post atomfest work

bolus

Re: post atomfest work

Post by bolus » Thu Nov 29, 2007 4:25 pm

Spanky's rotor:

bolus

Post by bolus » Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:08 pm

Stoptech's carbon ceramic brake system (C^3) costs $14,999  I think I'll have to wait a little longer :( 

I wish I could find out more about how they are made.  They take 3 months to make 1 rotor and they have figured out how to overcome the fact that carbon ceramic brakes wont stop at all unless hot. 

DarthChicken

Post by DarthChicken » Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:45 pm

Built in heaters!  ;D

bolus

Post by bolus » Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:47 pm

I found a quote from a stoptech guy that said he can drive around in the rain with cold rotors and you cant even tell they are carbon.  Over the next few years we should be seeing some cool brake technology coming out. 

FourFather

Post by FourFather » Fri Dec 07, 2007 2:51 am

The carbon fiber disc brakes on my Top Fuel dragster would not even stop the car very well after a burnout-- and then would have a hard time holding the car still on the starting line--while still cold.

I found out I had to apply the brakes a bit DURING the burnout to warm them-- then all was fine.

At the end of a 320 mph run applying the brakes had no noticeable effect for two or three tenths of a second, but then you could literally STOP the rear axle and slide those huge rear slicks--at 300 mph!! I have actually done that (very briefly) on a short-shutdown track when the chutes didn't open. :o Incredible braking power when warm!! And very light weight!

But pricey!! :td:

Eddie ;D

rfmarz@frontiernet

Post by rfmarz@frontiernet » Mon Dec 10, 2007 1:34 am

I think the plain 'ol track brakes give great feel and good stopping power. I know what you REALLY want, bolus..... CF brakes! :laugh:

bolus

Post by bolus » Mon Dec 10, 2007 1:51 am

It would be cool to be breaking hard before a turn and see the rotors start glowing bright red right from the driver's seat.  (then promptly drive off track since I'm staring at the glowing rotors)