Rod end replacements

bolus

Rod end replacements

Post by bolus » Sat Sep 22, 2007 2:58 pm

Anyone else get the email from Brammo about rod end replacements?  Sounds like they are going to send me out new upgraded rod ends all around.  I assume this is a result of Terry's car breaking one and damaging the frame. 

patentshark

Re: Rod end replacements

Post by patentshark » Sat Sep 22, 2007 3:30 pm

got the email.  haven't checked the ends in a while...out to the garage.

rfmarz@frontiernet

Post by rfmarz@frontiernet » Sat Sep 22, 2007 4:04 pm

I have not received one either, bolus, as of last night. Actually, I believe that I have the newer upgraded ones.

Terry Kennedy

Post by Terry Kennedy » Sat Sep 22, 2007 9:49 pm

[quote="rfmarz"]
I have not received one either, bolus, as of last night. Actually, I believe that I have the newer upgraded ones.
[/quote]

If your rod ends are silver-colored and have a smooth metal housing, you have the new ones (should be marked AM-#T or AB-#T around the race). If your rod ends are yellowish (technically, zinc chromate) and have a rougher metal housing, you have old ones (marked SPM-# or SPW-# rubber-stamped on the housing), you have the old ones.
Last edited by Terry Kennedy on Sun Sep 23, 2007 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

maverick1

Post by maverick1 » Sun Sep 23, 2007 7:23 pm

Can someone please post a pic of what the rod ends look like, so I can go out and take a look.
Cheersâ?¢

maverick1

Post by maverick1 » Sun Sep 23, 2007 9:06 pm

[quote="bolus"]
http://www.hrpworld.com/index.cfm?form_ ... on=product
[/quote]
Thanks Bolus....I guess I'm good to go. Mine are all the silver colored ones. Plus, Brammo would have contacted me if I needed to replace them. ???
Cheersâ?¢

bolus

Post by bolus » Sun Sep 23, 2007 9:12 pm

On further inspection I think I may have a problem.  Both rear pushrods on the rod end that attaches to the rocker look like their lining is pushing out to the side.  I assume this is not supposed to be this way.  Crap, another thing to take care of before the trip to atomfest
[img width=800 height=600]http://bolus.shackspace.com/atom/rod_ends1.jpg[/img]
[img width=800 height=600]http://bolus.shackspace.com/atom/rod_ends2.jpg[/img]

bolus

Post by bolus » Sun Sep 23, 2007 9:14 pm

Another question, can the pushrod rod ends be changed without an alignment?

dingo

Post by dingo » Sun Sep 23, 2007 9:51 pm

Replacement of pushrod rod ends does not dictate that you do need a realignment.

As long as you measure overall length and when you replace with the stronger rod ends, ensure same assembled length.

If you get it "wrong" you'll either ride a bit higher or lower. 
No appreciable alignment change in camber \ toe.

However, I believe you also need to change this edition of rod end at outboard of wishbones.
If that's the case, then yes realignment is called for.

bolus

Post by bolus » Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:12 pm

Thanks, since Randy may have Aurora rod ends at Atomfest and potentially a way to change them and do alignments I think I'll just replace the ones on the pushrod now and then do the rest at Atomfest. 

1965Cobra427

Post by 1965Cobra427 » Mon Sep 24, 2007 1:49 am

The Hallett race shop will be available to perform rod end replacements and alignment/ride height/corner weighting. They have all the equipment and staff to do it. My past experience is that they have friendly pricing too. Bring your own parts or ask Brammo to bring or ship them to AtomFest.  :tu:

Bright (silver) appearance is typical on new rod ends. This is the front upper push rod location. The most critical R/E's are the rear upper and lower push rod ends.
[img width=800 height=600]http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h269/ ... G_0114.jpg[/img]

bolus

Post by bolus » Mon Sep 24, 2007 6:16 pm

Ordered from HPRworld since Brammo did not have any in stock.  They nicely offered store credit for me.

rfmarz@frontiernet

Post by rfmarz@frontiernet » Mon Sep 24, 2007 6:23 pm

bolus, you are finding many things to work on before Atomfest :o. It makes me wonder if I'm missing a lot of things on my Atom!

bolus

Post by bolus » Mon Sep 24, 2007 6:29 pm

not too bad.  A leaky shock which was obvious and unlikely to happen to anyone else and old low quality rod ends that only a few of us have.  I did not have any issues with my 300 upgrade

Though I'd recommend you invest in a good torque wrench and check bolts, axle nuts and lug nuts often though. 

By the way, since rod ends are supposed to be replaced intermittently, what is the normal life of a Aurora rod end in our cars?  Do we have the same ones as the UK cars?