do not have adjustment sleeves, and require the heim joint to be unbolted from the upright and turned in 180 degree increments. Iâ??m not sure about the Atom 3.

I use Longacre camber gage and toe plates.

Longacre bubble camber gage.

Longacre toe plates

I initially tried using a digital camber gage similar to this, but found that the wheel rims on the TD and Dymag wheels had so much taper, I could not get consistent results.

The TD, Dymag and SSR wheels I have all have a nice flat center hub area which accepts the magnetic gage nicely. Of course, the magnet is of no particular use, since the wheels are non-ferrous alloy.

MadMaxedAtom

Post by MadMaxedAtom » Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:34 am

Do you use a tape measure along with those toe plates?

dingo

Post by dingo » Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:07 am

Thanks all.
Headed back to the garage for some more tinkering.
Well, less tinkering actually.
I'm putting it back to where I started (good to keep a log book, and I do)
then readjust less than before.

1965Cobra427

Post by 1965Cobra427 » Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:07 pm

[quote="MadMaxedAtom"]
Do you use a tape measure along with those toe plates?
[/quote]

Yes, they come with 2 matched tapes, so you don't have to fuss around with just one.