Wheel bearing replacement

1965Cobra427

Wheel bearing replacement

Post by 1965Cobra427 » Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:09 pm

In case anybody wants to stock some spare wheel bearings and seals for their Brammo built Atom, Here are the part numbers:

This post has been modified to correct a previous inaccuracy.

Wheel bearings:
http://www.napaonline.com/MasterPages/N ... ront+Wheel

NAPA part number BRGB32 - This wheel bearing is also sold by most other parts houses, O'Riely, AutoZone, etc. under their own part number. Have them do a search in wheel bearings for "559225" It also carries a FAG part number 051-3863 and a SKF/NGK part number 51 2578.

$62.99  each at NAPA

Wheel bearing seal:
http://www.napaonline.com/MasterPages/N ... ront+Wheel

NAPA part number NOS18727 This wheel bearing is also sold by most other parts houses, O'Riely, AutoZone, etc. under their own part number. Have them do a search in oil seals for "18727"

$9.69 each at NAPA

A complete car set includes (4) wheel bearings and (4) wheel seals.

You will need a gear puller to remove the hub from the axle and a hydraulic press to remove/replace bearings in the uprights. Simple job with the right tools.

Be sure to pack the seal with high temperature disc brake wheel bearing grease on reassembly and torque axle nuts to 200 ft/lb.  :)

Last edited by 1965Cobra427 on Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

maverick1

Re: Wheel bearing replacement

Post by maverick1 » Fri Aug 24, 2007 10:28 pm

And remember to check the hub axle nuts before every track day, to avoid any unnecessary heartache.
Randy, glad to see you have her put back together.
cheers

rfmarz@frontiernet

Post by rfmarz@frontiernet » Mon Aug 27, 2007 12:15 am

This is really great information! I still can't help but long for a maintenance manual that has these super photos, part numbers, torque ratings, etc.,etc! Obviously there are things that mere mortals, such as myself, won't be able to competently do, but an explanation with pictures, like these, are invaluable!!! :o How about another catagory in the threads that has do do only with maintanance?  Moderators?

wisp

Post by wisp » Mon Aug 27, 2007 2:26 pm

[quote="maverick1"]
And remember to check the hub axle nuts before every track day, to avoid any unnecessary heartache.
cheers
[/quote]

I dont care how often you get around to checking them but that wheel shaft and nut should have some kind of retainer or locking mechanism. My car has a slot at the end of the shaft that has a portion of the nut locked into it.

You could replace the nut, shown in the photo above, with a castle nut (pictured below) and drill a hole through the shaft for a thick split pin. The use of castle nuts and split pins is pretty standard in the hubs of many cars. I don't see why the Atom should be an exception.
Attachments
castlenut.jpg
castlenut.jpg (2.25 KiB) Viewed 1846 times

Bottoz

Post by Bottoz » Mon Aug 27, 2007 5:54 pm

Even after torquing my axle nut to 200 this weekend... it still managed to come loose during an on track session this weekend. Luckily, this time nothing broke.

bolus

Post by bolus » Mon Aug 27, 2007 6:50 pm

Definitely sounds like we need to go with the castle nuts.  I saw a few race prepped cars at my last track day with these in place. 

maverick1

Post by maverick1 » Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:43 pm

[quote="wisp"]
[quote="maverick1"]
cheers
[/quote]

I dont care how often you get around to checking them but that wheel shaft and nut should have some kind of retainer or locking mechanism. My car has a slot at the end of the shaft that has a portion of the nut locked into it.

You could replace the nut, shown in the photo above, with a castle nut (pictured below) and drill a hole through the shaft for a thick split pin. The use of castle nuts and split pins is pretty standard in the hubs of many cars. I don't see why the Atom should be an exception.

