notes for the brammo 300hp upgrade procedure

bolus

Re: notes for the brammo 300hp upgrade procedure

Post by bolus » Tue Sep 11, 2007 1:18 am

[quote="Bottoz"]
The one I used belonged to a performance/tuning shop here. I don't think they'll let me ship it to ya. But, you can rent one from intense-racing.com, it's under the  GM ECOTEC/Pulleys & Belts section. LINK.

[/quote]

Did you have to remove the supercharger?  the website says that is must be removed:
"Using this tool requires the removal of the M62 Blower on the Ecotec 2.0L LSJ motor first."

jim@rebelautoworxs

Post by jim@rebelautoworxs » Tue Sep 11, 2007 1:25 am

[quote="bolus"]
[quote="Bottoz"]
The one I used belonged to a performance/tuning shop here. I don't think they'll let me ship it to ya. But, you can rent one from intense-racing.com, it's under the  GM ECOTEC/Pulleys & Belts section. LINK.

[/quote]

Did you have to remove the supercharger?  the website says that is must be removed:
"Using this tool requires the removal of the M62 Blower on the Ecotec 2.0L LSJ motor first."
[/quote]

if you have the room, the supercharger does not have to be removed.  For example, on the Saturn Ion Redline (2.0L Ecotec SC) the pulley can be taken off without the removal of the supercharger.

Bottoz

Post by Bottoz » Tue Sep 11, 2007 1:35 am

Bolus - As Jim said, the SC can remain installed. All I needed to remove was the engine cover and the passenger rear shock.

silver

Post by silver » Tue Sep 11, 2007 4:00 pm

Bolus, with that particular tool (it's a harmonic balancer pulley removal tool from O'reillys to be specific)  There's absolutely no need to remove the shock.  BUT I had to use an impact wrench, there's no way it would have come off with a socket wrench.

Because of the unique action of the impact wrench, it is possible to simply hold the removal tool with one hand and the impact wrench in the other until it finally comes off.

OH and there was no POP like usual, it was more that it continually pushed it off the snout slowly but surely.

***UPDATE*** Brammo recommended getting a pulley installer from intense racing.com, I thought they rented the tool but they don't therefore if someone were to buy one it's $100....still looking for a better solution
Last edited by silver on Tue Sep 11, 2007 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Tue Sep 11, 2007 4:37 pm

[quote="silver"]
***UPDATE*** Brammo recommended getting a pulley installer from intense racing.com, I thought they rented the tool but they don't therefore if someone were to buy one it's $100....still looking for a better solution
[/quote]

Would you like the club to buy one for members' use?
Ariel Atom Owners Club founder, based in Central London

silver

Post by silver » Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:22 pm

Bruce, I can't speak for anyone else, so I don't really know.  What I can say is that it would benefit the members to have one that is designed to work specifically with this supercharger. But I don't know how many 300 owners are a member of the atom club (paid member I'm saying)  I am going to be recieving a modified pulley installer kit from a source which I will keep private unless he wants people to know who he is.  If being a member of the atom club grants us permission to ask for something like that then yes I think it would benefit a lot of people because you can not rent the correct parts at the local autoparts store here in the U.S.  You either modify one or you pay 100 for a real Cobalt version that works too.

In Any case, if you're offering then yes I think the atom club needs one that can then be sent around to all the owners who are going to do the updates themselves.

bolus

Post by bolus » Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:30 pm

oops, I just ordered one

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:27 pm

[quote="silver"]
Bruce, I can't speak for anyone else, so I don't really know.  What I can say is that it would benefit the members to have one that is designed to work specifically with this supercharger. But I don't know how many 300 owners are a member of the atom club (paid member I'm saying)  I am going to be recieving a modified pulley installer kit from a source which I will keep private unless he wants people to know who he is.  If being a member of the atom club grants us permission to ask for something like that then yes I think it would benefit a lot of people because you can not rent the correct parts at the local autoparts store here in the U.S.  You either modify one or you pay 100 for a real Cobalt version that works too.

In Any case, if you're offering then yes I think the atom club needs one that can then be sent around to all the owners who are going to do the updates themselves.
[/quote]

If there's snough support, I don't see why we couldn't do this.

Maybe this is something we can discuss at Atomfest - ways that the club can help the members...
Ariel Atom Owners Club founder, based in Central London

bolus

Post by bolus » Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:48 pm

I'll bring mine kit to Atomfest.  Anyone can borrow it and mail it back to me. 

silver

Post by silver » Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:52 pm

Update from Brammo, it looks like they got the connectors in for the injector harness (not sure how many) so we won't have to switch the original connector to the new harness.

If you don't know what I'm talking about....the harness they were sending out required that all the pins be removed and installed into the original connector, now it just comes all in one piece, making it a little easier on us.
Last edited by silver on Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bolus

Post by bolus » Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:54 pm

cool, but that wasn't a big deal. took me 2 minutes to sort it out. 

rfmarz@frontiernet

Post by rfmarz@frontiernet » Wed Sep 12, 2007 5:58 pm

My simple mind continues to get more confused. I called Brammo yesterday to have them explain the larger pulley "fix". He suggested that it would reduce the boost (performance) so that the engine would make less power and become less heat soaked over time. It APPEARS to me that the water injection will fix all of the reported problems all the way from the lack of cold HP to allow more power to be sustained. Why, then, would we be taking off the pulley that creates more compression in favor of a "lower" HP pulley and then add water injection ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? Sorry for the ignorant confusion.

silver

Post by silver » Wed Sep 12, 2007 6:03 pm

Brammo has nothing to do with water injection....they also didn't fix the problem.  All they did was offer to change us down to the stage 2 for free...which coincedentally creates less hp Peak but more across the band of power due to the engine not heat soaking

Brammo didn't create a fix for the stage 3 pulley nor did they create a way for the engine to be stable at a boost level that theh stage 3 pulley provides.

Others who want to get the full potential of the boost created by the stage 3 pulley have decided to try water injection as a way to reduce the heat soak of the engine.  Hopefully it will work, then anyone who would like to try is able to and those people are not confined to the restrictions of Simon and or Brammo.

bolus

Post by bolus » Wed Sep 12, 2007 6:08 pm

We cant tune the ECU yet.  so we got Brammo's upgraded tune, new injectors, much needed intake replaced( in my case).  the tune handles all this stuff.  But what we are doing different is leaving the smaller pulley and not replacing it and using water injection instead. 

silver

Post by silver » Wed Sep 12, 2007 6:13 pm

[quote="bolus"]
We cant tune the ECU yet.  so we got Brammo's upgraded tune, new injectors, much needed intake replaced( in my case).  the tune handles all this stuff.   But what we are doing different is leaving the smaller pulley and not replacing it and using water injection instead. 
[/quote]

"we" in this case means Darth Bolus and maybe some others....