Need Help, New Exhaust Systems Being Developed!

silver

Re: Need Help, New Exhaust Systems Being Developed!

Post by silver » Sat Mar 29, 2008 12:43 am

[quote="maverick1"]
After seeing CalScot's "work of art"  exhaust, I am hoping Hytech will come up with a second option for Ecotec owners, an exhaust where the pipes don't have to stick outside the frame, with a cleaner look.
Cheersâ?¢
[/quote]

yeah but then it wouldn't be "custom" haha

Mav, just to explain the reasoning behind it, the original header was a log jam of heat due to the immediate 90 degree bends in it.  The new header goes straight out and down, in order to do the job it's intended to do.  Now because it goes straight down, there is no more room at the bottom to physically make a 3" pipe turn back up towards the top.  If you use a system with less than 3" pipe, you might as well stick with the stock system.  Without seeing it up close It never made much sense to me why it had to go outside but now it does.

Mr.Woolery

Post by Mr.Woolery » Sat Mar 29, 2008 2:29 am

[quote="maverick1"]
After seeing CalScot's "work of art"  exhaust, I am hoping Hytech will come up with a second option for Ecotec owners, an exhaust where the pipes don't have to stick outside the frame, with a cleaner look.
Cheersâ?¢
[/quote]
...and still allow for a rollbar?

Terry Kennedy

Post by Terry Kennedy » Sat Mar 29, 2008 2:38 am

[quote="maverick1"]
[/quote]

Seconded. Outside-the-frame is a deal-breaker for me.

Lane

Post by Lane » Sat Mar 29, 2008 4:19 am

[quote="maverick1"]
Cheersâ?¢
[/quote]

I also prefer the 'inside the frame' look.

If a shop feels it is too difficult to run a 3" through there, here's an idea - why not fab a header that sends 2 cyls to each collector and use 2 collectors, and run 2 slightly smaller pipes to the muffler inlet.  I believe I've seen mufflers with 2 inlets...
Image 300hp Ecotec Atom that is driven.  Visit my website.

dingo

Post by dingo » Sat Mar 29, 2008 4:50 am

Silver, this is my muffler

http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/shop ... in&id=7005

and from that link, something about the internal construction

They feature a free-flowing, straight-through perforated stainless steel core, stainless mesh wrap and acoustical fiber fill to deliver that smooth, deep tone. Mufflers are packed tight with this acoustical material unlike some others' products to ensure long life and no sound degradation over time. Backed by a Lifetime Warranty. To learn more about how Magnaflow's mufflers deliver the most in power and performance click HERE.

(I did not write that, it's their marketing dept.)

FORTRESS PERFORMANCE

Post by FORTRESS PERFORMANCE » Sat Mar 29, 2008 4:58 am

The roll bars bolt in place inches from the exhaust. it fits with more clearance than stock with the wing in the back.  If you guy's have any questions fill free to email me at raybladyn@fortressperformance.com Thanks ray :)

FORTRESS PERFORMANCE

Post by FORTRESS PERFORMANCE » Sat Mar 29, 2008 5:30 am

I would also like to thank everyone for their commits and opinion's(pro and con). I set off to build this system for the sole purpose of helping all ecotec atom owners rid themselves of the factory imperfections. I know there is no way to please everyone, But much R & D was done to produce a cost effective, easy to install/remove exhaust system that had a good sound ,good appearance,and  would take the EGT"s the Atom cranks out. Remember the Atom is also a race car so quickly accessible parts that can be easily removed and reinstalled in a pit situation could be the difference between racing on race day or being a spectator. I work feverishly Atom Fest keeping 17 out of the 29 cars on the track most of them with exhaust failures. That experience is what drove me to develop this exhaust system.

as for keeping it inside the frame i tried that with a dual primary design that feed in mufflers but had to hand fab the merg collectors since no one makes them from 2 1.75 in to 2.5" made the exhaust extremely loud and not cheap and even more difficult to duplicate without having a car. it flowed well but did not have the advantage of primary port equalizasion as you would have in a 4 to one collector . I have built exhaust from the head out from pocket bikes to a 8 inch mandrel system for a 2,300 hp diesel truck. Anything can be done as long has you have enough money, time and skill.  Give me some time to get my first few coated systems back and i will have better pictures , also i will open a new tread soon on the for sale side. Thanks you all for the opportunity to help the Atom experience. Ray

