Smaller s\c pulley and right sized belt

maverick1

Re: Smaller s\c pulley and right sized belt

Post by maverick1 » Tue Nov 13, 2007 3:12 am

[quote="CalScot"]
[quote="dingo"]
Alignment appears to be OK. 
The belt is running at the outer edge of all pulleys and the inside of each pulley, not covered by belt is showing
by the same amount. 
[/quote]

Dingo, your in luck. Must be the clean living :angel:

[quote="maverick1"]
Dingo, since you have the Honda Atom why not just pick up a Rotrex kit and be done with it. With that kit you can have anywhere between 350-500hp and have the cool sound of a jet turbine.
If I had known what I know now, I would have opted for the Honda Atom.
Live and learn.
Cheersâ?¢
[/quote]

Mav,
I love my car but the whole mega power thing is a double edged sword. For example, I would not drive my car across country like you did unless I could line up high octane gas along the way (100 typically). If I run too lean, it's BOOM, and that line is very fine. My car is not as reliable as yours because it's on the edge! That extra adrenalin rush comes at a price which is more than just the $$$'s.
I think there is a lot to be said for more conventional NA engine upgrades in conjunction with moderate boost as opposed to just mega boost, which can be like grabbing a tiger by the tail in a never ending spiral of modifications.
I am trying to mitigate the reliability issue by the current round of upgrades it's now getting. Maybe I will be succesfull in getting mines tame enough to satisfy all of it. Maybe I will eventually end up with two Atoms. The current beast for the track and a new 300 for trips to the grocery store.  Only time will tell.

[/quote]
I hear you Cal but as you said in another post, with your setup you don't have to go all out and opt for 450+hp. You could easily use a different pulley or setup and get 350 reliable HP and if you have a need for speed switch to a different one and up it to 400hp. And if that does not satisfy your need for speed you change some internals and add boost & a different tune for more HP. I like the fact that it's fairly easily upgradeable(this is subjective)....same exhaust and aftercooler etc.
I find it quite amazing that your engine has held up so far with those boost levels, and it was thrashed a lot at Atomfest.
Cheersâ?¢

benyeats

Post by benyeats » Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:09 am

Has anyone invented a gearbox for superchargers that enables the level of boost to be varied, i.e. perform the equivalent of a pulley swap but without actually changing the pulleys ?

Ben

Monza

Post by Monza » Tue Nov 13, 2007 11:48 am

with a special dump valve pehaps ?

Dingo : you can increase the pressure a little bit +5 or 10% about with no problem if you do a re-mapping. You can win about 20 (engine) Hp.
It's not a good thing to go higher than that because, first of all, we have no air cooler on the SC Honda... and reliability will be very reduce. But ii's not what you are planning to do, so no problem. ;)
Jean-Pascal
Atom 3.5 310 Honda LHD