Brake Lighting Help!!

Lane

Re: Brake Lighting Help!!

Post by Lane » Tue Jul 31, 2007 1:34 am

Well, I've read about everyone's bulb problems and it just happened to me.  Unfortunate part was I was in the middle of my registration inspection with a state patrol inspector and the fact that I drove there (and now had to drive home) with non-functioning brake lights didn't go over very well.  :-[

As suggested in another post, a few tiny dots of solder on the bulb side posts appeared to help.
Image 300hp Ecotec Atom that is driven.  Visit my website.

Terry Kennedy

Re: Brake Lighting Help!!

Post by Terry Kennedy » Tue Jul 31, 2007 4:59 am

[quote="Lane"]
Well, I've read about everyone's bulb problems and it just happened to me.  Unfortunate part was I was in the middle of my registration inspection with a state patrol inspector and the fact that I drove there (and now had to drive home) with non-functioning brake lights didn't go over very well.  :-[[/quote]

Take a look at my "spare parts I carry in my car" list.

1156 and 1157 bulbs (get ones with silver-colored bases, not brass) and a screwdriver will set you right. And most inspectors will accept an "on-the-spot" repair, particularly if you assure them that you checked when you left the house and everything was good then.

silver

new light sockets

Post by silver » Wed Nov 14, 2007 10:55 pm

I had Brammo send me new light fittings.  My front clear lamps haven't worked properly since day one and my rear brake lights didn't work with regular bulbs, but I managed to get LED bulbs to stay in there...just by luck they're a little different on the size of the posts at the base of the bulb.

Anyways, I don't have my Atom here to test, but, I'm probably the most recent one to recieve the new housings and I plan on installing them myself, and I wanted to comment for anyone else needing replacements.  The most current version I recieved looks identical at least from memory, however the fitment is WAY WAY better.  When you insert the bulb and depress the bulb and turn it so that it seats in the housing, there's no doubt it's going to stay put.  In contrast the original ones when you pushed the bulb in and twisted  it, it would pop back out unless you did it JUST right.

I'll take close up pics when I get my car back so I can post the difference for everyone to see.  But for now I wanted to post up so that if there's anyone else needing replacements they know the newest rendition seems to be the best.