potential exhaust restriction

maverick1

Re: potential exhaust restriction

Post by maverick1 » Fri Nov 16, 2007 5:08 pm

I have replaced my origional exhaust with a Brammo updated one that uses 2 flex pipe areas. I was wondering if it's possible to use the old pipe and make a slip joint on it just in case the replacement exhaust does not hold up?
Is it just a matter of cutting out the flex area of the pipe and welding in 2 slightly different sized pipe ends that will slip into each other??? Once installed do you clamp them together or just leave them free to slide?
How exactly do slip joints work? Is it just a matter of slipping one pipe end into a slightly smaller pipe with a tight fit? Does it require any hardware to secure it like clamps or bands? I ask this because I found some Borla band style slip joints on ebay.
cheers
Attachments
slip joint.jpg
slip joint.jpg (7.94 KiB) Viewed 364 times
Last edited by maverick1 on Fri Nov 16, 2007 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mr.Woolery

Post by Mr.Woolery » Fri Nov 16, 2007 5:53 pm

[quote="Spanky"]
Someone suggested using a cast iron exhaust manifold. I found this ad online. No ram's horn loop and has the 4 into 2 into 1 configuration. Have no idea if it would fit into the Atom's "engine bay".

http://tunersource.gmblogs.com/Accessor ... fold/   

http://www.crateenginedepot.com/store/C ... 1C146.aspx
[/quote]

I don't think that would fit on the Atom.  By the looks of it, it would run into the frame.  If it DID fit, it would be a cool outlet for a stinger exhaust, though.  :laugh:

bolus

Post by bolus » Fri Nov 16, 2007 6:00 pm

Positron needs to post the pics of his setup.  coolest.... exhaust... EVAR

Mr.Woolery

Post by Mr.Woolery » Fri Nov 16, 2007 6:13 pm

[quote="bolus"]
Positron needs to post the pics of his setup.  coolest.... exhaust... EVAR

[/quote]

That got my attention...hey Positron, post some pics dammit!  Don't make me stalk you.  :laugh:

bolus

Post by bolus » Fri Nov 16, 2007 6:14 pm

He is going to hate me (his exhaust is modified for sound restriction but the final product looks cool as hell to me (I bet I'll be able to hear the scream from simon all the way here :) )

rfmarz@frontiernet

Post by rfmarz@frontiernet » Sat Nov 17, 2007 12:14 am

Mav, you may know that my single flex exhaust blew out the first day at AtomFest. It was replaced with the two flex pipe that you now have. While my pipe pretty much held up, the upper flex began blowing out within ~30 minutes on the track. It'll hold up on the street, but not the track. It never let go but the car sounds even more like a fart can than it did before. The twin flex exhaust is NOT a proper fix. Brammo will soon begin replacing our flex pipes with slippy pipes- whenever they receive what they're waiting for.

positron

Post by positron » Sat Nov 17, 2007 2:56 am

[quote="bolus"]
He is going to hate me (his exhaust is modified for sound restriction but the final product looks cool as hell to me (I bet I'll be able to hear the scream from simon all the way here :) )
[/quote]
[quote="The Masked Spaz"]
That got my attention...hey Positron, post some pics dammit!  Don't make me stalk you.  :laugh:
[/quote]
Was more scared of Bruce's scrutiny and ridicule, Imageit's got everything.. Hp increase without corresponding driver training, embossing, oil tanker fittings, 3" header back throughout and a Supertrapp 5" big ole poot can.. and mostly a chance to run at Laguna Seca..Image Will be running in two weeks..

Bare in mind, I almost didn't buy this car if I couldn't run at Laguna Seca's 92dB sound limit, so I am passionate about curing this debilitating disease. Last Sunday's test at Buttonwillow yielded 91dB without any supplemental disks which should yield no restriction penalty.
Nomex suit on..

oh and don't be eskerd.. it's only slide on for LS..
Last edited by positron on Sat Nov 17, 2007 3:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

maverick1

Post by maverick1 » Sat Nov 17, 2007 4:16 am

[quote="rfmarz"]
Mav, you may know that my single flex exhaust blew out the first day at AtomFest. It was replaced with the two flex pipe that you now have. While my pipe pretty much held up, the upper flex began blowing out within ~30 minutes on the track. It'll hold up on the street, but not the track. It never let go but the car sounds even more like a fart can than it did before. The twin flex exhaust is NOT a proper fix. Brammo will soon begin replacing our flex pipes with slippy pipes- whenever they receive what they're waiting for.
[/quote]
Rich I saw one of the AAE cars at Atomfest that had the slip joints on the exhaust. I guess Brammos new one may be similar.
I hope it's going to be on the house since the original ones are not working very well .
Cheersâ?¢

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Sat Nov 17, 2007 9:58 am

[quote="Positron #73"]
Was more scared of Bruce's scrutiny and ridicule[/quote]

Which you knew was coming...

I don't have to tell you it looks like someone's left their dick sticking out of their trousers, do I?
Ariel Atom Owners Club founder, based in Central London

positron

Post by positron » Sat Nov 17, 2007 3:32 pm

Thanks for the compliment, if it was that big and shiny it would be out on display as well..Image

For those who have not been around Laguna Seca at speed it is has a siren's song that is irresistible. (albeit under 92dB)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siren

I've accomplished something the factory(s) could not..
Last edited by positron on Sat Nov 17, 2007 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Sat Nov 17, 2007 7:03 pm

[quote="Spanky"]
Bruce,

I think you meant pants.

Frau Blucker.....................just checking.
[/quote]

Neigh!!!!
Ariel Atom Owners Club founder, based in Central London

rfmarz@frontiernet

Post by rfmarz@frontiernet » Sat Nov 17, 2007 11:14 pm

Yeah Bruce. That's REALLY hangin' left! :laugh:

bolus

Post by bolus » Sun Nov 18, 2007 12:03 am

I know positron has it just for function but I think it looks cool.  Very baja-bug like
Attachments
Baja01-02.JPG
Baja01-02.JPG (85.24 KiB) Viewed 312 times

positron

Post by positron » Sun Nov 18, 2007 12:50 am

Think very driving full throttle at Laguna Seca... Image otherwise going back to the Caddy..

Last edited by positron on Sun Nov 18, 2007 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

positron

Post by positron » Thu Dec 06, 2007 4:34 am

[quote="Positron #73"]
Thanks for the compliment, if it was that big and shiny it would be out on display as well..Image

For those who have not been around Laguna Seca at speed it is has a siren's song that is irresistible. (albeit under 92dB)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siren

I've accomplished something the factory(s) could not..
[/quote]

This just in...the sound God's smiled favorably on the patient - 87.6 dB flat out 3rd & 4th gear with 21 disks.. I'll add more until I get to 91.

How it sounds..