Wheel bearing replacement

dingo

Re: Wheel bearing replacement

Post by dingo » Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:08 pm

Thanks MMA \ FTW.  I'll go for fateful one more drive, then hike it up for bearing replacement.

Other can tell me if front \ rear bearings are in fact the same?

It appears to be the case from earlier postings, but I just would prefer to be certain.
Terry?  You there? 

I figured this much out.  I'll buy two bearings and seals and replace fronts, left and right.
I appreciate your input FTW. Feared that was the case.

Terry Kennedy

Post by Terry Kennedy » Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:13 pm

[quote="dingo"]
Other can tell me if front \ rear bearings are in fact the same?

It appears to be the case from earlier postings, but I just would prefer to be certain.
Terry?  You there? 
[/quote]

I don't know about the front ones. I've only done the rears. But I bet Randy knows...

dingo

Post by dingo » Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:48 am

I bought two bearings (in stock at my local NAPA store) for the front as well as ordered two - NOS18727 Front Wheel outer seals. 
They'll be in stock tomorrow.

So?  I'm confused. 

Does one install the NOS18727 (marked as "outer") on the inside?
Does one use two outer wheel seals per corner?
Is the inner seal the same in this application as the outer seal?

I could wait to find the answers to these questions until I disassemble, but I'd rather know now, so I will be sure to
have a complete set of replacement bits on hand before I start. 

Terry Kennedy

Post by Terry Kennedy » Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:30 am

[quote="dingo"]
Does one use two outer wheel seals per corner?
Is the inner seal the same in this application as the outer seal?
[/quote]

To be honest, I'm not sure. Randy says a complete car is 4 bearings, 4 seals. Tom S. said "Then you won't have to fuss with the additional seals that are pressed into the upright." Note plural seals and singular bearing. But the seals are cheap, so why not buy extras and you'll be all set?

I've been using bearings with integral seals on both sides. Some bearings have built-in seals and are pre-greased. Some are pre-greased with no seals. Some may be un-greased with no seals.

The grease is Sta-Lube SL3191. You have the right part numbers for the seals.

If you need new snap rings, they're McMaster-Carr 91985A321.

dingo

Post by dingo » Thu Dec 04, 2008 2:33 am

Thanks TK. 

I 'll buy another set of seals.  I can try to use the two I've just got on the one corner.  So I'll concentrate on right front and let everyone know. 
Yes thanks for the retaining ring information, but I'm fairly certain that I can remove the one that's in there now and reuse it. 

Heywood-Yablowme

Post by Heywood-Yablowme » Thu Dec 04, 2008 3:54 am

Many hub bearings come sealed. (like Terry said) No real need for more seals if the bearings have them already. I have not done a set on the Atom yet,but I can't imagine they require inner and outer seals,unless it is an old design where the bearing is not available with preinstalled seals.

wisp

Post by wisp » Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:18 pm

[quote="ftw  (for the win)"]
Many hub bearings come sealed. (like Terry said) No real need for more seals if the bearings have them already. I have not done a set on the Atom yet,but I can't imagine they require inner and outer seals,unless it is an old design where the bearing is not available with preinstalled seals.
[/quote]

The photos at the start of this thread show rubber seals fitted with bearings that are already sealed. Whereas my car uses sealed bearings on their own.

There is a bit more information on bearings in these other threads....

http://forum.atomclub.com/index.php/topic,7355.0.html

http://forum.atomclub.com/index.php/topic,4171.0.html

1965Cobra427

Post by 1965Cobra427 » Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:33 pm

Descriptions, photos, part numbers, etc. for Brammo Atoms (rear) are found here http://forum.atomclub.com/index.php/topic,5331.45.html

I have not changed my fronts, though they have weeped a little lube (slight) off and on for two years.

dingo

Post by dingo » Sun Dec 07, 2008 4:45 am

Well that seal listed above NAPA on line etc. is not the right one for that bearing. 
So I'm looking for a sealed bearing now and also continuing to search for the right seal.

1965Cobra427

Post by 1965Cobra427 » Sun Dec 07, 2008 7:39 pm

[quote="dingo"]
Well that seal listed above NAPA on line etc. is not the right one for that bearing. 
So I'm looking for a sealed bearing now and also continuing to search for the right seal.
[/quote]

Those PN's came from Brammo - Fit my car no problem.

Terry Kennedy

Post by Terry Kennedy » Sun Dec 07, 2008 8:36 pm

[quote="dingo"]
[/quote]

Is it possible you thought it was supposed to go in the bearing race? It goes over the whole end of the bearing.

dingo

Post by dingo » Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:52 pm

Yes, TK, that is what I'd thought. 
The inner face of the seal actually comes preloaded with grease, suggesting that it is supposed to slip over the outer bore of the inner race.
That is not how it fits, but is how that seal is designed to operate.  I'd prefer to find a sealed unit and use this seal as supplement.

Mark S (Thanks Mark) from TMI wrote in connection to this matter as follows:

"The front hubs used on the Atom 3 are different than the units by Brammo; The UK is a rover part and the Brammo part is a Honda.  One item that this difference brings up is that different wheels would be required if you switched as the bolt circle is different between the 2 units.  So to answer your question....Yes, Brammo did change the unit significantly. 

The Atom 3 utilizes a stub axle and the Atom 2 uses a bolt to hold the bearing.

The bearings and seals in the front of the Brammo Atom come from an '85 Honda Accord and can be sourced locally at any jobber. The Bearing is a B32 "

Heywood-Yablowme

Post by Heywood-Yablowme » Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:18 pm

Very interesting,indeed! So,Brammo Atom frt hubs are 1985 Honda Accord(with carb).   I wonder if the rear hub is the same?

It looks like the B32 bearing does not come sealed,however,the Beck/Arnley bearing 0513863 is a sealed unit.(same application)

What is the bolt pattern on UK Ranger hub Atoms?
Last edited by Heywood-Yablowme on Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dingo

Post by dingo » Mon Dec 08, 2008 4:14 pm

UK hub pattern from previous study is 4*100
4 (bolts) * 100 (millimeters) linear distance between adjacent bolt centers.

Thanks for getting specific with the Beck\Arney catalog #.

Heywood-Yablowme

Post by Heywood-Yablowme » Mon Dec 08, 2008 4:58 pm

Brammo Atom is 4x100bp,so...if they are different,how?