Inconsistant readings on my oil dipstick.

MadMaxedAtom

Re: Inconsistant readings on my oil dipstick.

Post by MadMaxedAtom » Fri Feb 22, 2008 5:31 pm

1/4 of a quart?

You are beeing overly cautious.

maverick1

Post by maverick1 » Sat Feb 23, 2008 1:25 am

[quote="Spanky"]
A bunch of you have tired to make a joke of this issue. But it is anything but. I find that the Ecotec's dipstick reading to be very unclear of what the oil level is. With the orientation of the dipstick's ribbed scale facing to the rear of the car as I insert it into the tube, I get very differant reading on the front versus the back side. Nothing about the dipstick's orientation is mentioned anywhere that I could find in my manual. But it must be important because the level readings are so differant depending on which side I look at. If I have the dipsick inserted backwards could mean that I am low on oil when with the other orientation would be telling me that I am near full. So I took a look at the engine block where the dipstick tube enters it, to see what angle it dips into the oil bath. It looks like it is at about 45 degees. Far from being straight up. So this confirms that one side of the stick will be deeper into the oil bath then the other side. Please no jokes...Maverick & I can't be the only ones uncomfortable about this very unclear reading about the very important status of the oil level.

Which way is the correct orientation of the dipstick as I insert it into its' tube?
[/quote]
Thanks Spanky.....and I thought I was loosing my mind.  LOL LOL
For those of you who are trying to visualize what the Ecotec dipstick looks like....here you go...
I still can't get a consistent reading. Why couldn't GM just just use an ordinary flat dipstick?
Cheersâ?¢
Attachments
IMG_2320 (Small).JPG
IMG_2320 (Small).JPG (24.71 KiB) Viewed 283 times

maverick1

Post by maverick1 » Sat Feb 23, 2008 1:26 am

pic2
Attachments
IMG_2318 (Small).JPG
IMG_2318 (Small).JPG (28.01 KiB) Viewed 272 times

MadMaxedAtom

Post by MadMaxedAtom » Sat Feb 23, 2008 1:36 am

"Why couldn't GM just just use an ordinary flat dipstick?"

Because it's not that critical.

That's why it has a safe operating range.

If you are down a 1/2 qt. it's not the end of the world.

If it gets down 1 qt. there should be a mild electrical shock administered every time you rev the engine above 4k rpm's.

If it gets down three qt's a large hammer should come out of the dash and bash you between the eyes.

If it gets down much lower,the engine will grab you by the shorties and haul your ass to a stop pretty quick.

I hate snow.... :'(

rfmarz@frontiernet

Post by rfmarz@frontiernet » Sun Feb 24, 2008 4:47 pm

I usually check mine BEFORE I go out for a ride. Only after the oil has drained to the sump can you accurately assess how much oil you have in the engine. Also, I don't think that it's at all critical. The oil in the Masterlube accumulator is designed as a pre-lube before startup and as a "cushion" oil source for high G maneuvers. Mine does not "drain down". Also, after 2800 miles and the trackdays at AtomFest plus two oil changes, I have never had to add oil. I use the Mobil 1 that's suggested.
Spanky, with six quarts in the smallish engine, I don't think that even being one quart low is an issue- especially with the accumulator. Just check it when it's been sitting and if it reads full, great. Just check it at the same time at the same place each time (I'm thinking about the garage before you go out) and you'll be able to detect changes.

bolus

Post by bolus » Mon Feb 25, 2008 2:36 am

Here is the reason it reads different from one side to another.  The tip of the dipstick has one side that presses on the dipstick tube.  So it is going to give you a different level on that side

maverick1

Post by maverick1 » Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:14 pm

[quote="bolus"]
Here is the reason it reads different from one side to another.  The tip of the dipstick has one side that presses on the dipstick tube.  So it is going to give you a different level on that side

[/quote]
Thanks Bolus....I was wondering why one side had oil on it that you could get a reading from and the other side was dry or way down.. now it makes sense. So how do you gents install the dipstick..ie the position of the end with the marks on it?
I much prefer a standard flat piece of metal with a couple notches or holes in it.
Cheersâ?¢