Wheel bearing replacement

arielatom600

Re: Wheel bearing replacement

Post by arielatom600 » Mon Dec 08, 2008 5:06 pm

I believe UK pattern is 4x96,25 or something like that, at least an odd number...

Andreas

bolus

Post by bolus » Mon Dec 08, 2008 5:09 pm

This is all so confusing.  If I ever need to have a wheel bearing replaced I think I'll just buy a new car instead :)

Heywood-Yablowme

Post by Heywood-Yablowme » Mon Dec 08, 2008 5:32 pm

Now that we know Brammo used a 1985 Honda Accord front wheel bearing/hub, it's easy-peasy japaneesy! If the back is the same setup,it's a piece of cake! 

wisp

Post by wisp » Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:19 pm

[quote="arielatom600"]
I believe UK pattern is 4x96,25 or something like that, at least an odd number...

Andreas

[/quote]

Almost correct.

The UK Atoms have British Leyland (MG) Wheel hubs with 4 hole , PCD (Pitch Circle Diameter) at 95.25 mm.

The wheel bearings are Timken JRM3938A 9FUA2 (Made in France). The are available in kits, for Rover/MG cars, complete with retaining clips and lock nut from SKF Bearings. The kit part number is VKBA 1452.

dingo

Post by dingo » Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:10 pm

Well, on second attempt at this, I got a set of Beck Arney 051-3863 (front bearings) and contrary to earlier posts on this they're most assuredly not sealed.

Sorry if this sounds cross, but...

Jeezus ! I spoke to a Customer Service person at Beck Arnley who did not even know what I meant when I explained this was an open design, not sealed. 
She thought I wanted a new one, in a bag.  M i s e r y !

If someone could show a link to a suitable sealed front bearing, I'd really appreciate it.

This

http://autoparts.cardomain.com/auto-par ... el-bearing

is my best shot, so I've ordered a couple and we shall see.
Last edited by dingo on Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Terry Kennedy

Post by Terry Kennedy » Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:21 am

[quote="dingo"]
I spoke to a Customer Service person at Beck Arnley who did not even know what I meant when I explained this was an open design, not sealed. 
She thought I wanted a new one, in a bag.  M i s e r y ![/quote]

Here's a tip for anyone looking to get technical information out of a parts manufacturer. Don't talk to customer service. Tell them you need to talk to an application engineer. That's always worked for me.

maverick1

Post by maverick1 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:53 pm

[quote="dingo"]
Well, on second attempt at this, I got a set of Beck Arney 051-3863 (front bearings) and contrary to earlier posts on this they're most assuredly not sealed.

Sorry if this sounds cross, but...

Jeezus ! I spoke to a Customer Service person at Beck Arnley who did not even know what I meant when I explained this was an open design, not sealed. 
She thought I wanted a new one, in a bag.  M i s e r y !

If someone could show a link to a suitable sealed front bearing, I'd really appreciate it.

This

http://autoparts.cardomain.com/auto-par ... el-bearing

is my best shot, so I've ordered a couple and we shall see.
[/quote]
Please let us know if they work out.
I checked for an 85 Honda Accord and found this.
http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/1985/h ... aring.html
cheers

dingo

Post by dingo » Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:51 pm

I've not received the new ones yet, as there was a hitch with Paypal.  So far, it does appear that the FAG brand is a sealed bearing. Will post when I find out.

dingo

Post by dingo » Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:58 am

The NSK brand front bearings arrived.

I am now the proud owner of four bearings suitable for front hub of an Atom.

They're not of the sealed type.

1965Cobra427

Post by 1965Cobra427 » Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:10 am

Having had my hubs/bearings/uprights apart a few times, I sketched this out a few days ago. It is not to scale and really more of a schematic than mechanical drawing, but might help some of you guys who will replace bearings, spacers, hubs or uprights in the future.

The photos might help too

Last edited by 1965Cobra427 on Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Heywood-Yablowme

Post by Heywood-Yablowme » Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:13 am

Excellent job on the drawing Randy,however it is a tad inaccurate, in the omission of a dividing line on the inner race.The inner race is actually two separate races and they do not touch in the center.The torque on the axle nut is what loads those inner races against the roller bearings and then the outer race,or bearing housing.This is why the bearing fails when the axle nut torque is reduced,as the rollers no longer ride true in their races. Not trying to be a smarty pants,just like to get mechanics right,as it is an exact science. ;D  Now that we know the spacers are crap,this explains the bearing failures.
Last edited by Heywood-Yablowme on Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Heywood-Yablowme

Post by Heywood-Yablowme » Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:49 pm

Depressing news about the front spacers. >:(  Sometimes I wonder how Brammo did so much good,and so much bad at the same time ???

If you buy a high quality replacement bearing,it comes pregreased. All you need to do is install it properly. ;)

dingo

Post by dingo » Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:01 pm

Now I have quite a population of these bearings, I can see that some are well lubed, others no so well.
So I'm getting high temp bearing grease (as posted earlier in this thread) and take some time to squeeze \ push it in with a finger if needs be.
The NSK brand version half sealed as per the last photo in Randy's set of pics above.. 

Thanks Randy for the diagram and photos.  They help.

So?  Any suggestions on the appropriate press?  I can probably buy one for a little more than the local shop would charge to remove and install.
I have NO idea, are we talking 3 ton press, or 30?
Last edited by dingo on Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dingo

Post by dingo » Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:42 pm

Crap.  I'm buying a Mini.  No seriously, 2 ton, 5 ton 12 ton hydraulic press size?  Anyone?
Last edited by dingo on Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Heywood-Yablowme

Post by Heywood-Yablowme » Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:00 pm

In theory,a 5 ton press sholuld suffice. However,in the real world,15 is better.

Any more,and you start bending important things. Heat is your friend,for disassembly  ;D    (I have a 50 ton press.. :o)

If you use syntheitc wheel bearing grease,you should be OK in adding a bit more grease to your new bearings.Just don't stuff them too full.It will only migrate out and make a mess. :P