using a different aftercooler

silver

using a different aftercooler

Post by silver » Sun Nov 11, 2007 5:12 pm

I'm starting a new thread just because this topic is being discussed in 2 or 3 topics as I type this.

I had a thought, I have the individual seats, and there's room behind the seats, between them or on one side, isn't there?  I haven't seen my car in a while, can one of you guys that have the individual seats, take a look and see if an intercooler would fit, then can someone comment if that's a good or bad place for one in the first place, I'm not sure how much air would get to it, but it would seem that you could get a bigger one back there then what's in the front, or possible one on each side.

3Rotor

Re: using a different aftercooler

Post by 3Rotor » Sun Nov 11, 2007 5:50 pm

I don't think you will have a lot of air flowing there. and the plumbing involved will be problematic at best. As I mentioned b4,  looks to me like the best that can be made of this less than stellar configuration, is to ether move the existing one up flush with the radiator, or to add one, in front of the radiator. This might very well be completely out of the question  for some other reason I'm not aware of...  ;)

MadMaxedAtom

Post by MadMaxedAtom » Sun Nov 11, 2007 5:56 pm

...or eliminate the heat in the first place. ;D  Th Eaton S/C is only efficient up to a point,and then it just becomes a hot air generator.

Either a twin screw or turbo will be needed for more boost without turning your entire car into a giant heat exchanger. ;)

3Rotor

Post by 3Rotor » Sun Nov 11, 2007 6:25 pm

but the heat being generated,  is it not because of the compression of the air then.  I for one, won't even consider  0.5bar's boost on a turbo installation, without intercoolers, and to be honest, doing a turbo for less than 0.5bar is not my idea of something worth the effort...  8)

MadMaxedAtom

Post by MadMaxedAtom » Sun Nov 11, 2007 8:02 pm

All compressors are not created equal.You are not really looking for pressure,but volume.
A twin screw supercharger is more efficient in moving the same volume of air as a roots style blower.
A turbo is even more efficient than either supercharger.Yes,you do need to use an intercooler for a turbo,but you are not trying to remove as much heat with the same volume of air being handled,as a supercharger,especially a roots design.

maverick1

Post by maverick1 » Sun Nov 11, 2007 11:36 pm

I think locating the aftercooler in the air box is the best location. Gets lots of air flow when the car is moving.
cheers
Attachments
intercooler.jpg
intercooler.jpg (88.51 KiB) Viewed 338 times

MadMaxedAtom

Post by MadMaxedAtom » Mon Nov 12, 2007 12:59 am

^Interesting! Not much room in there though...

DarthChicken

Post by DarthChicken » Mon Nov 12, 2007 2:23 am

There is if you take the intake out of there and run it down by the throttle body where it doesn't pick up every raindrop and particle of dust  ;)

Putting the aftercooler higher than it already is though.. that means you have to put a cap on it to fill it.  Which is no big deal, and probably a project I'd do, but my intake temps drop during a pull with water injection, so I really don't see the point  ;D

silver

Post by silver » Mon Nov 12, 2007 2:25 am

Darth how much water did you use today during the dyno sessions?

DarthChicken

Post by DarthChicken » Mon Nov 12, 2007 2:27 am

barely any.... only like 2 miles on the dyno though.  What is more realistic, is that every session at atomfest, I was using between 40 and 48oz of water. 

bolus

Post by bolus » Mon Nov 12, 2007 2:28 am

I'd use 1.5 quarts per session at atomfest (when it was working - the same electrical problem the dash used to have was turning off the water injection kit) and none driving from Portland to Oklahoma

silver

Post by silver » Mon Nov 12, 2007 2:29 am

So the big question is, why bother trying to get the aftercooler to be repositioned, or to use a bigger better one, when water injection is available at a lower cost and probably less work than trying to get a new aftercooler to work.

Yes, you'll have to put more water in, but, water's practically free, for that small inconvienence, is it better to just do that and not bother with changing anything about the aftercooler.

***edit***  Bolus, did you go get a single pull double throw relay yet, or did you figure out a different fix for the problem?

DarthChicken

Post by DarthChicken » Mon Nov 12, 2007 2:32 am

Good question, and the answer is....

Nozzles clog, pumps fail, fuses blow, etc....  You tune the car up using it, be prepared for the consequences if anything goes wrong.  And things DO go wrong sometimes. 

bolus

Post by bolus » Mon Nov 12, 2007 2:34 am

But if it just has water (and not methanol) then it is still pretty safe since the ECU pulls timing for hot AIT2's

I wired directly to the battery.  That double throw relay doohickey is too confusing for me :(

silver

Post by silver » Mon Nov 12, 2007 2:35 am

so you're specifically tuning for the AI temps your getting with the water injection?  I'm confused a little, I figured you'd just tune it, and the water injection would keep the AI temps from heatsoaking the engine but not necessarily be an integral part of the tuning?

spdt relays are probably the most confusing piece I don't blame you for skipping it. haha ;D