[/quote]
That sounds like a great idea. I guess the only way it could come loose is if it were to brake the locking pin. Are there any downsides to using this system?
cheers

1965Cobra427

Post by 1965Cobra427 » Tue Aug 28, 2007 1:18 am

[quote="Spanky"]
I just got back from a trip to the NAPA store. And now I am confused. The "associate" showed me on his parts search screen that both of these bearings mentioned earlier are interchangeable. And as a matter of fact, it showed a third bearing (from China!!!!) that are suppose to be the same application, just differant quality.
[/quote]

They are two different sizes. I'll post a photo of the two side-by-side when I get back out to my shop.

1965Cobra427

Post by 1965Cobra427 » Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:59 pm

Time for me to eat some crow. I carefully measured and photographed the bearings today and this is what I found.

[img width=800 height=533]http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h269/ ... GP2587.jpg[/img]

The bearing on the left came from the smaller box behind it. It was made in Canada under the FAG brand under the part # 051-3863

The bearing on the right was made in Japan and marked NGK (NAPA packaging says SKF). NAPA part number B32 other numbers on the NAPA box include 51 and 2578

[img width=800 height=533]http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h269/ ... GP2590.jpg[/img]

Apart from their packaging differences, the FAG bearing appears to have an integral seal (both sides) while the NGK/SKF is open.

Dimensionally they are pretty much identical.

[img width=800 height=533]http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h269/ ... GP2591.jpg[/img]

Sorry for the previous misleading post. I relied on the difference in packaging size and cost and drew the wrong conclusion.  :doh:

maverick1

Post by maverick1 » Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:39 am

[quote="1965Cobra427"]
Time for me to eat some crow. I carefully measured and photographed the bearings today and this is what I found.

[img width=800 height=533]http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h269/ ... GP2587.jpg[/img]

The bearing on the left came from the smaller box behind it. It was made in Canada under the FAG brand under the part # 051-3863

The bearing on the right was made in Japan and marked NGK (NAPA packaging says SKF). NAPA part number B32 other numbers on the NAPA box include 51 and 2578

[img width=800 height=533]http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h269/ ... GP2590.jpg[/img]

Apart from their packaging differences, the FAG bearing appears to have an integral seal (both sides) while the NGK/SKF is open.

Dimensionally they are pretty much identical.

[img width=800 height=533]http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h269/ ... GP2591.jpg[/img]

Sorry for the previous misleading post. I relied on the difference in packaging size and cost and drew the wrong conclusion.  :doh:
[/quote]
Randy is one bearing any better than the other. Is having an integral seal (both sides) better than an open bearing..? Pros and cons?
Cheersâ?¢

rfmarz@frontiernet

Post by rfmarz@frontiernet » Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:45 am

I doubt there's any question that the protected bearing may have a slight (insignificant) amount of drag but it sure is easier to keep the bearings and races cleaner! Randy?

1965Cobra427

Post by 1965Cobra427 » Thu Aug 30, 2007 4:43 pm

It seems to me that the cleaner the better. Of course in the Atom design, an additional seal is applied too, so I think cleanliness is pretty good regardless.

NathanE

Post by NathanE » Thu Aug 30, 2007 4:56 pm

Presumably, if you drill the axle to put a lock pin in through the castle nut, you need to tighten the nut to exactly the same position every time it is replaced?

Could this lead to problems if components are not exactly the same size or threads on replacement nuts are not cut exactly the same in relation to the castlations?

1965Cobra427

Post by 1965Cobra427 » Thu Aug 30, 2007 5:03 pm

[quote="Mr.Toad"]
Presumably, if you drill the axle to put a lock pin in through the castle nut, you need to tighten the nut to exactly the same position every time it is replaced?

Could this lead to problems if components are not exactly the same size or threads on replacement nuts are not cut exactly the same in relation to the castlations?
[/quote]

Only has to be within 1/6 of a turn. Pretty easy in actual practice.

Bottoz

Post by Bottoz » Thu Aug 30, 2007 5:18 pm

Per an e-mail from Tom, I've added Loctite® and re-torqued back to 200 on Monday. If it comes loose again... then it's back to the drawing board. I'd rather not try to drill into that axle. If you're off a few degrees, then it won't line up correctly at the other end of the castle nut  :o