Rod end replacements

rfmarz@frontiernet

Re: Rod end replacements

Post by rfmarz@frontiernet » Mon Sep 24, 2007 6:40 pm

Come to think of it, whenever I get into my car, the area by the gas pedal is always slippery. I believe I have a slight leak from a master cylinder above. I'd hate to "torque something down" and break something!

rfmarz@frontiernet

Post by rfmarz@frontiernet » Mon Sep 24, 2007 7:21 pm

Thanks bolus! I have been watching the forum for so long now, I have seen most things but can no longer remember where they were!

maverick1

Post by maverick1 » Mon Sep 24, 2007 7:59 pm

[quote="bolus"]
not too bad.  A leaky shock which was obvious and unlikely to happen to anyone else and old low quality rod ends that only a few of us have.  I did not have any issues with my 300 upgrade

Though I'd recommend you invest in a good torque wrench and check bolts, axle nuts and lug nuts often though. 

By the way, since rod ends are supposed to be replaced intermittently, what is the normal life of a Aurora rod end in our cars?  Do we have the same ones as the UK cars?

[/quote]
I picked up a torque wrench a few weeks ago. Is there anywhere on this site or on the web where the torque ratings for all the nuts and bolts on the Atom?? The car is so minimalist the list should not be too long.
Brammo should e-mail all Atom owners a PDF listing the torque ratings for all the bolts on the car. I don't think the manual lists all the bolts. What are we supposed to do...guess?
cheers

rfmarz@frontiernet

Post by rfmarz@frontiernet » Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:15 pm

Lets "persuade"them to develope a maintenance manual! ;) ;) ;)

bolus

Post by bolus » Mon Sep 24, 2007 11:08 pm

If anyone else needs these order from HRPworld by my link above and then contact Jacob who will provide Brammo store credit.  Brammo doesnt know when they will have them in stock.  I think he said they are only crediting for the rod ends on the pushrods.    My order already shipped from HRPworld.  :tu:

bolus

Post by bolus » Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:15 pm

Found out from Brammo and this info is in the new manual as well.  Rod ends should be replaced every 3000 miles.  Check for problems by trying to wiggle the tires while the car is up on jacks.  If there is any movement in the rod ends then they need to be replaced. 

bolus

Post by bolus » Thu Sep 27, 2007 5:39 am

Replaced the pushrod rod ends tonight.  In my pictures above where you can see the lining pushing outward.  This is definitely an early sign of failure.  When I got them out the lining was basically being extruded out both ends with a split in the middle.  It would have eventually lead to failure like Terry's. 

The best part is that most of my paint lines lined up when i was done.  That was convenient. 

I'll get the rest replaced at atomfest. 

Mr.Woolery

Post by Mr.Woolery » Thu Oct 11, 2007 5:53 pm

I'll need to replace my rod ends (at least the ones on the rear) at Atomfest as well.  Hoping that some will be available there.

bolus

Post by bolus » Thu Oct 11, 2007 6:12 pm

In case it did not get posted elsewhere here are the part numbers for HPRworld:

http://www.hrpworld.com/index.cfm?form_ ... on=product
Pushrods and steering rack: 
AM-6T and AB-6T
Need 4 each for suspension arms, 2 each for steering rack so A total of 6 each

Suspension to wheels
AB-10T
Need 2 each for each rear wheel, 1 each for each front wheel so A total of 6. 

Mr.Woolery

Post by Mr.Woolery » Thu Oct 11, 2007 6:40 pm

Thank you kindly for the part # info, Bolus!  Ordered a set for immediate delivery, should now have them on-hand for installation at Atomfest.  It'll be a nice experience to change these with a lot of friends about.  Mebbe we'll learn us something.  ;)

rfmarz@frontiernet

Post by rfmarz@frontiernet » Thu Oct 11, 2007 6:52 pm

It seems that there is a lot to learn!

GPM30236

Post by GPM30236 » Thu Oct 11, 2007 6:57 pm

[quote="rfmarz"]
It seems that there is a lot to learn!
[/quote]

Very much  so,  but its mostly all fun

Mr.Woolery

Post by Mr.Woolery » Thu Oct 11, 2007 7:14 pm

Nah, not afraid of changing these out.  Just thinking it'd be cool for those who haven't done it before to see it done.

BTW, HRPWorld is out of most of these rod ends!  I had to get the next higher tier of rod ends (but still had to mix & match a bit) to make it this round of rod end replacements.  These rod ends are supposed to last up to three times as long, though they cost significantly more.  For those of you who are interested, here's the uprated part #'s:

AM-6T can be upgraded to PRM-6T
AB-6T can be upgraded to PRB-6T
Need 4 each for suspension arms, 2 each for steering rack so A total of 6 each

AM-10T can be upgraded to PRB-10T
Need 2 each for each rear wheel, 1 each for each front wheel so A total of 6