Gage

Post by Gage » Sat Mar 29, 2008 6:23 pm

[quote="FORTRESS PERFORMANCE"]
But much R & D was done to produce a cost effective, easy to install/remove exhaust system that had a good sound ,good appearance, and  would take the EGT"s the Atom cranks out. Remember the Atom is also a race car so quickly accessible parts that can be easily removed and reinstalled in a pit situation could be the difference between racing on race day or being a spectator. [/quote]

Ray,  I could not agree more with the design goals you approached the creation of this exhaust system with.

I will sacrifice cosmetic appearances for performance or ease of accessing key components every time.  There are more than a few people I have read of and met who strongly dislike the appearance of the exoskeleton based Atom without body work.  They think it is ugly, regardless of the performance advantages that the exoskeleton chassis offers.

It is similar with this exhaust system.  I see only obvious advantages to it's construction.  I could write a few paragraphs on those.  But why bother.   Some will like it, some won't, based on cosmetics.  We are fickle.   Based on exhaust system construction theory and principles of operation, it rocks.  I would love to see back to back comparison geared dyno tests (with the insertion of cool down time for the easily heat soaked Atom) of three or four of the best custom Atom exhaust systems out right now.           

But to summarize my thoughts, I love things that are easy to get to, easy to take apart, and offer maximum performance with minimal cosmetic sacrifice.  I think your exhaust system does all that.   

Now when can we test it against a custom "frame trapped exhaust system"?  ;D   I would still take the frame trapped system if it makes more power.   :laugh:   I would just hate working on it.  Your's looks SO MUCH easier to get off and out. 
Last edited by Gage on Sun Mar 30, 2008 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

silver

Post by silver » Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:14 pm

WOW this exhaust is just awesome.....I'm back after a LOOOOONNNNGG day of video taping, and hopefully tomorrow I'll get the vid's posted.

Most spectators say it sounds like a V8.

And we had a friendly little drag race between an 04 Viper, 03 Cobra Mustang (500hp) and me...............................................I won ;D  and we got it on video which will be posted too

It's not my camera so I have to wait until tomorrow so the owner can get everything transfered.

Terry Kennedy

Post by Terry Kennedy » Sun Mar 30, 2008 3:26 am

[quote="FORTRESS PERFORMANCE"]
I would also like to thank everyone for their commits and opinion's(pro and con). I set off to build this system for the sole purpose of helping all ecotec atom owners rid themselves of the factory imperfections. I know there is no way to please everyone, But much R & D was done to produce a cost effective, easy to install/remove exhaust system that had a good sound ,good appearance,and  would take the EGT"s the Atom cranks out. Remember the Atom is also a race car so quickly accessible parts that can be easily removed and reinstalled in a pit situation could be the difference between racing on race day or being a spectator. I work feverishly Atom Fest keeping 17 out of the 29 cars on the track most of them with exhaust failures. That experience is what drove me to develop this exhaust system.[/quote]

Don't get me wrong - I have a great appreciation for the work you've done, both at AtomFest and on the new exhaust.

Unfortunately, I live in a part of the country where the Atom has been ruled illegal, and thus I need to keep a lower profile than most. I also travel through more states more frequently than any other Atom owner (as far as I know). Thus, I get a lot of "Is that thing legal?" questions from police officers, toll plaza workers, etc. So far, I've been able to say "It's got plates" and satisfy them. Plus, I've experienced truckers chatting to each other on the radio saying "What the heck was that? A race car?" and had the police hear it and come out to see what I'm driving. So far I have only been pulled over once, and that was when I had temporary plates and the officer couldn't figure out what kind of car it was to radio it in.

To give you an idea of what things are like in this part of the country, here's a message from one of the other boards I'm on. This guy has a BMW 3-series and got pulled over for bumper height enforcement. Most officers seem to be unaware of reciprocity (if it's legal in the state it is registered in, it is legal in the other 49). Unfortunately, exhaust systems are one exception - you can get pulled over for loud muffler, visible smoke, etc. outside of your home state. Hence my concern about the protrusion of this new exhaust.

