Brake Lighting Help!!

fiestycolumbian

Brake Lighting Help!!

Post by fiestycolumbian » Fri Jul 20, 2007 4:07 am

My rear brake lights are dim when I press the brake pedal, and when I turn on the parking lights, when I press the brake pedal they do not even turn on!!! I am very confused as to why this is happening. I replaced the brake switch coming from the master cylinder when I first got the car, that was when nothing happenned when I pushed the brake pedal, but now a signal is sent to the rear lights when pushing the brake pedal, so it cant be the switch.
Any suggestions??
Fiesty

nickpoore

Re: Brake Lighting Help!!

Post by nickpoore » Fri Jul 20, 2007 6:54 am

Sounds like it's time to break out the volt meter, and test the voltage reaching the bulbs...

silver

Post by silver » Fri Jul 20, 2007 7:10 am

There is a molex plug near the back of the car...it connects power to the brake lights reverse light rain light etc....check to see if it is unplugged...

Voltmeter is your friend on this one!

RyanD

Post by RyanD » Sat Jul 21, 2007 2:51 am

Take off the red covers and make sure the bulbs are tight.  If not, it can cause some strange results.

rfmarz@frontiernet

Post by rfmarz@frontiernet » Sat Jul 21, 2007 5:34 pm

AWWW Fiesty, what do ya need brakes for? :laugh: Sounds like a short. Good luck.

fiestycolumbian

Post by fiestycolumbian » Wed Jul 25, 2007 7:19 pm

I traced the problem to the bulbs not sitting and holding in the socket. any suggestions on how to keep the bulb in the socket in the right position? I have tried everything including tape, silicone, but nothing is able to cope with the vibration and heat surrounding these sockets.
Fiesty
PS- There are no words in the english dictionary to describe how useless these socket housings are, they are completely useless and not to mention bloody frustrating. Brammo has a fix, but can't release it until they get approval from the UK, and I find that is unacceptable that the UK Ariel has not allowed Brammo to release this to its customer, I mean brake light are very important!!

RyanD

Post by RyanD » Wed Jul 25, 2007 7:23 pm

[quote="fiestycolumbian"]
I traced the problem to the bulbs not sitting and holding in the socket. any suggestions on how to keep the bulb in the socket in the right position? I have tried everything including tape, silicone, but nothing is able to cope with the vibration and heat surrounding these sockets.
Fiesty
PS- There are no words in the english dictionary to describe how useless these socket housings are, they are completely useless and not to mention bloody frustrating. Brammo has a fix, but can't release it until they get approval from the UK, and I find that is unacceptable that the UK Ariel has not allowed Brammo to release this to its customer, I mean brake light are very important!!
[/quote]

We're all with you.  Wait for a fix from Brammo or replace them with LED lights or some other replacement lights.  In the meantime, avoid driving at night and hope the police don't notice.

rfmarz@frontiernet

Post by rfmarz@frontiernet » Wed Jul 25, 2007 7:29 pm

Yeah, and don't hit the brakes hard if someone is behind you.

Bruce Fielding

Post by Bruce Fielding » Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:45 pm

I find it interesting that hardly any of the Brit contingent (with the possible exception of Mr Lloyd) have as much trouble with brake lights as you guys do. I don't suppose it could be the bulbs available in the US as opposed to the holders?
Ariel Atom Owners Club founder, based in Central London

John Lloyd

Post by John Lloyd » Wed Jul 25, 2007 10:21 pm

[quote="Bruce Fielding"]
I find it interesting that hardly any of the Brit contingent (with the possible exception of Mr Lloyd) have as much trouble with brake lights as you guys do. I don't suppose it could be the bulbs available in the US as opposed to the holders?
[/quote]

On a mile per bulb (or should that be a bulb per mile) basis I'm no worse than anyone else.  I've been trying to crack 23,000 miles (not bulbs), but it hasn't stopped rainning for 2 months.

RyanD

Post by RyanD » Wed Jul 25, 2007 10:50 pm

[quote="Bruce Fielding"]
[/quote]

It's possible that the pins on the sides of the bulbs are different.  It seems like they don't have enough interference with the housing.  The housings have "J" shaped slots to hold the pins.  If the pins aren't long enough, they will slip out.  I'm not sure, but I think that's what happened to mine.

silver

Post by silver » Thu Jul 26, 2007 5:09 pm

you'd be surprised what things Brammo is being prevented from doing cough cough :doh:

cshama

Post by cshama » Sat Jul 28, 2007 5:50 am

Contact Joe Wissman at Brammo and he will help you. They have a fix.

cshama

Post by cshama » Sun Jul 29, 2007 5:39 pm

Why you are waiting for the Brammo replacement I have a quick but nasty fix. Smear epoxy around the base of the bulb nd insert it. It will not lose contact again. Changing burnt out bulbs wont be easy though. My feeling is that it is such a safety/legal problem that I wanted something done asap.

fiestycolumbian

Post by fiestycolumbian » Mon Jul 30, 2007 7:53 pm

Thanks cshama, Joe is already sending me the interim replacements, should get it this week.
I tried epoxy/silicone, but the socket was so bad, that nothing would be able to hold it, anyways, lets trade notes once we get the new ones installed.
Fiesty