notes for the brammo 300hp upgrade procedure

silver

notes for the brammo 300hp upgrade procedure

Post by silver » Wed Aug 22, 2007 4:09 am

I would like to have a thread for all 300hp owners to be able to refer to in order to assist other owners during their upgrade process.

I have removed the ECU today.  I used the directions that were emailed to me, also I noticed in the pic that they had removed the air intake however that was not part of the instructions and is not necessary to do in order to remove the ECU.

First is removing the wiring connections.  There is a black release button on the connector which is closer to you than the grey latch.  Push the button in with one hand and with the other grab the grey latch and swing it completely open.   Once you have done all three then grab the top connector and pull away from the ecu, towards the back of the car, and use your right hand on the right side of the connector to ensure you are removing it evenly, this will prevent rocking it back and forth and damaging the pins.  It is noted in the direction to be very careful not to damage the pins so BE CAREFUL.

Next, if you have a complete set of tools (I do not) this would be a piece of cake and take 5 minutes.  I on the other hand had to use multiple tools to get the job done and it still only took 8 minutes haha.

[img width=750 height=600]http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f343/ ... 0009_2.jpg[/img]

First, I have a 1/4 inch socket wrench with a 1/4 inch socket attached to a 3/16" allen wrench.  This works for top left bottom left and bottom right allen bolts.  however it's too thick to fit between the bolt and the air intake for the upper right bolt.  for that I used the crescent wrench fitted over just the 3/16" allen tip.

I recommend doing the upper right then bottom left then bottom right finally top left bolts.  The bolts actually screw into rubber mounts that are flexible and if you undo the top ones first it will the ECU will fall down and following this patter will get the most difficult one undone first and ensure less probability of damaging the rubber mounts.

In addition to the instructions that Joe provided this should allow anyone with just a few tools to remove the ECU in under 10 minutes.

Here's the front

[img width=750 height=600]http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f343/ ... 0011_2.jpg[/img]

and the back....notice the special GM racing sticker makes it almost feel official doesn't it ha!

[img width=750 height=600]http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f343/ ... 0012_1.jpg[/img]

I have the Brammo instructions in PDF but I don't know how to attach a PDF and I tried converting it to JPG but it is too hard to read...a little help and I'll get that up here too.

I hope this helps and you by reading this email you agree not to sue me if you screw something up!!!
Last edited by silver on Wed Aug 22, 2007 4:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

bolus

Re: notes for the brammo 300hp upgrade procedure

Post by bolus » Wed Aug 22, 2007 4:22 am

I thought you were going to wait for us to show you how to to it?  You cant just jump in and learn stuff on your own :)

silver

Post by silver » Wed Aug 22, 2007 4:23 am

well......yep I figured EVEN I could get the ECU out myself....as for the injectors I'm not so sure....pulley swap should be easy though

You'll have the rest of the parts back before me so I'm sure you will be posting the rest of the DIY.....yipee....learn me something please.

bolus

Post by bolus » Wed Aug 22, 2007 4:27 am

my week is 8/27 so it will be a while before I do mine. 

breakaway500

Post by breakaway500 » Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:24 am

Step one should be disconnect the battery.  :tu:

rfmarz@frontiernet

Post by rfmarz@frontiernet » Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:12 pm

It would sure be nice if representatives from Brammo would come to Atomfest equipped to help us out with this stuff!  I don't have the guts that silver has ;D. Nice job on the pics, though! But, if Brammo reps read this , see sentence # one. ;D ;D ;D

breakaway500

Post by breakaway500 » Wed Aug 22, 2007 2:05 pm

Very nervous...very nervous.My "week" is 9/18 and I am scared shitless about sending my brain to Brammo .I remember how long it took to get the exhaust repair components. I would much rather have the "upgrade" kit in hand before disassembling my car.I can control the repair procedure timetable,but I have NO control over getting the replacement components.Very nervous.....

DarthChicken

Post by DarthChicken » Wed Aug 22, 2007 7:01 pm

I suggest all of us post when we ship and receive our ECUs.  Mine went out Monday, 8/20.  I think I'll change my profile to state that, like we all do when we order

bolus

Post by bolus » Wed Aug 22, 2007 7:04 pm

I decided to go ahead and ship today so they can ship back to me next week hopefully

bolus

Post by bolus » Wed Aug 22, 2007 7:04 pm

[quote="rfmarz"]
It would sure be nice if representatives from Brammo would come to Atomfest equipped to help us out with this stuff!  I don't have the guts that silver has ;D. Nice job on the pics, though! But, if Brammo reps read this , see sentence # one. ;D ;D ;D
[/quote]

Bring your parts and the car and we'll help you do it

silver

Post by silver » Wed Aug 22, 2007 7:21 pm

shipped today so that's 3 of us that should get our parts shipped back out next Thurs or Fri....of course it takes 6 business days to ship back to Dallas  :(

DarthChicken

Post by DarthChicken » Wed Aug 22, 2007 7:46 pm

[quote="bolus"]
[quote="rfmarz"]
[/quote]

Bring your parts and the car and we'll help you do it
[/quote]

he'd need a second ECU to do that

Which is why we need to do a "how to" when we do our cars Bolus.

bolus

Post by bolus » Wed Aug 22, 2007 7:53 pm

I thought he was going to tow his car.  It would work if he had the ECU ahead of time.  But I definitely want to do the "how to"

silver

Post by silver » Wed Aug 22, 2007 7:55 pm

well since you sent in your ECU today....YOU CAN START TEARING YOUR CAR DOWN hint hint.......take some pics so I can start the tear down too

patentshark

Post by patentshark » Wed Aug 22, 2007 8:19 pm

joe told me to estimate approximately 2 weeks from sending the ecu to brammo until the new ecu is delivered to my door.  i will be putting this off a couple months so i can at least enjoy the remainder of the decent weather out here.