[quote="Another forum"]I need some help. Today I got cited in VA for being in violation of 46.2-1063 that my altered suspension put my bumper height below 14". Now, my car, E46 M3 does have a TC Kine suspension, that was set at 3/4" lower than stock.

The officer measured from the ground to the lower edge of the spoiler lip, and wrote on the itcket that my bumper height was 5". Rear, the ticket states 9 - 10".

1) Does this even apply as the car is not registered, titled, or based in VA. I thought that if the vehicle was legal in the state it was registered and titled, it was legal. This may be Federal, to stop states from making laws that all cars much have a blue light in the middle of the hood, and cited everyone from out of state who drives into the state. If so, could you please provide the statute reference.

2) 46.2-1063 states, "No person shall drive on a public highway any motor vehicle registered as a passenger motor vehicle if it has been modified by alteration of its altitude from the ground to the extent that its bumpers, measured to any point on the lower edge of the main horizontal bumper bar, exclusive of any bumper guards, are not within the range of fourteen inches to twenty-two inches above the ground." The lower edge of the bumper BAR cannot be measured on any modern car without removing the front facia, as you can't see the bumper bar.

Interestingly, I asked the officer to show me what he measured. Then I asked him to measure his own car (Unmarked Impala) the same way, he refused. I stated that it looked like his car wasn't 14" the way he measured mine. He sadi, "My car is legal, if it wasn't, I couldn't drive it and I couldn't pull you over." Hmm, and quick hand check shows the bottom of his front facia is about 11" I guess it is time to hit the Chevy dealer and measure some cars. And of course, he has a "altered suspension" as his car undoubtably has the police package suspension. [/quote]

rfmarz@frontiernet

Post by rfmarz@frontiernet » Sun Mar 30, 2008 3:50 pm

Terry, I get that "is it road legal" question all the time as well. I've even had three sheriff's deputy's "converge" on my car at a local Video warehouse with hugh grins on their face asking me what it was AND is it street legal AND can they have a ride in it- "we can go as fast as you want 'cause I know the sheriff"- kind of thing. I have admitted that it is (in the state of Florida) as that has totally satisfied them.

I did not know, however, about the "noisy" exhaust. How do they judge that? It is very obvious that the Atoms stock Brammo (blown out) pipe will wake the dead as well as those sleeping in the next state over, but how is a "loud" exhaust quantified, and is there a rule stating that the entire pipe must be located within the confines of the ____? If so then what about motorcycles? This might be a better thing to let sleeping dogs lie. If we start asking legal questions we might not like the answers that we get. Regardless, I like Rays design if it allows our car to breath better and allow it to keep other things from becomming a problem.

silver

Post by silver » Sun Mar 30, 2008 4:12 pm

Honestly it really seems more like personal preference.  Has any atom owner been given a ticket who wasn't speeding......anyone anyone bueller bueller.

Be that as it may, if you're worried about the occasional  :police: pulling you over for a look-see that's kind of contradictory to owning an atom in my opinion.  You drive a ridiculous car and I think it needs a matching exhaust so to speak.  I do think there are many ways to solve the problems that the exhaust caused, some people are going to like this one, some are not, what are you going to do, you can't please everyone.
Last edited by silver on Sun Mar 30, 2008 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bottoz

Post by Bottoz » Sun Mar 30, 2008 7:09 pm

[quote="silver"]
Honestly it really seems more like personal preference.  Has any atom owner been given a ticket who wasn't speeding......anyone anyone bueller bueller.[/quote]

6300 Miles and I never even got pulled over!

Dude... post up those vids!

silver

posting videos of the exhaust now

Post by silver » Sun Mar 30, 2008 7:39 pm

Luckily we were able to make it to Mexico and back safely outside the U.S. in order to shoot these films.

drive by

I'll post more links as they are available, I'm uploading as we speak

header bolt access

passing car by car

3rd gear steady pace

slow pace

high speed pass down and back

hard accelleration

driving next to

again but diff

startup and rev through the rpm range

passing quickly

smoke just for positron

Last edited by silver on Sun Mar 30, 2008 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.